Professional
Reactions
230 5 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

(*_-) *-)

Quote :

Revealed: Saudi Arabia's 'Great Wall' to keep out Isil

Middle Eastern Kingdom building 600-mile wall and ditch along its border with Iraq in effort to insulate itself from the chaos engulfing its neighbours.

By Richard Spencer, Middle East Correspondent
3:54PM GMT 14 Jan 2015

When a raiding party from Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant attacked a Saudi border post last week, it was no mere hit on a desert outpost.

The jihadists were launching an assault on the new, highest profile effort by Saudi Arabia to insulate itself from the chaos engulfing its neighbours.

The Saudis are building a 600-mile-long “Great Wall” - a combined fence and ditch - to separates the country from Iraq to the north.

Much of the area on the Iraqi side is now controlled by Isil, which regards the ultimate capture of Saudi Arabia, home to the “Two Holy Mosques” of Mecca and Medina, as a key goal.

The proposal had been discussed since 2006, at the height of the Iraqi civil war, but work began in September last year after Isil’s charge through much of the west and north of the country gave it a substantial land border with the Kingdom to the south.

The border zone now includes five layers of fencing with watch towers, night-vision cameras and radar cameras.

Riyadh also sent an extra 30,000 troops to the area.

It is not the only fence with which Saudi Arabia has chosen to surround itself. Despite the difficulty of access to westerners, the country is relatively open to fellow Muslim nations, particularly during the Haj season when pilgrims from across the world come to Mecca and Medina.

However, that is changing in changing times.

It has also created a physical barrier along parts of the even longer, 1,000-mile border with Yemen to the south.

The attack last week is the sort of incident the Saudis hope to avoid.

All four attackers also died.

The Telegraph

Last edited:

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think this is really an intelligent move. They should have done years before, but it's a good thing that they are doing it know than they would only do it later. Let's just hope that this protective barrier would be really effective in functioning its role. Money and the effort shouldn't get to waste. So in every way that it's spent, it must be efficient and effective.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I likewise think this is a great strategy. Are the officials fans of Game of Thrones, perhaps? Or did anyone happen to watch Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)? Both works account for the existence of behemoth walls surrounding and protecting the kingdoms, keeping the larger enemy at bay. Still, even if there are walls, you can't always guarantee security and peace. There might be traitors within your own walls. Saudi must be vigilant.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
This seems like quite the large undertaking and I wish them the best of luck in implementing it. However, I wonder how effective it will actually be in preventing small groups of militants from crossing. Also, if the shared along Jordan and Kuwait are porous, then they can just bypass any wall.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it may work and will take time to build, if the workers are real good and paid well and given good food will have a more productive group and will end in a few weeks which is good. I like how they have planned it out, and the design looks good and is really good and looks nice. I wander how the spending will work and who is paying the taxpayers or the government, and should be wisely spent and hope it works for the people.

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Will never work and they are suddenly going to find themselves feeling a lot of sympathy and learning a lot from Israel. The problem isn´t the physical wall, the problem is they are going to have to prevent muslims from getting to the Holy Cities. So now they have two choices, they allow all muslims to do pilgrimages to the holy cities, which therefor makes the wall nearly meaningless since the terrorists will use the holidays to get past it, or else they are going to start disallowing muslim to visit these very important cities, which is going to turn Saudi Arabia into a hated enemy and major target for many different factions of the Islamic world.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Will never work and they are suddenly going to find themselves feeling a lot of sympathy and learning a lot from Israel. The problem isn´t the physical wall, the problem is they are going to have to prevent muslims from getting to the Holy Cities. So now they have two choices, they allow all muslims to do pilgrimages to the holy cities, which therefor makes the wall nearly meaningless since the terrorists will use the holidays to get past it, or else they are going to start disallowing muslim to visit these very important cities, which is going to turn Saudi Arabia into a hated enemy and major target for many different factions of the Islamic world.

I would like to know what could we learn from Israel? Can you elaborate please.