Salwa canal | World Defense

Salwa canal

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
The Salwa Canal was a proposed shipping routeand tourism project through Saudi Arabia along its border with Qatar, effectively turning the latter into an island. The project appears to be abandoned for the present.[2]

1635175381020.jpeg

The canal would be south of the border between Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Length70[1] km (43 miles)
Minimum boat draft12 m
StatusAbandoned

In June 2017, Saudi Arabia and a number of countries cut diplomatic relations with Qatar and imposed a land, sea, and air blockade.[1

The tender was scheduled to take place on 25 June 2018. According to the publication Makkah Al-Mukarramah, the company with the winning bid was to be announced within 90 days of the bid closure date, after which it was to begin digging of the channel immediately in order to complete the project within a one-year time frame.[3]

The proposed waterway is 200 m wide and will be dug to a depth of up to 20 m providing a maximum ship draft of 12 m. This would allow the canal to accommodate cargo, container and passenger ships up to a length of 295 m. The preliminary cost has been estimated at SR2.8bn (US$747m).[1] The proposal includes building resorts with private beaches,[4] the construction of ports, the possibility of a free trade zone,[1] a military zone, and a dumping ground for nuclear waste[citation needed].[5]

Saudi media report the project could be completed within 12 months, comparing it to the second, 72 km lane, of the Suez Canal which took about 12 months to finish.[4] However, only half of the distance involved digging new waterways while the remainder was only widening existing channels.[1]

Some media sources seem to prefer a route avoiding maritime boundary passing through Khawr al Udayd,[6] which is a bay and nature reserve also under the Tentative List of the World Heritage Siteand mostly shared in a maritime border with Qatar.

Source : Wikipedia

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
@Khafee @aliraza @AliYusuf @TsAr @Gripen9

Lately I was researching on different canals in the world, Proposed projects and abandoned projects and I came through this. Shed some light if you know anything interesting

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Don't you have something better to do....
I was always fascinated with my idea of creating a canal on the outskirts of karachi and floating the city away from mainland in order to avoid unneeded people. Then this joke turned into a research and i got to know about various canals lol