Russia and the media | World Defense

Russia and the media

Kessen

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Does anyone feel like Russia isn't really as bad as the media makes them out to be? I feel like I can't really turn on the TV without the news or something else trying to tell me that Russia is evil and I should hate them. They are a sovereign nation and have every right to pass laws and defend their interests just like we do in the states.

I might not agree with what they do, but is it really our place to condemn them for doing the same kinds of things that we do at home?

It reminds me of the joke about mormons judging other mormons at the bar...

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Does the media even have a choice in the matter? Freedom of the press is an illusion. It has been said more than once that the government is controlled by a small group of individuals who also control the media and the finances of the country. It's no conspiracy theory that. Since it serves their interests, these small group of people will tell the media what is expected. So should the media be told to make the public hate and distrust Russia the news will portray Russia in a negative light.

NewsFocus
The Corporate Media And Network News Is Controlled And Works Against Us

Many have realized long ago that our politicians will lie to us at the drop of a hat, but most have no clue that our news media lies and deceives us just as much, if not more so.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The Philippines has its own cold war with China. For that, local newspapers are understandably have a slant when it comes to relations with China. There's even a group here advocating a boycott of Chinese products. In the US, I guess it is the same when they portray Russia as a bad country. There is a parallelism in both relations that I mentioned.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think the Russian leadership have in fact done the things that reputable media outlets (e.g. the BBC) say they have. And I think that is very very very worrying.

It is not about "picking on" a country just to be mean, it is about the international situation we are all part of and the role different national leaderships have.

Russia and China are both on a path of escalating readiness and bluster. Any decent news outlet should be covering that.

Is there also some bias? Yes. But the internet allows people to see reports of the same event represented with the different kinds of bias out there and draw their own conclusions.