Russia Clears its Most Advanced Fighter for Export; How the Su-57 Can Appeal to Middle Eastern Clients | World Defense

Russia Clears its Most Advanced Fighter for Export; How the Su-57 Can Appeal to Middle Eastern Clients

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
The Russian government has reportedly granted authorisation for the export of the Su-57 fifth generation air superiority fighter, which is currently in low level initial production. The fighter has seen limited combat service in the Russian Air Force during its deployment to Syria in February 2018, and represents the first heavy high performance fifth generation platform to be marketed for export by any country. The Su-57 entered service following its respective U.S. and Chinese analogues the F-22 and J-20, and while the former two have been reserved exclusively for use by their manufacturing nations Russia has by contrast sought export clients for its own platform since the project was first conceptualised in the mid 2000s.

article_5c9f5763073bc7_90895063.jpeg

Su-57 Stealth Fighter

The Su-57 represents a replacement for the Su-27 Flanker design, which entered service in the Soviet Air Force in 1985, and is currently one of just two fifth generation fighters available on export markets - the other being the American F-35 Lighting II. The F-35 represents a very different type of aircraft however, and is not designed for high end air superiority missions. The platform is this configured for short ranged missions with a single engine and far lighter weight. The F-35 carries just half the air to air missile payload of the Su-57, is considerably slower and less manoeuvrable, and is far more restricted in its maximum flight altitude and maximum air to air engagement range. The Su-57’s superior performance specifications in most fields, with the sole exception of its radar cross section, combined with a low price comparable to cheaper F-35 variants - and likely to fall further once it begins mass production - means that the aircraft could potentially be a highly attractive export.

article_5c9f5780ea2be7_71736757.jpg

Su-57 Fifth Generation Fighter

Unlike the United States, which bans all export of the F-22 and is highly selective regarding its sales of even the lower end and lighter F-35 - reserved for its closest allies alone - Russia has indicated a willingness to market the Su-57 to any and all potential clients. This means that states which would be unable to acquire the F-22 or the F-35, including lower level U.S. allies, will have access to the Su-57. It was as a result of this that Viktor Kladov, the director for international co-operation and regional policy at Russia's Rostec defence industrial holding company, stated when announcing plans to export the aircraft in March 2019 that the Middle East was a region of particular interest for sales of the Su-57. A number of Arab Gulf States could potentially be leading clients for the fighter - with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) already reportedly jointly investing in fifth generation technologies with Russia. An export variant of the fighter is thus speculated to be making its debut at the Dubai Airshow in November.

article_5c9f573c0a6801_60555288.jpg

U.S. Air Force F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters

The UAE has repeatedly sought to acquire the American F-35, though Israeli pressure has reportedly prevented such a sale to ensure a continuing advantage for Washington’s more established regional defence partner. Saudi Arabia too, while showing no interest in the F-35 and consistently favouring heavier twin engine aircraft such as the F-15SA, could potentially be interested in the Su-57 to eventually replace the older F-15C air superiority fighters in its fleet and provide it with an advantage over the increasingly sophisticated platforms deployed by neighbouring states. These include Israeli and Turkish F-35s, Qatari F-15QAs and possibly Iranian Su-30 fighters - a contract for which is reportedly currently under negotiation. The Su-57 would retain a distinct advantage over all these platforms, and remains well within Saudi means to acquire. Riyadh’s deteriorating relations with the Western Bloc in recent years, and unprecedented interest in acquiring Russian arms, could well facilitate such a acquisition - which would considerably reduce its reliance on Western equipment which currently comprises its entire fleet.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Unlike the United States, which bans all export of the F-22 and is highly selective regarding its sales of even the lower end and lighter F-35 - reserved for its closest allies alone - Russia has indicated a willingness to market the Su-57 to any and all potential clients. This means that states which would be unable to acquire the F-22 or the F-35, including lower level U.S. allies, will have access to the Su-57. It was as a result of this that Viktor Kladov, the director for international co-operation and regional policy at Russia's Rostec defence industrial holding company, stated when announcing plans to export the aircraft in March 2019 that the Middle East was a region of particular interest for sales of the Su-57. A number of Arab Gulf States could potentially be leading clients for the fighter - with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) already reportedly jointly investing in fifth generation technologies with Russia. An export variant of the fighter is thus speculated to be making its debut at the Dubai Airshow in November.
@Khafee Is it true? Will PAF-FA (Export) be there? And is there an air show next month? Does UAE prefer F-35 or SU-57 OR NONE ?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
@Khafee Is it true? Will PAF-FA (Export) be there? And is there an air show next month? Does UAE prefer F-35 or SU-57 OR NONE ?

Generally speaking, If you ask anyone, Western vs Russian, they will always prefer Western.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
The UAE has repeatedly sought to acquire the American F-35, though Israeli pressure has reportedly prevented such a sale to ensure a continuing advantage for Washington’s more established regional defence partner. Saudi Arabia too, while showing no interest in the F-35 and consistently favouring heavier twin engine aircraft such as the F-15SA, could potentially be interested in the Su-57 to eventually replace the older F-15C air superiority fighters in its fleet and provide it with an advantage over the increasingly sophisticated platforms deployed by neighbouring states. These include Israeli and Turkish F-35s, Qatari F-15QAs and possibly Iranian Su-30 fighters - a contract for which is reportedly currently under negotiation. The Su-57 would retain a distinct advantage over all these platforms, and remains well within Saudi means to acquire. Riyadh’s deteriorating relations with the Western Bloc in recent years, and unprecedented interest in acquiring Russian arms, could well facilitate such a acquisition - which would considerably reduce its reliance on Western equipment which currently comprises its entire fleet.
If that's the case, why don't we try to pursue this with USA and SA? They would be very costly, YES. Possible weapons sale blockage? YES. Bad option ? NO. Just like we were trying for EFT T1. I know this is america, it won't but as you mentioned, they want to reduce our total integration into chinese bloc? Couldn't we try

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan

Generally speaking, If you ask anyone, Western vs Russian, they will always prefer Western.
Yea, i have heard that quite a lot. Me with no piloting experience, when i compare russian cockpit displays, and generally cockpits with NATO cockpits, i get strange vibes from russian one's, looks strange, dunno why.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Yea, i have heard that quite a lot. Me with no piloting experience, when i compare russian cockpit displays, and generally cockpits with NATO cockpits, i get strange vibes from russian one's, looks strange, dunno why.
I hope you will go to the airshow, and get us some exclusive pics.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
If that's the case, why don't we try to pursue this with USA and SA? They would be very costly, YES. Possible weapons sale blockage? YES. Bad option ? NO. Just like we were trying for EFT T1. I know this is america, it won't but as you mentioned, they want to reduce our total integration into chinese bloc? Couldn't we try
The older F15's will get upgraded in due course as well. So they are here to stay for the next 15~20yrs min.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
I hope you will go tot the airshow, and get us some exclusive pics.
I do have a plan to visit UAE next month coincidentally. I Did watch 2017 air show briefly, dont remember correctly, it was a raptop i think as i was near mirdif. Will Thunder be performing this year? B has also matured quite a bit, will it be there as well as a mock up or performer ?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I do have a plan to visit UAE next month coincidentally. I Did watch 2017 air show briefly, dont remember correctly, it was a raptop i think as i was near mirdif. Will Thunder be performing this year? B has also matured quite a bit, will it be there as well as a mock up or performer ?
Thunder will be there.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Thunder will be there.
To perform or just a mock up? Asking because the participation is usually confirmed during the end days

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
I have to say, just looking at those pictures, the SU-57 doesn't look very stealthy
Yea, especially the inlet and engine rear bottom engine, heat radiated openly

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
To perform or just a mock up? Asking because the participation is usually confirmed during the end days
Not sure of the air display, but it will be on static display for sure.