S. Korea pushing to export FA-50 fighter jets to Peru

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

SEOUL, Feb. 3 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean military is seeking to export US$1 billion worth of an indigenous light attack aircraft to Peru, an informed source said Tuesday.

AEN20150203001600315_01_i.jpg

The FA-50 light attacker (Yonhap file photo)​

"We've been pushing to sell 24 units of the FA-50 to Peru, and are planning to submit a proposal for Lima's fighter purchase project this month," said the source, requesting anonymity. "Factoring in the necessary logistics support, the total amount of the envisioned exports would reach $2 billion."

South Korea is likely to vie with Russia, Italy and China, with the selection expected to be made in the second half of this year, he added.

As a light attack variant of the T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic trainer, the FA-50 was co-developed by Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) and U.S. defense firm Lockheed Martin. It is the most advanced variant of the T-50 family operated by the South Korean Air Force.

Equipped with a supersonic advanced light attack platform, the aircraft can carry a weapons load of up to 4.5 tons and be armed with such precision-guided weapons as the GBU-38/B Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) and CBU-105 Sensor Fused Weapon (SFW).

"We could be a favorable bidder, as KAI won a $200 million deal for 20 KT-1 basic trainer aircraft from Peru in November 2012," said an officer of the country's arms procurement agency.

Indonesia bought 16 units in 2011 and Iraq purchased 24 in 2013. The latest export was to the Philippines, which bought 12 units.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think this if a similar aircraft the Philippines are getting. Though it is an interim solution to train the pilots in the new jet fighters. Most of the planes I saw were Cold war era planes, and they should belong to a museum now. Once the FA-50 pilots are trained, the Armed Forces will secure more jets. I think pilots were sent over to S. Korea for training.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
What's happening between Peru and South Korea? The amount involve is staggering, and sure it wouldn't be that big for no important reason. Something is really gonna happen, soon.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think this if a similar aircraft the Philippines are getting. Though it is an interim solution to train the pilots in the new jet fighters. Most of the planes I saw were Cold war era planes, and they should belong to a museum now. Once the FA-50 pilots are trained, the Armed Forces will secure more jets. I think pilots were sent over to S. Korea for training.
I heard that news as well and I personally think that it was a good choice for a fighter jet. Good choice for both Peru and the Philippines and great news for South Korea.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I am a bit curious to know why Peru wants such fighter jets in the first place? It is not like South America is in a huge conflict and I don't think any nation in South America will be at war any time soon. I think this is a waste of money for Peru and they could have invested the money in helicopters that could be used in the fight against the drug trade.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
What? I never heard about this friendship between South Korea and Peru. Anyway, I applaude Peru's decison of buying fighter jets, because they understand their position in Asia and it looks like they are taking their defence very serious.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is part of South Korea's strategy to elevate itself as a new superpower and a top calibre weapons manufacturer, akin to that of the United States. The country is making great progress in assuming this role. Third world countries in Asia and Latin America can guarantee that they're getting quality yet affordable weapons - so unlike the expensive American and European manufactured weapons and the cheap yet poor quality China exports.