Sicilian Mafia Offers New Yorkers Protection Against ISIS | World Defense

Sicilian Mafia Offers New Yorkers Protection Against ISIS

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I found this particularly interesting because I was just thinking the other night how it often seems when a criminal group is targeted and taken down, the one that takes their place is often worse. Then, I logged onto Twitter, and saw this article. Gangs of New York: Sicilian mafia offers Big Apple protection from 'psychopathic' ISIS — RT USA

This article mentions New Yorkers, which I take it to mean those in New York City, rather than the entire state of New York, and also mentions Sicily. I found it to be an interesting read. No doubt, publicity won't harm him, since he's looking to be a Hollywood screenwriter, but a face off between the two groups could be riveting.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think we can take that article seriously. We know the bravado of criminals and the Mafia is just the same, it can or it can be pure hogwash but I think the Mafia has no match for the terrorists. And would you take criminals to fight criminals? Whichever side wins would mean greater power and that battle would be taken as an encouragement. It would be terrible to make those Mafiosi heroes. No way.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think we can take that article seriously. We know the bravado of criminals and the Mafia is just the same, it can or it can be pure hogwash but I think the Mafia has no match for the terrorists. And would you take criminals to fight criminals? Whichever side wins would mean greater power and that battle would be taken as an encouragement. It would be terrible to make those Mafiosi heroes. No way.

Apparently ISIS hasn't gotten a foothold in Sicily, which is the origin of the (Sicilian) Mafia, at least according to the article related to the short one I posted. The mafia, at least in the traditional sense, here in the U.S., has pretty much been decimated, although some factions no doubt still exist. Back when I was working in the field, the Russian mob was building a presence here in the U.S., at least in parts of the Northeast. It sounds as if that may not be the case in Sicily. Honestly, these days, it seems the government has taken over from the mafia, using tax dollars to run things and line their own pockets, so one has to wonder who the bad guys are nowadays. I'm sure at least some of the article was based on bluster and self-promotion, but it would be good to see them try giving ISIS a run for their money. I know which side I'd be rooting for.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@Diane Lane, just for the territory that Mafia had mastered, I agree it will give ISIS a run for their money. But for how long? Can the Mafia match the fervor of ISIS? They are fighting for their religion and I see them as fanatics up to the point of giving themselves up as suicide bombers. But anyway, if that happens - Mafia fights ISIS in NY - then that may be the signal that some groups will follow.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
ISIS doesn't have any presence in NYC and even if they do have some people who may be their supporters I doubt that they pose any real danger to New Yorkers. It does appear to me like the Mafia is trying to profit from the fears of people. IMHO if they want to offer any protection, they should go South and offer their protection to Texans and Californians because there have been rumors that ISIS jihadis slip through the Mexican border into the U.S.