Russia fires warning shot at Turkey boat in Aegean

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Russia fires warning shot at Turkey boat in Aegean - BBC News

"A Russian defence ministry statement said the Turkish vessel approached to 600m (1,800ft) before turning away in response to Russian small arms fire."

I wonder what, or if, Turkey will have to say about this?

Russia should keep in mind that Turkey isn't ISIS. Turkey will fight back strongly and firmly at the russkies and if things went wrong NATO might get involved in the game. That will bring Russia down to its knees.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Is that warning shot in retaliation to Turkey's act of shooting down the Russian warplane? It seems to me that Russian and Turkish military are at odds over that incident of downing the warplane. This is not to mean there is an animosity between the 2 countries but only between some of their military troops who still have to move on from that incident. And I hope this does not lead to something serious.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Russia fires warning shot at Turkey boat in Aegean - BBC News

"A Russian defence ministry statement said the Turkish vessel approached to 600m (1,800ft) before turning away in response to Russian small arms fire."

I wonder what, or if, Turkey will have to say about this?
They don't have to do anything because in the long run, Russia is going to pay for all it's done. Russia needs Turkey because of the pipeline which would get all of Russia's future supplies of natural gas to the EU. Now they have but one option, use the old route [through Ukraine]. Either they need to make friends with their enemies fast or this will at some indefinite time in future negatively impact Russia's economy. If this year was bad for them, I think what's coming is much worse.

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
This is significant but I don't see Russia as a warning shot retaliation kind of country. I think the warning shot was real, being that the ship did come close to restricted waters. I do not think it was retaliation. From history when Russia retaliates we would not have to guess or speculate about it. I do think that things are getting tense, but Turkey and Russia kind of need each other so I see this working out just fine. Also if Russia does fire on Turkey and Turkey in return asks the US for help, what then? So lets just keep everything nice and calm for now please Russia.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Considering Russia had one of their warplanes brought down by a Turkish air force F-16 in a questionable location, I do not think Russia would hesitate that much in firing on something of Turkish origin if it gets a little too near to their stuff. In a way, you have to give a hand to Russia for not just sinking the boat outright and just giving it a warning shot.

It's highly likely the boat had no malicious intent, but Russia is bound to be a little wary at the moment.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
This is going to be tense. Russia is well aware how much they need Turkey, however, if something happens NATO will get involved and that is going to be a start of something bigger than just a warning shot. Maybe they want to provoke that but I think if they want to do that it will not be now and not like this. Starting a conflict with NATO will be a global war and if you add all the fights and crisis around the globe it would be hellish scenario. I have no idea what have the big directors chosen to film yet but knowing them from the past i believe it will not be a comedy.

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Considering Russia had one of their warplanes brought down by a Turkish air force F-16 in a questionable location, I do not think Russia would hesitate that much in firing on something of Turkish origin if it gets a little too near to their stuff. In a way, you have to give a hand to Russia for not just sinking the boat outright and just giving it a warning shot.

It's highly likely the boat had no malicious intent, but Russia is bound to be a little wary at the moment.

I totally agree. That is why I think it was just that a warning shot. If they wanted to retaliate given Russia's past that ship would have been in a thousand pieces. I do think it served a purpose to let Turkey know there won't be many more mess ups. I think this was at least strong enough to keep Turkey from shooting down another Russian plane. The Russians are moving battleships closer. They can't stop anything from the distance they are sitting but they can retaliate with brutal force. Hopefully it doesn't get to that.

moeller321

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I doubt Russia would engage in military action against turkey, especially after the outcry regarding Crimea. It would also be unwise for turkey to engage Russia considering the significant military diffrence. The warning shot was just that, a warning, Putin wants turkey to know Russia is not to be pushed.