Russia says Canada joining military training in Ukraine ‘deplorable’ | World Defense

Russia says Canada joining military training in Ukraine ‘deplorable’

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Russia says Canada joining military training in Ukraine National | Globalnews.ca

The Harper government’s decision to join a U.S.-led military training mission Ukraine has drawn a sharp rebuke from Russia.

Canada is sending at least 200 members of the Canadian Forces to take part in a two-year deployment to improve the combat ability of troops in the embattled eastern European country.

In a statement, the Russian Embassy in Ottawa calls that “counterproductive and deplorable.”

It says the move does nothing to resolve the fracturing of Ukraine, and that Canada should be concentrating on diplomacy and political dialogue with the breakaway eastern regions of the country.

The Russians are also accusing Canada and the West of assisting in the military buildup and playing into the hands of the “party of war” in Kyiv.

Defence Minister Jason Kenney says the Canadian trainers will not be in harm’s way, some 1,300 kilometres from the restive districts of Ukraine.

There, as many as 6,000 people have been killed in fighting between pro-Russian separatists and government forces.

The Canadians – along with U.S. and British forces – will be training Ukrainian soldiers and national guard troops in the finer points of modern combat, including how to defuse roadside bombs.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
For countries that have stated they don't want to get involved in the Russia and Ukraine conflict, this isn't really the right way of going about things.

While I'm no fan of Russia or of Putin, I have to agree with them that this is definitely a sign of countries taking sides against russia and have to admit that this time Russia have every right to be annoyed.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
For countries that have stated they don't want to get involved in the Russia and Ukraine conflict, this isn't really the right way of going about things.

While I'm no fan of Russia or of Putin, I have to agree with them that this is definitely a sign of countries taking sides against russia and have to admit that this time Russia have every right to be annoyed.

No, Canada has every right in the world to train it's military in Ukraine. Putin has no reason to be annoyed.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well I think Canada should back down and remain the peaceful country that it has always been. Don't follow the US and create unnecessary hate for you country. Canada should avoid these situations unless they are helping as part of the United Nations.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
Well I think Canada should back down and remain the peaceful country that it has always been. Don't follow the US and create unnecessary hate for you country. Canada should avoid these situations unless they are helping as part of the United Nations.

Canada is a part of NATO. Ukraine has agreed to host NATO exercises. Ukraine does this out of free will. Here is a list of NATO exercises in 2015:
NATO Allied Command Operations (ACO)2015

As you can see NATO has held an exercise in Romania as well. Should this also be regarded as a sign of aggression? Or is it okay just because Romania doesn't border Russia?

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While I accept the point that any country has the right to train anywhere, I do think a little common sense wouldn't go amiss.

If Russia sent troops to train off the coast of the US people wouldn't be too happy about it would they?

I'm not saying its right or wrong, I'm just saying while tensions are like they are, I'm sure the training could have been done elsewhere?