Should Europe have one army? | World Defense

Should Europe have one army?

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
If all European countries pooled their defense budgets into one unified army, Europe would have a much more effective defense. Do you think Europe should have one unified army?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed here previously. My thoughts remain the same, I don't think it would work. Can you imagine Dutch and French soldiers getting along fine with the Germans? It's surprising how much resentment these countries still hold against Germany after WWII and whilst I'm sure that whilst on duty, they would be nothing less than professional, it would be a different story in the mess room.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed here previously. My thoughts remain the same, I don't think it would work. Can you imagine Dutch and French soldiers getting along fine with the Germans? It's surprising how much resentment these countries still hold against Germany after WWII and whilst I'm sure that whilst on duty, they would be nothing less than professional, it would be a different story in the mess room.

Nope, that stuff is long gone. There really are no hard feelings between the soldiers. Don't know where you got this info from, but it's wrong.

But I do agree that a unified "european military" would probably not work too well. More and more cooperation is always good but each country still needs their own military... it's just more simple that way, especially when it comes to equipment and political decisions.

Chingling

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Europe is quite a large area, with many different countries. I agree with Crimsonghost that cooperation is good, but creating one central military for all of these different countries would be very difficult. This unified military would not really be a show of cooperation, but instead a large body that would become inefficient. Cooperation would be separate armies working together, instead of merging to create one. This is much easier because each military would only have to deal with their country, whereas a unified military would have to deal with every country.

JPB_003

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
I agree with most statements, I don't think it will work. I mean, I am sure it would "work", but not be great. There is simply to many different ideas that countries have about what is best. I don't see Belgium agreeing with Estonia that Russia is as big of a threat as the Estonians think it is and vice versa.

wahmed

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
No that would be silly. Each country has its own interests many of which can be conflicting. It just wouldn't work

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
I don't think it would work simply because of the fact that despite their being a European "Union", each country still has it's own agenda, it's own alliances and it's own goals. Another potential bad outcome is that think how hard it would be to coordinate and organize such an army. If you have people who can't speak each other's languages, have had completely different ways of being brought up, and different values.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I believe this has been posted here before. I think I previously disagreed, but on second thought I'm thinking this might actually be good idea. If Europe had a unified army that would be one step closer to one army for the entire planet, which would prevent all conflict.