Russia suspends military cooperation with Turkey | World Defense

Russia suspends military cooperation with Turkey

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Russia suspends military cooperation with Turkey - Al Jazeera English

Russia's defence ministry has announced suspension of military cooperation with Turkey and Sergey Lavrov, foreign minister, has cancelled a planned trip to Turkey following the downing of a Russian warplane near the Turkey-Syria border on Tuesday.

The Russian Sukhoi Su-24 warplane was shot down for allegedly violating Turkish airspace, angering Russia's President Vladimir Putin, who compared the incident to being "stabbed in the back".

Russia also warned its citizens not to travel to Turkey, saying it was unsafe, and deployed a warship to the coastline near where the plane crashed.

The plane crashed in Syrian territory in Latakia's Yamadi village.

One of the two Russian pilots who ejected from the jet was picked up by the Syrian army and is being taken to Russia's base there, Russia's ambassador to France said on Wednesday.

Alexandre Orlov told Europe 1 radio: "One on board was wounded when he parachuted down and killed in a savage way on the ground by the jihadists in the area.

"The other managed to escape and, according to the latest information, has been picked up by the Syrian army and should be going back to the Russian air force base."

A Russian helicopter was also shot at on Tuesday as it took part in the search for the two pilots near the Turkish-Syrian border, opposition groups in Syria said.

Turkey, Russia and their respective allies have entered a war of words after the incident, raising tensions in a region struggling to cope with the ongoing Syrian conflict.

Putin sharply criticised Turkey for establishing contact with NATO to discuss the incident, prior to contacting Russia.

"Today's loss is linked to a stab in the back delivered to us by accomplices of terrorists. I cannot qualify what happened today as anything else," Putin said in televised comments.

"Our plane was shot down over the territory of Syria by an air-to-air missile from a Turkish F-16 jet. It fell in Syrian territory four kilometres from the border with Turkey. Our pilots and our plane did not in any way threaten Turkey.

"Instead of immediately establishing contacts with us, as far as we know Turkey turned to its NATO partners to discuss this incident - as if we had hit their plane and not the other way around," he said.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
And,what military cooperation would that be,im curious,does anyone know?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Suspend military cooperation. That may mean there is no more friendly relation among their military troops? Naturally and logically. After downing that Russian plane, Turkey should now brace for a counter attack (that was my first impression which I posted in this site). But I am seeing other things like suspending economic cooperation. So the trading would stop between the 2 countries and they both suffer but I believe Turkey would suffer more.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I am seeing other things like suspending economic cooperation. So the trading would stop between the 2 countries and they both suffer but I believe Turkey would suffer more.
When the Russians invaded Ukraine last year, Russia was slapped with sanctions and Putin retaliated by banning food imports from the West. So before the sanctions are lifted and that won't happen any time soon, then Russia needed [at all costs] to keep their trade partners. Turkey sure will lose some money.

It's estimated they'll lose more $4b in revenue but Turkey will be getting about that same amount of money from the EU to support the Syrian refugees there. So though Turkey will be losing about 0.4% of their GDP the Russian sanctions won't hurt them much. Fact though is the sanctions will hurt both sides but their leaders are so blinded by pride they don't see it.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
When the Russians invaded Ukraine last year, Russia was slapped with sanctions and Putin retaliated by banning food imports from the West. So before the sanctions are lifted and that won't happen any time soon, then Russia needed [at all costs] to keep their trade partners. Turkey sure will lose some money.

It's estimated they'll lose more $4b in revenue but Turkey will be getting about that same amount of money from the EU to support the Syrian refugees there. So though Turkey will be losing about 0.4% of their GDP the Russian sanctions won't hurt them much. Fact though is the sanctions will hurt both sides but their leaders are so blinded by pride they don't see it.

I agree with your figures. However, I think that is only the icing in the cake - the prospect of losing money. What's more important and of greater issue is their stained relation. Since Turkey was close to Russia before this incident, it is my opinion that Turkey cannot get closer to the US even if it has a strained relation with Russia. I understand that Turkey doesn't have a stable government with the various rebel factions so it's not a good idea to have an enemy in the person of Russia.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well it is a normal thing to do since the incident. It would be strange if they didn't do it. You cannot expect normal military cooperation if something like this happens. I believe this would mean that Russia will be closed to any Turkish needs in that particular area. They both have strong military department but Russia is much stronger, at least I think so, and this lack of cooperation will hurt Turkey more. Russia is more independent that Turkey and that is why they can make moves like this.

Juanpeace

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Philippines
Well, If Russia suspends any military cooperation with Turkey that is understandable since the incident itself can be perceived as an act of war. However, Russia must be more inclined to have stronger communications with NATO. Russia nad several countries are operating in the same war theater. Russia as an ally of Syria and other forces are there to counter the Jihadists in the region. A stricter protocol for operations in the region must be agreed upon. Russia being a major super power must be willing to initiate the first moves to get things going.