Saudi royal calls for regime change in Riyadh | World Defense

Saudi royal calls for regime change in Riyadh

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Saudi royal calls for regime change in Riyadh | World news | The Guardian

A senior Saudi prince has launched an unprecedented call for change in the country’s leadership, as it faces its biggest challenge in years in the form of war, plummeting oil prices and criticism of its management of Mecca, scene of last week’s hajj tragedy.

The prince, one of the grandsons of the state’s founder, Abdulaziz Ibn Saud, has told the Guardian that there is disquiet among the royal family – and among the wider public – at the leadership of King Salman, who acceded the throne in January.

The prince, who is not named for security reasons, wrote two letters earlier this month calling for the king to be removed.

“The king is not in a stable condition and in reality the son of the king [Mohammed bin Salman] is ruling the kingdom,” the prince said. “So four or possibly five of my uncles will meet soon to discuss the letters. They are making a plan with a lot of nephews and that will open the door. A lot of the second generation is very anxious.”

“The public are also pushing this very hard, all kinds of people, tribal leaders,” the prince added. “They say you have to do this or the country will go to disaster.”

A clutch of factors are buffeting King Salman, his crown prince, Mohammed bin Nayef, and the deputy crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

A double tragedy in Mecca – the collapse of a crane that killed more than 100, followed by a stampede last week that killed 700 – has raised questions not just about social issues, but also about royal stewardship of the holiest site in Islam.

As usual, the Saudi authorities have consistently shrugged off any suggestion that a senior member of the government may be responsible for anything that has gone wrong.

Local people, however, have made clear on social media and elsewhere that they no longer believe such claims.

“The people inside [the kingdom] know what’s going on but they can’t say. The problem is the corruption in using the resources of the country for building things in the right form,” said an activist who lives in Mecca but did not want to be named for fear of repercussions.

“Unfortunately the government points the finger against the lower levels, saying for example: ‘Where are the ambulances? Where are the healthcare workers?’ They try to escape the real reason of such disaster,” he added.
Pilgrims circle counterclockwise Islam’s holiest shrine, the Kaaba, at the Grand Mosque in Mecca

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I don't know if this comment is appropriate in deference for my great respect for the royals. The emperor of Japan and Thailand are both so loved by the people and their lineage are absolutely observed. The problem with the Saudi royals is their scattered bloodline - the children of the half-siblings tend to create animosities and develop differences in ideas and indifferences in attitudes.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Unless a bloody revolution is how they plan to change the regime then all this subversive talk will achieve nothing. If they wanted to change the regime they should have done it when King Abdullah passed on.

If I was a royal I definitely wouldn't want to get involved with politics. Enjoy the benefits of being a blue-blood that's what I'd do.