Secular bloggers hacked in streets | World Defense

Secular bloggers hacked in streets

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) — The writer, a thin young man who fears the growing interweaving of religion and politics in Bangladesh, knows his turn could come next. What happened earlier this week, when the second secularist blogger in less than a month was hacked to death in the streets of the capital, made it clear he wasn't safe.

Should he run for safety, or stick to his principals? Is writing the blog worth his life?
My Way News - Bangladesh secular writers fearful after 2nd blogger slain

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think, it is going to be a hard choice as many are against what he is writing so will have to think about his safety and family and will need to move away as he could lose his life this way. Doing it at the cost of his life, is going to have consequeces and in this country it looks like different views is not fully accepted over there and talking about it can be risky as two bloggers have been killed this way. The government, needs to do more to protect the people and also needs to make sure the security is improved so people can be safe as well.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
If secular bloggers are being targeted then the thin young man, ought to quietly leave Bangladesh. Some things are worth dying for but secularism . . . unfortunately isn't one of them. When in Rome you either blend in or walk out.

JPB_003

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
I don't know what the right answer is really. I commend anyone who is willing to die for human rights, but I wouldn't blame you for not being brave enough. It is easy to say "STICK IT TO THE PEOPLE" and keep writing, but once you get real death threats the tone changes.

Nate

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Islam: The religion of peace. Sometimes the irony in that statement pretty thick. I know not all Muslims aren't about killing in the name of religion, but some of the laws are pretty barbaric. I found this site explaining why Islam is not as peaceful as it claims to be.

Top ten reasons why Islam is NOT the religion of peace

I am aware that not all Muslims are insane. I used to work with one, he was a pretty nice guy, but we never talked religion or politics.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
Absolutely awful. If I were him I would be scared to death and probably leave the country. But not being able to voice you're, to never be able to change your country might just be even scarier.