SU-30SM
SU-30SM.jpg

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
a SU-25 preparing to take off to strike rebels. in the background you can see SU-24M2s and MI-8s at the Latakia Airbase, Syria
SU-25.jpg

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Have the Russians given a timescale as to when this campaign might end, or are they just staying for as long as it takes?

The main reason I ask is because they seem to be very active at the moment, and they have been since they got over there, and I was just thinking about the figures of how much this is going to cost the country?

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
Have the Russians given a timescale as to when this campaign might end, or are they just staying for as long as it takes?

The main reason I ask is because they seem to be very active at the moment, and they have been since they got over there, and I was just thinking about the figures of how much this is going to cost the country?
I don't know how long they are planning to stay because they been sending equipment down there still like recently my friend told me they sent a couple more radars down to their air base

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Either the same day or it might have been the day after me asking the question when the Russians would be looking entourage pull out, Putin says the air campaign us over and start to withdraw immediately, so I guess that answers that question then!

Who'd have thought that Putin was a member on here, haha!

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
They said they are pulling out but "will still be conducting air strikes", which leaves the question open as to how they will be performed.

Pictures have showed the SU-34s on the way home and SU-25s still stationed there so I guess they don't really intend to do pinpoint attacks any more.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I am wondering if all these aircraft and equipment will be shipped back to Russia because of the withdrawal order, or if some will remain so that partial direct support activities may continue.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
They said they are pulling out but "will still be conducting air strikes", which leaves the question open as to how they will be performed.

Pictures have showed the SU-34s on the way home and SU-25s still stationed there so I guess they don't really intend to do pinpoint attacks any more.

They will leave air, naval and air defense bases there. Russia can't afford a total pullout, it has important strategic interests in Syria.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
They will leave air, naval and air defense bases there. Russia can't afford a total pullout, it has important strategic interests in Syria.

The Russian economy can't handle what Putin wants. If Russia agrees to abandon Assad we could work out something together like promise Russia a presences in its current bases after Assad is taken out.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom

Not sure how reliable but have just heard that there are around 1,000 personal remaining in Syria. Like another poster said above I think Russia will start doing small scale CAS operations and maybe search and destroy mission in support of pro Assad forces.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Not sure how reliable but have just heard that there are around 1,000 personal remaining in Syria. Like another poster said above I think Russia will start doing small scale CAS operations and maybe search and destroy mission in support of pro Assad forces.

I'm not so sure Syrian forces need special force support, they just no longer operate as an army because of manpower restraints and flawed structure. They need advisers and manpower, the advisers will come from Russia. Manpower will come from Iraq and elsewhere.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
When Putin says they're pulling out, I'd imagine he just means the extra personnel and equipment that was sent there when these attacks were stepped up.

Russia as always had a presence in the region, and they will no doubt remain in there and don't forget that there's a big difference between saying the campaign is over and the term 'pulling out'.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
My Russian friend on Facebook told me the following
Russia's Success in Syria
1. Syrian forces backed by Russian aviation liberated 400 Populated areas and 10,000 square kilometers
2. Syrian forces managed to recapture Oil Facilities and Gas Fields
3. Russian forces eliminated 17 enemy field commanders
and Russia could redeploy forces to Syria if they need to

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
My Russian friend on Facebook told me the following
Russia's Success in Syria
1. Syrian forces backed by Russian aviation liberated 400 Populated areas and 10,000 square kilometers
2. Syrian forces managed to recapture Oil Facilities and Gas Fields
3. Russian forces eliminated 17 enemy field commanders
and Russia could redeploy forces to Syria if they need to

Your friend is delusional if he thinks 400 areas were liberated. Russia managed to slow the movement of the FSA and give air converge to the Assad army. Only one field commander was killed by an air strike. Russia can't redeploy forces due to the economic reel.