Saudi Arabia gives Sudan $5 billion in military aid

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia gives Sudan $5 billion in military aid

February 22, 2016 (KHARTOUM) - Saudi Arabia has granted five billion dollar military assistance to Sudan initially dedicated to the Lebanese army, multiple sources told Sudan Tribune on Monday.

sudanese_soldiers_participating_in_the_thunder_of_the_north_joint_military_exercices_in_saudi_arabia_on_16_feb_2016_photo_spa-011-769a6.jpg

Sudanese troops participating in the ’North Thunder’ military drill with troops from 20 nations in Saudi Arabia on 16 February 2016 (Photo Saudi Press Agency)
The diversion of military aid to Sudan comes as the Saudi Press Agency announced on Friday 19 February the cancellation of a $3 billion aid package for the Lebanese army and the remainder of $1 billion in aid it had earmarked for Lebanon’s security service.

The military aid to Sudan was announced to President Omer al-Bashir by the Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, during a two-hour visit to the Sudanese capital Khartoum, seemingly in return to his total political and military support to Saudi Arabia in the regional confrontation against Iran.

"The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has diverted to Sudan its military aid to Lebanon," the sources told Sudan Tribune.

"The Kingdom will give Sudan military assistance amounting to $ 5 billion for its army and other regular forces rather than Lebanon because they didn’t condemn the attack on the Saudi embassy in Tehran," the sources further said.

Sudan Tribune was not able to get an official confirmation for this news from the Sudanese government officials who refused to comment when reached on Monday evening.

It is not clear if Sudan will get the French weapons initially designed for the Lebanese army or will buy weapons from China and Russia, Sudan traditional weapon providers.

The Saudi gift will enhance military capacities of the Sudanese army as it is now member of a Saudi-led military regional alliance.

(ST)

Related article:

Saudi Arabia gives Sudan $5 billion in military aid - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Interesting move, that's a lot of money. I wonder what Sudan will put use to it for? It's about time Saudi Arabia sponsors militaries or proxy militias if it wants to influence the region. In similar way Iran sponsors Hezbollah, Saudi Arabia needs something like that. I don't know if Sudan will fit that bill.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Interesting move, that's a lot of money. I wonder what Sudan will put use to it for? It's about time Saudi Arabia sponsors militaries or proxy militias if it wants to influence the region. In similar way Iran sponsors Hezbollah, Saudi Arabia needs something like that. I don't know if Sudan will fit that bill.

The military alliance formed recently is a blow to everyone in the world. No need to sponsor any militias. Sudan will use this fund to modernize its airforce and navy most likely.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
The military alliance formed recently is a blow to everyone in the world. No need to sponsor any militias.

No it isn't, most of the Asian nations in it just did so for symbolic reasons. Jordan, Egypt and UAE are in it for no reason. They are all pro-Russia in some cases. UAE and Saudi interests in Yemen were different at one point too. They will not come to your assistance in any situation. Probably Sudan is your only reliable ally in all of this. That's why it's important to have ideological base supporting you.

Which means become a Sunni Islamic government which influences Sunni religious people. That's how you will be effective in the region. Otherwise nobody is going to fight or make sacrifice for a monarchy. And don't rely on Arab nationalism, because it is well dead. There are many divisions among Arabs.

Right now Saudi Arabia is at least having a proactive approach by reaching out to Sudan, being more assertive against Iran and providing support to Syrian and Yemeni opposition. But it will find out rather quickly that it won't cut it. If you don't appeal to Sunni Muslims then you're on your own. Not just you, Egypt, Jordan and UAE also need to realize this.

Sudan will use this fund to modernize its airforce and navy most likely.

The alliance formed has enough aerial power. Sudan should use it to develop armed forces further.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Good job.>|>|>|

Sudan has a professional military units and is a trusted ally, but they lack the modern equipment and this funds will help them improving their capabilities.

They didn't hesitate to stand with us and we really appreciate that.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
No it isn't, most of the Asian nations in it just did so for symbolic reasons. Jordan, Egypt and UAE are in it for no reason. They are all pro-Russia in some cases. UAE and Saudi interests in Yemen were different at one point too. They will not come to your assistance in any situation. Probably Sudan is your only reliable ally in all of this. That's why it's important to have ideological base supporting you.

Which means become a Sunni Islamic government which influences Sunni religious people. That's how you will be effective in the region. Otherwise nobody is going to fight or make sacrifice for a monarchy. And don't rely on Arab nationalism, because it is well dead. There are many divisions among Arabs.

Right now Saudi Arabia is at least having a proactive approach by reaching out to Sudan, being more assertive against Iran and providing support to Syrian and Yemeni opposition. But it will find out rather quickly that it won't cut it. If you don't appeal to Sunni Muslims then you're on your own. Not just you, Egypt, Jordan and UAE also need to realize this.

The alliance formed has enough aerial power. Sudan should use it to develop armed forces further.

I have to disagree with you. The alliance was formed based on fighting terrorism wherever they appear and that is an agreement agreed upon by all members of the alliance. Terrorist organizations like Hizbollah, ISIS and the Shia militias in Iraq are on things to do list of the alliance.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
One is likely to understand the Saudi military rivalry with Iran. But put into perspective, it is now clear that the cost of peace can either be astronomical or near zero when diplomacy and statesmanship apply. I think in the 21st century unhelpful mini cold wars should be shelved for rapprochement and the huge sums put to good use to bring food security and purchase medical supplies. Poverty is manifestly manmade.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
It's a good move by Saudi but I wonder where the decision makers who received the money intend to buy their military transports and armament. I wonder which country or group supplies weapons to the Sudanese military.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
It looks like Saudi Arabia is the big brother of Islamic countries just like what America is to Asian countries particularly the Philippines. However, that huge amount is for military aid. It would have been great if Saudi Arabia had pumped fundings for the economic development of such countries that they are trying to help. Surely Sudan needs money although in fairness to Saudi Arabia, I understand that Sudan is currently in a civil war status so the military aid is more important.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
It looks like Saudi Arabia is the big brother of Islamic countries just like what America is to Asian countries particularly the Philippines. However, that huge amount is for military aid. It would have been great if Saudi Arabia had pumped fundings for the economic development of such countries that they are trying to help. Surely Sudan needs money although in fairness to Saudi Arabia, I understand that Sudan is currently in a civil war status so the military aid is more important.
Yes, it would have been great if the Saudis had earmarked some of that funding for economic development in Sudan. however, the intent of the Saudis is not to promote economic development. The Saudis main agenda to compete against Iran for the chief power broker role in that region.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
a very interesting move by Saudi Arabia. I think Saudis moved onto the Sudanese for a reason. Sudan does have a capable military including they are the only foreign operator of the Chinese Type 96 MBT. If Sudan's government uses the money correctly there should be enough for upgrades in their army, air force and navy.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
a very interesting move by Saudi Arabia. I think Saudis moved onto the Sudanese for a reason. Sudan does have a capable military including they are the only foreign operator of the Chinese Type 96 MBT. If Sudan's government uses the money correctly there should be enough for upgrades in their army, air force and navy.

Sudan also have a decent defense industry and this kind of fund would definitely boost up their output. I was shocked when first saw what kind of weaponry and defense systems Sudan manufactures.