Russian military base opens its doors for international inspectors | World Defense

Russian military base opens its doors for international inspectors

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Russian military base opens its doors for international inspectors

Inspection of the 200th Brigade will last from January 18 to 20, carried out according to a 2011 "Vienna" protocol adopted by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)

1079020.jpg

Russia's Arctic infantry unit

MOSCOW, January 19. /TASS/. Swedish officials are inspecting a Russian motorized infantry brigade deployed in the northern Murmansk region to check its activities under rules of an international military accord.

1078200.jpg

Arctic troops arrive as Russia masses united northern command

Inspection of the 200th Brigade will last from January 18 to 20, carried out according to a 2011 Vienna protocol adopted by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), head of the Russian Defense Ministry Department for Control over Fulfillment of Agreements Sergey Ryzhkov told TASS.

The Vienna accord provides for inspections of designated areas and military bases to verify information presented annually by OSCE member-states.Visits are made to check operational units and weapons deployment, Ryzhkov added. Russia joined the security organization in 1992.

Source: TASS: Russia - Russian military base opens its doors for international inspectors

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
More openness is indeed welcome, but I wonder if these inspections serve any purpose at all. If they are hiding illicit hardware, why wouldn't they be moved prior to inspection. I guess any such movement would be picked up by reconnaissance satellites? I'm very naive in this topic so any insight would be welcome!

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
More openness is indeed welcome, but I wonder if these inspections serve any purpose at all. If they are hiding illicit hardware, why wouldn't they be moved prior to inspection. I guess any such movement would be picked up by reconnaissance satellites? I'm very naive in this topic so any insight would be welcome!

I rather wonder that, as well, and am also naive here. Maybe what seems to be more or less routine inspections fosters openness. I don't know.
I believe I would be more interested in inspecting other areas of their military with their infantry being at the bottom of the list; but I might be looking at that all wrong too.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
That is a good thing they have done. However one can still hide stuff they do not want seen when an inspection is carried out. I think they did this to show that they have nothing to hide. In most cases people who want to prove they have nothing to hide have lots of stuff hidden close by. This is just my opinion I could be wrong about it.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
They will probably hide the stuff as always when an inspection comes. I do not trust Russian military to be so transparent and I feel that they are hiding a lot more than they show.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
That is a good thing they have done. However one can still hide stuff they do not want seen when an inspection is carried out. I think they did this to show that they have nothing to hide. In most cases people who want to prove they have nothing to hide have lots of stuff hidden close by. This is just my opinion I could be wrong about it.

Yeah. Like the sleight of hand tricks shoplifters and pickpockets develop. You're right. The best way to hide something is to say, "Come and see."

mizrael

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Canada
It was nice to see those photos, the Russian military are well-trained, of course their hiding weapons from us, we would be naïve to think that the Russians would reveal everything to us, I'm sure they have missiles hidden away somewhere underground in some laboratory, their crack Scientists are always trying to perfect and develop the latest weapons in complete secrecy.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I don't believe this report for one second because Russia will never allow outsiders to dictate to them! Even if Russia says it would do such a thing then it would only show the inspectors what they want to some them.