Should nations seek a more global economy to ensure stability? | World Defense

Should nations seek a more global economy to ensure stability?

TinVanMan

Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
There are serious problems in many countries around the world due to being shut out by the larger national economies. It seems that if we tried to create more connections to all countries, then we might be able to reduce suffering in these countries. I understand that all countries have some percentage of the population that are in poverty. Of course, poverty in different countries means different things. I disagree with the idea that I shouldn't help someone from another country because people from my country are suffering. If America, for example, took diplomatic steps to help other countries with large amounts of suffering wouldn't this stablize both countries by cementing a working relationship?

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It might cement a working relationship, yes. But for most of the countries that are in poverty there is a reason such as a lack of natural resources. Therefore it would not be profitable for America to help the poorest countries in Africa. I believe that cheap technology (laptops, smartphones, etc.) will help these countries more. If we had the opportunity to speak to people in extreme poverty on Facebook, for example, we would be donating 50% of our income without hesitation.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
"An economy (Greek οίκος-household and νέμoμαι - manage) or economic system consists of the production, distribution or trade, and consumption of limited goods and services by different agents in a given geographical location."

When you have countries with nothing to offer in exchange for our money, it has nothing to do with economy. It is charity. And I think that we have enough issues in the west that need solving, better use OUR money to improve OUR lives. If we have some left over then sure help the others, but this is not where most western countries are at currently.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
We should seek a more globalized economy because it's good for the standards of living of everyone. The more trade and commerce between countries the better. We've seen this in the declining poverty throughout the world because of emerging economies like India and China lifting their people out of poverty. The more capitalism, the better. The freer the world economy, the better. It will only improve life for the vast majority of people.

BigBIgFan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Absolutely not, I do not want or need to become part of a global economy because in reality I will only ever spend my money localy and only local authorities know the specific conditions I live in, which are different than anywhere else. One rule of law that ignores borders can never justly represent individuals everywhere, it's not possible, at least not without a lot of grief and heartache.

For example: should all schools stop selling ham sandwhiches because muslims do not eat pork? That might be offensive to people in areas that are predominantly not muslim who enjoy ham and/or raise pigs. People are different and they need to be represented based on their individual needs, not the collective needs of everyone. I feel that the world's differences make us stronger, not weaker, and a lot would be lost if we all conformed to the same rules.

Too much power in the hands of too few people has always, throughout history, been problematic. Do you really think one controlling group of people could objectively look out for the best interests of everyone else and not just their own? Would you listen to a foreign ruler?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
We're already in the age of globalization so you don't have to worry that much. However, I don't think the global economy you want to pursue is going to ensure stability. You forget that there are political, cultural and religious factors at play too. Because of these factors, some nations may want to opt out of international free trade and you can't force this global economy on them. Also, countries still have the right to preserve their own sovereignty. Too much globalization may whither away their identity. Though you can help other nations, the other party might get stuck in a vicious cycle of dependency. There are so many things to consider and I honestly see nothing wrong with today's FTAs and regional blocs.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
As long people [it doesn't matter where they live] . . . as long as people are selfish there always will be suffering and wars. Only the equal distribution of wealth would solve the issue of inequality. If equality exists, people don't fight each other. They live in peace as equals.

But . . . because of greed/selfishness, everyone will be working for themselves to improve their lives. Those who can't or don't, will always be poor. Those who feel the world owes them something will declare war . . . just as Germany did in 1939.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think a global economy is a nice idea but I very much doubt that it would work in reality.

Like what's been said in previous posts, for one a global economy would need all the countries to work together and I think we can already see that isn't going to happen in the near future over anything, and especially not the economy.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
It really depends, and you can't make a blanket statement and say that becoming a more open and global economy will help a country grow and become successful. For some, opening up it's market to foreign governments and companies might lead to more jobs and a higher skilled workforce, but it could also mean that these foreign companies will only be using your economy for cheap labour, while the higher positions will be filled from people outside the country. It could also mean that the money people are spending in foreign owned shops and chains goes out of the country and very little left inside in the form of taxes and such.

For some countries it might be better to develop their own infrastructure to promote local businesses, of course this will require potential investment and financial aid if it is a poor country, but this might mean that more money stays inside the country than leave it.

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
There are serious problems in many countries around the world due to being shut out by the larger national economies. It seems that if we tried to create more connections to all countries, then we might be able to reduce suffering in these countries. I understand that all countries have some percentage of the population that are in poverty. Of course, poverty in different countries means different things. I disagree with the idea that I shouldn't help someone from another country because people from my country are suffering. If America, for example, took diplomatic steps to help other countries with large amounts of suffering wouldn't this stablize both countries by cementing a working relationship?
I don't think the main reason why other countries are struggling is because they are getting shut out by larger economies. For the most part, other countries struggle because of bad leadership. I don't know how many times I've heard of economic aid that was given to a country only to find out that the leadership REFUSED to give the help to the people in need and either kept it for themselves or sold it or simply refused to give it to the people in order to wield more power and control over their people. You know, the U.S. has a blueprint for how to govern. Our Constitution. It made us into one of the most powerful nations in the world. It has therefore proven itself, I think, to be fairly successful. Any nation in the world is MORE THAN WELCOME to make copies of our founding documents and start emulating the principles of these documents. I really wish they would, as a matter of fact. Perhaps some could really take these documents to heart and do even better than the U.S. did with them!

No way do I want to see more power going to a small group of world leaders. That is a recipe for disaster. A decentralized approach is best. As someone else mentioned here, it is the local communities that know their area and it is the local people that know best how they want to govern themselves. I believe each human should be recognized as being created equal, not each governmental body.

America HAS given TONS of money to other countries. What does these other countries do with the money? It seems most squander it away, although Israel has chosen to use the aid they have received over the decades to build a good life for themselves. I personally, am getting sick and tired of all the aid we give to countries who have told us clearly they hate us and want us gone. It's simply nuts to give them one single penny.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's the same in the UK. Didn't we just give India I think it was something like a billion pound to help with their economy? Even though they're in the process if developing their own space programme?

There's definitely something not right there!

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
I agree with you in many points, if not everyone. I think that everyone should do its best to provide the world stability in terms of economy because this would mean the solution to a lot of problems but it's not that easy as it's said. There are so many interest behind this that we can't even imagine thus I bet this won't be realizable in short times, not even short-mid time. Also the world hunger would be reduced if we distribute richness even on the poorest countries (see Africa).

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
We, the UK have spent billions of pounds in aid, entirely devoted to hunger and famine in Africa and it's no better now than what it ever has been.

While I am all for giving to those that need it, I also have to say that charity begins at home. For a global economy to work, countries will all have to be on the same page about in which direction and where their wealth is going.

I don't want another country to tell the UK where it should spend it's money, especially when we waste enough of it already. Child poverty and people having to use food banks to live is on the increase across the UK, but yet our government is giving £1.2 billion of tax payers money, to Africa to ease poverty and famine in their country every year...

Is it only me that can see there's something wrong in that?

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Let us be honest here, poverty is a means by which people get rich and maintain power and therefore keeping some people in poverty is desired by some among us. We will never see a truly global partnership to get rid of poverty because that would result in certain people losing power and wealth.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I do think it's fair to say that there's as much chance of getting global economy, as what there is a chance of getting world peace....not much.

On the record it's what every country wants, off it, I'm sure it's a very different matter all together.