Russia's New Laws | World Defense

Russia's New Laws

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Russia isn't known for being progressive and this new law that bars those with 'sex disorders' from driving proves that they don't intend to change for the better anytime soon. Lenin used to write that Russia was the most backward European nation. That was in 1910 or thereabouts. Apparently since then much has changed but in terms of embracing change Russia still has long a way to go.

Russia says drivers must not have 'sex disorders' - BBC News
Russia has listed transsexual and transgender people among those who will no longer qualify for driving licences.

Fetishism, exhibitionism and voyeurism are also included as "mental disorders" now barring people from driving.

"Pathological" gambling and compulsive stealing are also on the list. Russian psychiatrists and human rights lawyers have condemned the move.

ProShell

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I think that this is just an example of the society crushing those that they don't agree with.

It's sad to see that people are being deprived of their mobility.

But, to a certain degree I agree with preventing people with serious mental disorders from driving.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Yes but why include trans-genders in the list of people with mental disorders? They are perfectly sane. It's just Russia's way of making life difficult for anyone who doesn't conform with their rigid expectations of sexual orientation, their [un]official stance on gender changes and so on and son.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
Russia isn't known for being progressive and this new law that bars those with 'sex disorders' from driving proves that they don't intend to change for the better anytime soon. Lenin used to write that Russia was the most backward European nation. That was in 1910 or thereabouts. Apparently since then much has changed but in terms of embracing change Russia still has long a way to go.

Russia says drivers must not have 'sex disorders' - BBC News
Wow Russia, I didn't think they would go that far as to ban them form driving. A mental disorder is for those that think this is the right thing to do. I didn't agree with it, but Russia is just that type of place, and it's so secret.

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
This just shows that Russia is a primitive nation. There needs to be another revolution just to overthrow Putin.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Another form of oppression with disturbing implications. I really feel for citizens who may not have non-traditional genders and sexual orientations. With all this ostracizing, how long before those people start to fear for their lives just because they live in Russia, if not already?

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Russia is the only country I know of, outside of Sub-Saharan Africa, that's actively pushing for even more conservative legislation and introducing these absurd laws. What's even more troubling is the lack of any justification offered for these actions, which would be the first step towards challenging them.

d4rk3n

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
India
Wow this is so absurd. What's next for Russia? Feels like they are living 100 years back, by the way of their thoughts.
Isn't Russia a democracy by the way?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
How on earth can he say that transgenderism is a mental disorder? It's just being born in the wrong body! The only one I agree with is the "compulsive stealing".

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
How on earth can he say that transgenderism is a mental disorder? It's just being born in the wrong body! The only one I agree with is the "compulsive stealing".

Interesting you say this. I would not say it's a mental disorder as in "something is wrong with them! crazy!" but it actually kind of is. A gender identity disorder, gender dysphoria, and this is the reason why it is many times covered by health insurance in different countries. So it is a psychological thing. But I'd say that to change sex is the actual "cure" to it, fixing what was causing the disorder, which is why I also think that to classify them as 'mentally ill' is a problem.

That said, how the heck are they actually supposed to be aware of who is a voyeur or an exhibitionnist or any of those things? It's not like these people would come forward and just announce themselves as such.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Gender Identity Disorder needs to be categorized as a mental disorder because it is next to impossible to prove that its a physical one. There are some environmental stimuli that can change a fetuses gender while it is still in the womb, but the mother needs to be exposed to this environment for long periods and then needs to be able to prove that IT caused the change. This is most evident in non-hereditary Hermaphroditism. Apart from that I have never heard of a successful case argued against Insurance companies.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Russia is really going backwards, but despite that they still remain strong? I wonder how they manage to remain strong despite the gradual breakdown in their economy. Just imagine if they would embrace change, then what else will their weakness be? There must be really something in Russia - a kind of magic - unexplainable. I am not trying to insinuate something here. But it's just that Russia is really great despite their some inhumanely discriminating laws.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
Really, you did not hear about how insurance could cover the costs?
This one talks about coverage in Canada.

I also know in some Islamic countries, sex changes are allowed/encouraged for homosexuals, because they believe it's "more natural" to have a man/woman couple (even if one is transgendered) than to have a gay couple.

Some men have been known to switch sex in those countries just so they could live their relationship in peace, even if they did not really want to change sex.