Russia using Ukraine crisis to test new weapons | World Defense

Russia using Ukraine crisis to test new weapons

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Supplying weapons to rebel troops is always a good way to see how effective they are. Hitler used Spain as a test ground prior to WW2. During the Falkland war, the French sold Argentina 6 exocet missles which where used to take out modern British ships, and then the French used that as proof to increase sales of their missles. And in the latest scenario, Russia is using Ukraine to test their new military toys.

Eastern Ukraine has become a testing ground for Russia's new military capabilities.

When Russia last went to war, in Georgia in 2008, it looked like an easy victory. But Russia's generals were deeply concerned at how badly their forces performed in some key areas of modern warfare.

Russia has spent the seven years since then rearming, re-equipping, and retraining, in order to deal with those deficiencies, and to try to close the capability gap with modern Western armies.

Now the results can be seen in eastern Ukraine, where pro-Russian separatists have gained ground against Ukrainian government troops.

BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Russia tests new weapons

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Russia is always taking advantage crisis situation to provoke other countries an to stabilize them. They are constantly intimidating and when there's an opportunity in which they can show off, they are quick to make the most of it. Where's the decency of Russia?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I have already guessed from the outset that Russia's trying to hit two birds with one stone. First, they're waging another proxy war to set the stage for - who knows but God forbid - World War III. Next, they want Crimea for themselves and dig up more oil to fund their ailing economy (much as they try to deny it). Good going, Russia. Expect your territory to downsize within the next few decades.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Why doesn't anyone bother to check the ''facts'' stated in the article? I have already addressed them in another thread. Basically both sides are using these ''new weapons'' and they have been using them since the 60's and 70's when they were first introduced in USSR.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Why doesn't anyone bother to check the ''facts'' stated in the article? I have already addressed them in another thread. Basically both sides are using these ''new weapons'' and they have been using them since the 60's and 70's when they were first introduced in USSR.

Have the weapons you mentioned been tested in a combat situation ? Before WW2, Germany and Britain had similar aircraft with similar capabilities, the big advantage that Germany had is they had tested most of their aircraft during the Spanish Civil war. The British on the other hand had never tested their aircraft. As a result the Germans had managed to iron out all the major bugs in their aircraft and develop better air tactics.

A combat situation is not the same thing as an exercises, also weapons themselves get upgrades. The B52 has been around for a long time, but it has been upgraded countless times.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
I have already guessed from the outset that Russia's trying to hit two birds with one stone. First, they're waging another proxy war to set the stage for - who knows but God forbid - World War III. Next, they want Crimea for themselves and dig up more oil to fund their ailing economy (much as they try to deny it). Good going, Russia. Expect your territory to downsize within the next few decades.
Me and a friend of mine have discussed that possibility some time ago. I was just saying that with Russia going on the power craze and attacking Ukraine it is possible for World War 3 to occur. With all the oil that Russia wants from Crimea it is hard to not see another huge battle coming. It makes me wonder which other country besides China would team with Russia if a third World War were to commence?

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
Russia is always taking advantage crisis situation to provoke other countries an to stabilize them. They are constantly intimidating and when there's an opportunity in which they can show off, they are quick to make the most of it. Where's the decency of Russia?
The Russians seem to know how to take over when they see the opportunity. It would be a matter of time before some other crisis situation happens. Russia just seems to be jumping hoops with Ukraine.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Have the weapons you mentioned been tested in a combat situation ? Before WW2, Germany and Britain had similar aircraft with similar capabilities, the big advantage that Germany had is they had tested most of their aircraft during the Spanish Civil war. The British on the other hand had never tested their aircraft. As a result the Germans had managed to iron out all the major bugs in their aircraft and develop better air tactics.

A combat situation is not the same thing as an exercises, also weapons themselves get upgrades. The B52 has been around for a long time, but it has been upgraded countless times.

The weapons have been used for quite some time. As far as I remember they were used by the Russians in Georgia, in the Yugoslav civil war, in the Middle East and also on Kosovo (there are probably more examples but I can't remember right now).

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
The weapons have been used for quite some time. As far as I remember they were used by the Russians in Georgia, in the Yugoslav civil war, in the Middle East and also on Kosovo (there are probably more examples but I can't remember right now).

The BM-21 is an enhanced version of the original WW2 MRL. Artillery has not changed that much since WW1, during WW1 there where actually larger land based artillery pieces. The big thing that has changed is guidance systems.

For the Americans, the 155mm artillery piece has been around forever, but they have developed a new artillery round with a GPS that can guide the round onto the target. The original Russian MRL's followed the principle of quantity over quality, but maybe the Russians have developed a new rocket with a GPS or guidance system in it similar to the American 155mm. You would not be able to tell by just looking.