Russia completes assembly of Iveco armoured vehicles

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
1454024_-_main.jpg
\

Russia has completed the assembly of 358 Iveco LMV-M65 vehicles, Russian state news agency TASS reported on 10 November.

Moscow contracted for an initial batch of 358 of the vehicles it calls Rys (Lynx) in 2011, but by early 2013 had announced it would end its co-operation with Iveco at that point. Its original deal with the company envisaged the co-production of as many as 1,775 vehicles under a contract worth up to USD1 billion.

Oleg Bochkarev, deputy chairman of the Russian Military-Industrial Commission, told the news agency that Moscow does not plan more output of the Italian-licensed light multipurpose vehicles for the Ministry of Defence. "We have declined further production of these vehicles, and under current conditions this would generally be, I think, impossible," he said.

IHS Jane's contacted Iveco for confirmation of the completion of the programme but a company spokesperson declined to comment, citing a confidentiality agreement.

Rys was the initial effort of former president Dmitry Medvedev and Minister of Defence Anatoly Serdyukov to drive down the cost of Russian military systems by opening the domestic market to foreign competition.

Serdyukov's successor, Sergei Shoigu, however, has placed a priority on improving ties between the military and industry. He ordered new trials of the Russian-designed GAZ Tigr armoured vehicle against Rys. In these trials, the Tigr was judged better suited to Russia's requirements than Iveco's product.

Russia completes assembly of Iveco armoured vehicles - IHS Jane's 360

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
178858189.jpg

Looks tough to me.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
I like the design of this one, it looks well put together, It's a bit small than a hummer, but I'm sure it's for a good reason.