Russia signs deal to build Egypt’s first nuclear plant

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Russia signs deal to build Egypt’s first nuclear plant
4140afbc-1a7a-404b-997c-807a6a0848bf_16x9_788x442.jpg

The plant is to be built in Dabaa on the Mediterranean coast in the northwest of the country. (File photo: AP)

AFP, Cairo Thursday, 19 November 2015

Russia signed two agreements Thursday to finance and build Egypt’s first nuclear power plant, in a ceremony attended by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.

Sergei Kirienko, director general of Russian atomic energy agency Rosatom, said the agreement is for the construction and operation of four 1,200 MW reactors, making the country “a regional leader in technology.”

Sisi said that, under the second deal, Russia grant a 35-year loan to the North African country, the Arab world’s most populous. He did not say how much the loan will amount to or what its terms are.

Sisi announced the project in February during a visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin, when a memorandum of understanding was signed.

The plant is to be built in Dabaa on the Mediterranean coast in the northwest of the country.

Egypt laid the foundation for the facility during the regime of president Hosni Mubarak, ousted in January 2011, but work was halted due to disputes with local residents.

Last Update: Thursday, 19 November 2015 KSA 19:06 - GMT 16:06
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/business/energy/2015/11/19/Russia-signs-deal-to-build-Egypt-s-first-nuclear-plant-.html

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Is Russian technology for nuclear plants be trusted? I mean, do they have a good track record in building such? We have a mothballed nuclear plant here in the province of Bataan. It was not used because of the politics. A few years back, there is a motion to reconsider the use of that nuclear plant but politics again got in the way so the white elephant remains sleeping. If Russia has the technology then perhaps they can offer a system that is fail safe and would appeal to everyone.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Egypt should deal with South Korea and Japan instead of Russia. I don't know if the current government is stupid or trying to piss the US but hurt themselves in return.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think they can be trusted to built one but i am not sure what is behind this. I know US will not be happy to hear this and i believe this is a strategic move by Russia. I cannot tell what i do not know but it seems that big countries like Russia and US never do thing just for the right cause or the ones they state. If we learned something it's that it is never transparent and truly believe we will see the real reasons, not only for this but for many other US or Russia help to other countries. I would like to hear some more opinions on this because i am not very informed about this nuclear plant plans and i am very interested to find out more.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Egypt should deal with South Korea and Japan instead of Russia. I don't know if the current government is stupid or trying to piss the US but hurt themselves in return.

I don't think they can afford South Korean or Japanese reactors, maybe they should of tried China as alternative. But overall Egypt needs better energy alternatives. Nuclear energy to power their country is desperately needed, all modern nations are resorting to that. And it could help power the Gaza Strip too.

I think they can be trusted to built one but i am not sure what is behind this. I know US will not be happy to hear this and i believe this is a strategic move by Russia. I cannot tell what i do not know but it seems that big countries like Russia and US never do thing just for the right cause or the ones they state. If we learned something it's that it is never transparent and truly believe we will see the real reasons, not only for this but for many other US or Russia help to other countries. I would like to hear some more opinions on this because i am not very informed about this nuclear plant plans and i am very interested to find out more.

It's not related to any weapons programs, Egypt doesn't even have ballistic missile program. If it did it would risk being attacked by Israel or Israel's allies. This issue is primarily energy related, electricity is only present half the day in many places in Egypt. And in some places they rely on fuel supplies to power cities.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Oh, but i didn't think about weapons. Energy is a strategic goal as well and the position of it. I believe the Russia is doing just nice in the area of strategy and not being transparent about it. It is like that game The Risk (Risiko). I am just guessing here, this is not my cup of tea, but i am 100 % sure they will not do anything without some extra hidden gain for them. It is easy for them to buy a government or two. It is going to be interesting watching the plot culmination in next few months.

charris89

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
USA
Oh, but i didn't think about weapons. Energy is a strategic goal as well and the position of it. I believe the Russia is doing just nice in the area of strategy and not being transparent about it. It is like that game The Risk (Risiko). I am just guessing here, this is not my cup of tea, but i am 100 % sure they will not do anything without some extra hidden gain for them. It is easy for them to buy a government or two. It is going to be interesting watching the plot culmination in next few months.

I have to agree. Russian wouldn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but anyone can see there is a hidden agenda behind this move. Even if it is to make America upset. I don't really feel comfortable having a nuclear power plant in that area. It could be for energy, but it could also be used for something far more sinister. There are also may other energy alternatives this day and age.

Russia has been making many moves this year. Both political and tactical, and I know for a fact they are planning something. Maybe they're trying to gain a solid foothold in the Middle East. If it is for the betterment of this region, then good for them. However in my opinion I think they have nefarious plans. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thank you. I never take sides and we all know which sides i am talking about. I do not care who wins because any kind of war is a lost cause for me. Both, US and Russia play the same game. US found a way to settle in The Middle East over ISIS and Russians are going to find another way if not the same. In any case the world will loose in that game. Their goals are the same with , i think, little difference of the point of view by both sides. I personally find myself closer to some Russian choices than American. Maybe because Serbia always had a good relationship with Russia and therefore not so good relations with their counterparts. Either way i still think they are doing the same as global war or peace is concerned.