Russia 'preparing for war' against Britain and Nato as Ukraine conflict escalates | World Defense

Russia 'preparing for war' against Britain and Nato as Ukraine conflict escalates

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
RUSSIA is gearing up for a war against Britain and Nato, according to alarming new claims.
By Patrick Maguire

PUBLISHED: 03:42, Wed, Aug 12, 2015 | UPDATED: 10:04, Wed, Aug 12, 2015

Russia-and-Nato-could-be-gearing-up-for-armed-conflict-597746.jpg

Russia and Nato could be gearing up for armed conflict

A leading European think tank has said a Russian military exercise in March demonstrated that Russia "is actively preparing for a conflict with Nato".

The European Leadership network also claimed a similar exercise by Nato in June indicated that the two powers were training their forces to get to grips with each other's strengths and military plans.

Spokesmen for Nato and Russia said the operations were designed with "hypothetical opponents" in mind.

The warning came just a day after defence secretary Michael Fallon warned the Russian separatists in Ukraine could seize more territory, and that the "red hot" conflict was set to escalate.

But the minister, who is currently in Ukraine, dismissed claims of an imminent war with Putin's Russia – but said he could not see an end to the conflict "any time soon".

He said: "Russia is continuing to test Nato's resolve, but we have shown we are standing firm."

Defence-Secretary-Michael-Fallon-330602.jpg

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon

However, Fallon added: "Seven thousand people have already died in the Ukraine, right on the doorstep of Europe, as Ukraine fights for its freedom.

"This is not a frozen conflict, it's still red hot.

Rebels this week launched their most intense artillery bombardments of Ukrainian government strongholds for six months, authorities said.

The defence secretary yesterday announced that Britain is to expand its programme of "non-lethal" assistance to train Ukraine's armed forces to deal with improvised explosive devices and mines.

There are currently 75 British military trainers in the country, and 1,000 Ukrainian soldiers have so far been supported by their presence.

Fallon said the mission – which works alongside four other Nato forces – aims to train 2,000 further troops by the end of the year.
Russia &[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG];preparing for war&[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG]; against Britain and Nato | UK | News | Daily Express

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Russia and Nato 'actively preparing for war'

Rival war games by Russian armed forces and Nato represent greatest build up of military tension in Europe since Cold War, warns think tank

rus_3405087b.jpg

Russian soldiers during a rehearsal for Victory Day Photo: Photoshot

By Roland Oliphant, Moscow

12:01AM BST 12 Aug 2015

Russia and Nato are actively preparing for war with one another amid the greatest build up of military tension in Europe since the end of the Cold War, a new report says.

Rival exercises by the Russian armed forces and Nato have led to several near-miss incidents that could result in confrontation between the two sides, and leaders need to consider a new arms control treaty to avert the possibility of heightened tensions spilling into war.

The report by the European Leadership Network, a think tank, comes amid the most intense fighting for six months in eastern Ukraine and as Michael Fallon, the defence minister, pledged to expand a British army training mission to Ukraine.

“We do not suggest that the leadership of either side has made a decision to go to war or that a military conflict between the two is inevitable, but that the changed profile of exercises is a fact and it does play a role in sustaining the current climate of tensions in Europe,” the authors write.

russia_3405082b.jpg

A military drill by mechanised infantry and engineer units of the Russian Armed Forces in Sergeyevsky last week (Barcroft)

The report outlines how both Nato and Russia have primed their forces to respond to an escalation since the Ukraine crisis erupted in early 2014.

The preparations include major military exercises by both Russia and Nato that appear designed exclusively to respond to one another’s capabilities and potential war plans.

”Whilst spokespeople may maintain that these operations are targeted against only hypothetical opponents, the nature and scale of the operations indicate otherwise,” the report writers say.

In March 2015, Russian conducted “snap exercises” that saw 80,000 troops engaged in long-range deployments and simulate combat on a scale that made the United States or Nato the only possibly adversary.

Nato’s exercise “Allied Shield,” in June this year, saw 15,000 allied troops engaged in a series of mock operations including response to a Crimea-style infiltration of irregular forces.

In both cases, the report writers find, the exercises focused on what the two sides perceive to be their most vulnerable areas, with and Nato moving to defend the Baltic States and Russia rushing reinforcements to the Arctic, its Baltic enclave of Kaliningrad, occupied Crimea, and Sakhalin island in the far east.

Allied Shield also included the first deployment of the Very High Readiness Taskforce, a rapid-reaction unit established at the Nato summit in Wales in 2014 in response to the annexation of Crimea.

The exercise, called ‘Noble Jump’, deployed 2,100 troops in a simulated a response to ‘unattibutable infiltration by an ally by irregular or special forces’ - essentially the scenario seen in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine since Early 2014.

The report recommends improvements in Nato-Russian communication to avert near misses and suggests working on a new arms treaty to restrict the use of conventional forces in Europe.

“If Russia or NATO decides at some point that they want to reduce tensions, showing restraint in terms of size or scenarios used for the exercises might be a good place to start,” the report writers conclude.

Russia and Nato 'actively preparing for war' - Telegraph

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
A European defense think-tank policy analysis reveals that NATO and Russia are bracing for a possible military confrontation.

1024465728.jpg

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and Russia are bracing for a possible military confrontation, a European defense think-tank policy analysis revealed Wednesday.

“Russia is preparing for a conflict with NATO, and NATO is preparing for a possible confrontation with Russia,” the European Leadership Network (ELN) brief stated.

The London-based institute cited two major military exercises conducted this year as grounds for its prognosis.

NATO held Allied Shield drills involving 15,000 personnel from 19 member states in a number of Eastern European nations in June. These included Trident Joust in Romania, BALTOPS, Saber Strike and Noble Jump – NATO’S first Very High Readiness Joint Task Force deployment – in Poland.

In March, 80,000 Russian troops and thousands of units of equipment took part in nationwide snap combat readiness inspections.

The ELN argued that the intensified nature and the scale of both exercises demonstrate the likelihood that “each side is training with the other side’s capabilities and most likely war plans in mind.”

The think-tank stopped short of suggesting an explicit decision has been reached, or that Russia-NATO conflict was inevitable, but said the changed profile of exercises is a “fact” that feeds into ongoing geopolitical tensions.

“These tensions are further aggravated and elevated into a sense of unpredictability when the exercises are not pre-notified or publicly announced beforehand,” the think-tank noted.

The ELN recommended a four-step pathway toward alleviating simmering tensions, including boosting NATO-Russia communication, examining drills in border areas, utilizing OSCE and Soviet-era confidence building measures channels. Additionally, the institute proposed the adoption of a new conventional arms control treaty.

Russia’s relations with the United States, the European Union and other Western states deteriorated sharply in the wake of the Ukrainian conflict, as well as NATO’s continuous eastward expansion.

Moscow has repeatedly claimed that NATO's increased activities near its borders undermine regional stability.

NATO Braces for Possible Military Conflict With Russia - Think-Tank / Sputnik International

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Russia’s war on the West: fire and fury

America is preparing a provocation against Russia. Possibly a war, almost certainly a local conflict, because its indebted economy can only be remedied by pillaging others. These are not the gibberings of a conspiracy theorist, but Sergei Naryshkin, chairman of Russia’s parliament and a close ally of Vladimir Putin’s, writing in the official state newspaper. Russia’s neighbours worry: the Kremlin often carries out the plans it ascribes to others. The likely cause of this bout of warmongering lies in the Russian economy. In the worst figures for six years, GDP shrank year-on-year by 4.6% in the second quarter. A tumbling rouble, low oil prices, a sharp drop in consumer spending, and sanctions which have cut Russia off from international capital markets all contribute to a deepening crisis. Unable to fix the economy, the Kremlin may indeed divert public attention inside the country by escalating tension abroad.

20150815_LAC358%20%281%29.png

Russia’s war on the West: fire and fury 2015-08-12 | Espresso

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
Do you really think that International Sanctions and penalties against Russia because of the Ukraine conflict really influenced the GDP of Russia? Or they rather spent too much money in their military? I wonder about it. Because the numbers since 2014 for Russia seems alarming and it seems like it was really stupid to do what they done with Ukraine.

About the fact NATO and Russia both prepare each other in a possible military conflict while Ukraine isn't - yet? or they succeeded perhaps in one year - in NATO alliance, it is a friendly act to save Ukraine and no let Russia do anything they want, or they just basically sat back and waited for a Russia mistake to initiate this raising political conflict?

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
RUSSIA is gearing up for a war against Britain and Nato, according to alarming new claims.
By Patrick Maguire

PUBLISHED: 03:42, Wed, Aug 12, 2015 | UPDATED: 10:04, Wed, Aug 12, 2015

Russia-and-Nato-could-be-gearing-up-for-armed-conflict-597746.jpg

Russia and Nato could be gearing up for armed conflict

A leading European think tank has said a Russian military exercise in March demonstrated that Russia "is actively preparing for a conflict with Nato".

The European Leadership network also claimed a similar exercise by Nato in June indicated that the two powers were training their forces to get to grips with each other's strengths and military plans.

Spokesmen for Nato and Russia said the operations were designed with "hypothetical opponents" in mind.

The warning came just a day after defence secretary Michael Fallon warned the Russian separatists in Ukraine could seize more territory, and that the "red hot" conflict was set to escalate.

But the minister, who is currently in Ukraine, dismissed claims of an imminent war with Putin's Russia – but said he could not see an end to the conflict "any time soon".

He said: "Russia is continuing to test Nato's resolve, but we have shown we are standing firm."

Defence-Secretary-Michael-Fallon-330602.jpg

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon

However, Fallon added: "Seven thousand people have already died in the Ukraine, right on the doorstep of Europe, as Ukraine fights for its freedom.

"This is not a frozen conflict, it's still red hot.

Rebels this week launched their most intense artillery bombardments of Ukrainian government strongholds for six months, authorities said.

The defence secretary yesterday announced that Britain is to expand its programme of "non-lethal" assistance to train Ukraine's armed forces to deal with improvised explosive devices and mines.

There are currently 75 British military trainers in the country, and 1,000 Ukrainian soldiers have so far been supported by their presence.

Fallon said the mission – which works alongside four other Nato forces – aims to train 2,000 further troops by the end of the year.
Russia &[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG];preparing for war&[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG]; against Britain and Nato | UK | News | Daily Express
OMG, I hope that is not true. This would be all the world needs. I think that Putin has delusions of ruling the world, so that would not really surprise me. However, it would be crazy and suicidal for Russia to try such a thing. They have againg technology and could never prevail. I think it is something that is totally insane. I hope it never comes to that.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
OMG, I hope that is not true. This would be all the world needs. I think that Putin has delusions of ruling the world, so that would not really surprise me. However, it would be crazy and suicidal for Russia to try such a thing. They have againg technology and could never prevail. I think it is something that is totally insane. I hope it never comes to that.
They seem to have aging technology. I know the USSR era didn't help Russia of today finally, but they had quite some time to build up something worrying at least. They didn't loose their nuclear weapon I think, so that's why we should definitely watch out.

Also, by putting Russia in this economical shape because of Ukraine action, basically we make a "we've nothing to loose" philosophy, because now they can feel it's over if Russia can't export. I don't know how they can recover Russia's economy right now, with or without a war. I think war costs a lot so when they say it will save Russia, I'm not sure of it.

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
It's quite understandable to me that Russia is preparing for a possible military actions against the country that inficlited to Russai the penalities, I mean it's fully understandable.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
It's quite understandable to me that Russia is preparing for a possible military actions against the country that inficlited to Russai the penalities, I mean it's fully understandable.
Well, the countries who inflicted the penalties - basically, the whole EU ad US - was doing so after they kindly asked to stop what they are doing with Ukraine. What Russia did with Ukraine is pretty unbelievable, and while we're not 100% publicly sure of their implications, I think at least it make the environment favorable for it and finally, they taken some part of Ukraine to integrate it in Russia. Wow.

After all, they had the choice of reject to integrate Crimea with Russia. The separatist couldn't do a lot with that. But instead they just taken it. They could have done something else but instead they chosen to go ahead. So these penalties are legitimate, you can't do everything and violating a territory without penalties.

axiom_low

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Canada
I don't think the Russians would really want this war. At the very least I do not think the Russian people will want or support a war. They will be economically crippled and have to fight against the majority of the modern western world in order to gain some minute amount of territory in the Ukraine. If Putin decides to wage a war, you can bet it will be his last.