Saudi prince Miteb bin Abdullah pays $1bn in corruption settlement | World Defense

Saudi prince Miteb bin Abdullah pays $1bn in corruption settlement

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Saudi prince Miteb bin Abdullah pays $1bn in corruption settlement
Former contender for throne released from detention after admitting to several accusations, official says

1364.jpg

Prince Miteb bin Abdullah was head of the National Guard until earlier this month. Photograph: Philippe Wojazer/Reuters
  • mber 2017 09.40 GMTLast modified on Wednesday 29 November 2017 17.39 GMT​
The senior Saudi prince Miteb bin Abdullah, once seen as a leading contender for the throne, has been released from detention after paying more than $1bn in a settlement with authorities, a Saudi official said.Miteb, 65, the son of the late King Abdullah and former head of the elite National Guard, was among dozens of royal family members, ministers and senior officials rounded up as part of a corruption inquiry, partly aimed at strengthening the power of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The official, who is involved in the anti-corruption campaign, said Miteb was released on Tuesday after reaching “an acceptable settlement agreement”. The amount was not disclosed but the official said it is believed to be the equivalent of more than $1bn (£745m).
“It is understood that the settlement included admitting corruption involving known cases,” the official said.
A Saudi official said the prince was accused of embezzlement, hiring non-existent employees and awarding contracts to his own firms, including a $10bn deal for walkie talkies and bulletproof military gear worth billions of Saudi riyals.
The allegations against the others who were detained included kickbacks, inflating government contracts, extortion and bribery.
The claims could not be independently verified.
Saudi authorities had been working on striking agreements with some of those in detention, asking them to hand over assets and cash in return for their freedom.
News of the purge emerged in early November, soon after King Salman decreed the creation of an anti-corruption committee led by Prince Mohammed, his 32-year-old favourite son, who has amassed power since his rapid rise three years ago.
The body was given broad powers to investigate cases, issue arrest warrants and travel restrictions, and seize assets.
Apart from Miteb, the Saudi official said that at least three other people allegedly involved in corruption cases had finalised settlement agreements.
The public prosecutor had decided to release a number of individuals and to prosecute at least five. The official gave no details of their identities.
The authorities have not revealed detailed charges against any of the detainees. It was also unclear whether Miteb would have full freedom or if he would be put under house arrest. Officials from Miteb’s office could not immediately be reached for comment. An acquaintance of the family said earlier on Twitter that Miteb was receiving brothers and sons at his palace in Riyadh.
Among the 11 princes, four serving ministers, dozens of former ministers and officials, and tycoons detained at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Riyadh was the kingdom’s best-known businessman, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, who owns stakes in global companies such as Citigroup and Twitter.
However, many observers believe the primary target of the purge was Prince Miteb, who was in charge of the 100,000-strong National Guard and represented the last significant centre of power left standing after the toppling of the former Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef.
By launching a war on corruption, Prince Mohammed bin Salman combined a popular cause with the elimination of perhaps the last obstacles between him and the throne.
As the Sandhurst-trained preferred son of King Abdullah, Miteb was once thought to be a leading contender for the throne.
Before he was sacked by a royal decree on 4 November, he was the last remaining member of Abdullah’s Shammar branch of the family to retain a key position at the top of the Saudi power structure, after brothers Mishaal and Turki were relieved of their posts as governors in 2015.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Mohammad al-Tobaishi the former head of protocol at the Royal Court paid $6 bl. Im glad we are getting back whats ours.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Something is missing ........... princes, with key roles ....... why would they indulge in corruption ......... what for?

And considering the strict punishments in Saudi kingdom ............ plea bargain looks odd and out of place.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Something is missing ........... princes, with key roles ....... why would they indulge in corruption ......... what for?

And considering the strict punishments in Saudi kingdom ............ plea bargain looks odd and out of place.

For money.

The national guard signed a deal for helmets costed $800 a piece. The army got the same helmets for $400 a piece. multiply 800 by 200k and / 2. Prince Miteb got half and the other half went to the deal.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
For money.

The national guard signed a deal for helmets costed $800 a piece. The army got the same helmets for $400 a piece. multiply 800 by 200k and / 2. Prince Miteb got half and the other half went to the deal.
But they already have so much money,why the need to do such things?

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
But they already have so much money,why the need to do such things?

When you have the chance you fill your pocket why not? The thought they would get away with it. The estimation of state money stolen is about $1 trillion. Now either the pay their freedom by giving the money back or stay where they are.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
For money.

Strange ..... for an already rich wealthy person to indulge in a scam, but if the proofs are there then I am sure there is nothing extraordinary going on. This is also a good case study that how greedy we humans can be ....... and may be the right time for Arabia to establish checks and balances and start accountability mechanism from top to bottom, if it doesn't exist?

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
Strange ..... for an already rich wealthy person to indulge in a scam, but if the proofs are there then I am sure there is nothing extraordinary going on. This is also a good case study that how greedy we humans can be ....... and may be the right time for Arabia to establish checks and balances and start accountability mechanism from top to bottom, if it doesn't exist?
It exists and then it doesn't.....As explained by member above they have a feeling to get away...I can give you small example " Once for a government hostel contractor executed the work with local ties subsequently it was demanded now we need Italian tiles and arrange a visit to Italy too for same with all arrangements"..Again on same project Palm Tress worth SAR 850 as i remember purchased at SAR 3,300 ..One knows where the money goes like this...These are just minute example i can quote with memory as far as i remember.."
Imagine a trip to Thailand for evading ........... with all the perks including sharrab, shabab aur kabab...

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
It exists and then it doesn't.....As explained by member above they have a feeling to get away...I can give you small example " Once for a government hostel contractor executed the work with local ties subsequently a change in noble heading the misnitry demanded now we need Italian tiles and arrange a visit to Italy too for same with all arrangements"..Again on same project Palm Tress worth SAR 850 as i remember purchased at SAR 3,300 ..One knows where the money goes like this...These are just minute example i can quote with memory as far as i remember.."
Imagine a trip to Thailand for evading Zakat with all the perks including sharrab, shabab aur kabab...

Then my question is what was the need for proving itself to be a crime free, strict with the punishments kingdom? The elites were left without any questioning checks and balances in place to loot under the government's nose, and strict laws remained their for common folks?

The plea bargain in this case is special treatment being afforded to them because they are princes? Where is equality in that?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA

The current crown prince his royal highness Mohammed Bin Salman pledged to investigate all deals/projects whether in the past or in present both military and civil and holds anyone involved in corruption liable. He has done a quite remarkable job so far. He is enjoying so much pubic support for what he is doing.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
The current crown prince his royal highness Mohammed Bin Salman pledged to investigate all deals/projects whether in the past or in present both military and civil and holds anyone involved in corruption liable. He has done a quite remarkable job so far. He is enjoying so much pubic support for what he is doing.

That is good thing, I don't doubt his intentions but these elites were left unchecked for so many years, the kingdom didn't have any accountability mechanism and checks in place?

The other thing is apparently the crime has been proven ...... that's why Miteb opted a plea bargain ...... why afford them special treatment when they are thieves? What is the punishment for a thief in Arabia? Imprisonment?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
That is good thing, I don't doubt his intentions but these elites were left unchecked for so many years, the kingdom didn't have any accountability mechanism and checks in place?

The other thing is apparently the crime has been proven ...... that's why Miteb opted a plea bargain ...... why afford them special treatment when they are thieves? What is the punishment for a thief in Arabia? Imprisonment?

It actually did not because there was not established system to track corruption. The ministry of monetization does a direct deposit to the state institutions and the heads of those institutions get to decided what do with the money. Now its the other way around. The ministry of monetization is the one to finalize the deals and make direct payment to the main party/company..etc. No more direct deposit to any of the state sectors. All those caught are into custody whether a settlement is reached or not. No travelling is allowed either for those sat free. So yeah imprisonment is the punishment.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
It actually did not because there was not established system to track corruption. The ministry of monetization does a direct deposit to the state institutions and the heads of those institutions get to decided what do with the money. Now its the other way around. The ministry of monetization is the one to finalize the deals and make direct payment to the main party/company..etc. No more direct deposit to any of the state sectors. All those caught are into custody whether a settlement is reached or not. No travelling is allowed either for those sat free. So yeah imprisonment is the punishment.

What would be the domestic fallout of all this? The citizens remain indifferent and support this or we may see dissenting opinions / voices with passage of time?

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
What would be the domestic fallout of all this? The citizens remain indifferent and support this or we may see dissenting opinions / voices with passage of time?

We have had enough of corruption. Money that should have gone for development of education and infrastructure went to the wrong hands. Cities like Jeddah, Al-Baha, Abha are partially neglected. There many contracts that were signed but never seen the light. From a major contracts to subcontracts and the cycle goes on. People strongly support the move taken by MBS and you can tell by reading Saudi newspaper, people's opinion on social media and public polls published by The Ministry of Culture and Information.