Russia's Syria force grows to 4,000, U.S. officials say | World Defense

Russia's Syria force grows to 4,000, U.S. officials say

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Russia's Syria force grows to 4,000, U.S. officials say| Reuters

Moscow's military force in Syria has grown to about 4,000 personnel, but this and more than a month of Russian air strikes have not led to pro-government forces making significant territorial gains, U.S. security officials and independent experts said.

Moscow, which has maintained a military presence in Syria for decades as an ally of the ruling Assad family, had an estimated 2,000 personnel in the country when it began air strikes on Sept. 30. The Russian force has since roughly doubled and the number of bases it is using has grown, U.S. security officials said.

The Russians have suffered combat casualties, including deaths, said three U.S. security officials familiar with U.S. intelligence reporting, adding that they did not know the exact numbers.

The United States has extensive intelligence assets in the region, along with satellite imagery and electronic eavesdropping coverage and contacts with moderate Sunni and Kurdish rebels on the ground in Syria.

Russia's foreign ministry declined to comment on the size of the Russian contingent in Syria or any casualties it has suffered. It referred questions to the Russian Defense Ministry, which did not respond to written questions submitted by Reuters.

The Kremlin has said there are no Russian troops in combat roles in Syria, though it has said there are trainers and advisers working alongside the Syrian military and also forces guarding Russia's bases in western Syria.

The only death the Russian government has reported was that of a serviceman who the military said died by suicide. The man's parents have said they doubted this account.

The United States has strongly criticized President Vladimir Putin's military intervention in Syria's 4-1/2-year civil war, and President Barack Obama has predicted it could lead to a quagmire for Russia.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This is good news for me. From 2,000 Russian soldiers in Syria, the force has been doubled. I am not for Russia nor for US, my wish is for any side to win immediately so as to end the war. It doesn't matter whose side wins as long as the agony is ended and the collateral damage is stopped. Syrians are getting out of their country because of the protracted war. I wonder if those migrants would come back when the war ends in Syria.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
That's still small, they are probably there to operate equipment or build defenses. You are taking maybe a few hundred in each important regime held city. They are not meant for offensives.

This is good news for me. From 2,000 Russian soldiers in Syria, the force has been doubled. I am not for Russia nor for US, my wish is for any side to win immediately so as to end the war. It doesn't matter whose side wins as long as the agony is ended and the collateral damage is stopped. Syrians are getting out of their country because of the protracted war. I wonder if those migrants would come back when the war ends in Syria.

Well everybody negotaiting an end to the conflict aren't Syrian. So no Syrian voice can be heard. The talks in Vienna that is. The rebels weren't even allowed an opinion but that's also because lots of their groups have different thoughts.

charris89

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
USA
Russians are sneaky It wouldn't surprise me if that number keeps doubling until there's a substantial force in Syria. Putin is a strong and smart leader who'll do anything to complete his objective. Our political and military leaders should keep this in mind when dealing with him. I don't really see this ending well for the Syrians or us for that matter. Putin has been pushing our buttons for a long time now, and we can only take so much before something has to be done. I hope it doesn't come to that and I hope that we can leave Syria a better country than it was when we pull out.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It is a beginning and Russians are not the only ones who are sneaky. I always take the official US statements with a pinch of salt. You people just lie all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if numbers are larger or smaller, depending on effect The US want to achieve. I am not taking sides but if i have to i would rather choose a devil directly from hell then The USA. Sorry for being honest. If this is true and 4000 Russian soldiers are down there it will only get worse. It will escalate quicker than we thought.