See What Life Is Like On A US Navy Submarine! | World Defense

See What Life Is Like On A US Navy Submarine!

SLTE

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Canada
Neat. Enjoyed that. You get a bit of a sense of what life is like on a sub watching movies, but it's cool to see more of the day-to-day stuff. Those dudes - the white ones, anyway - must be incredibly pasty after a few months of living in a tube.

Submarines strike me as the closest earthbound approximation to living in a space shuttle for a prolonged period of time: complete reliance on instrumentation, cramped quarters, surrounded by potentially lethal atmosphere at all times... what a life.

BrandonA

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Submarines are a marvel of engineering. Every cubic inch has a purpose; no space whatsoever is wasted. And while you'd think confined camaraderie like that would drive people nuts, it actually drives them together (though it helps that these guys have tough psych profiles).

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't stick being stuck in such an enclosed space while knowing your deep underwater. Submariners are a brave breed.

You just know a lot of the experiences, tech and methods will translate well into space exploration. Maybe we'll end up with starmariners as an equivalent? :p

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
In order to get exercise they rely on exercise bikes and treadmills. I wonder what other adjustments they have to make to keep sailors mentally and physically fit. Anyhow, any disadvantages to submarine life are more than made up by the extra pay.