Snipers in American Sniper | World Defense

Snipers in American Sniper

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Has anyone seen the film American Sniper? Does anyone know what type of gun the main character, Chris, uses? Are these guns only available to the military or are they in the black market? I do not want one. This is just a question. I know movies don't always capture the entire truth. But it seems like those weapons are very accurate if there is an accurate person behind the trigger. Its a great film if anyone has not seen it. But the guns in the film used interested me very much.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
The main character (Chris Kyle) uses, at various times:

501px-Tac338.jpg

McMillan TAC-338A

500px-Knights-Armament-SR-25-Mk11-Mod-0Unsuppressed.jpg

Knight's Armament SR-25

400px-MK12Mod1.jpg

Mk 12 Mod 1 Special Purpose Rifle

400px-Mk18.jpg

MK 18 Mod 0 CQB

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Some pretty heavy duty weapons, especially hard to find without proper authorizations imo.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
Some pretty heavy duty weapons, especially hard to find without proper authorizations imo.

In the US Military those items are only issued to certain individuals. The average grunt won't lay hands on them.

In the US, among civilians, the first three are legal to own without any special requirements. Though the suppressor ("silencer") on the third requires special paperwork and a tax paid. The fourth one (MK 18 Mod 0 CQB), though is a select-fire rifle made after 1986, so it is not available to civilians.

I don't know how they are regulated abroad. The first one is fine in Canada, afaik.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Well it's not uncommon for movies to depict a slightly exaggerated reality. But still, USA has some pretty flexible gun laws that other countries around the world do not allow.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
The main character (Chris Kyle) uses, at various times:

501px-Tac338.jpg

McMillan TAC-338A

500px-Knights-Armament-SR-25-Mk11-Mod-0Unsuppressed.jpg

Knight's Armament SR-25

400px-MK12Mod1.jpg

Mk 12 Mod 1 Special Purpose Rifle

400px-Mk18.jpg

MK 18 Mod 0 CQB
The MK 18 Mod o CQB assault rifle, is cool looking would be nice to shoot at the range. That Macmillan sniper rifle at the top is that is a cool looking bolt action rifle. It definitely looks like it conquers the field. I do love the design of that Mk 12 sniper rifle the scope that just sticks out that far. That scope is just awesome and I would not mind shooting the gun just looks like it can be good support weapon.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
The Macmillan is indeed an impressive piece of hardware, particularly mated with good optics. And the .338 Lapua puts a lot of hurt down range. The cartridge is a dual-purpose anti-personnel and anti-materiel round, so it kind of is a jack of all trades. Detailed specs can be seen here.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
LOL! I hadn't seen that one, Tournique. Hilarious. Thanks. :)

Kjordo711

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
It was a truly amazing movie. I was wondering the same thing, specifically which weapons he had used. Thanks so much for this list. I also thought that picture was hilarious tournique!! For any of those out there that are waiting to see the movie. It was one of the best movies I have watched it quite some time. The credits made me shed some man tears. Definitely check it out. I could not recommend it enough.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I watched the movie and it was okay. I have watched better sniper movies before and personally I think the sniper movie about the soviet sniper called 'Enemy at the gates' is a much better movie. You all should check it out and see how American sniper compares to it.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
American sniper was a brilliant movie. Obviously, as with any Hollywood film you don't know how much of the film was padding around the facts, but at the end of the day, it's a celebration of a great sniper.

Last edited:

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
I don't really know what type of rifle was that but that film was stunning for me. Apart from the boring and bothering in some aspects love story between the two the film was amazing. By the way that was a tough sniper rifle! I would like to try it and have the same feel that Dan Bilzerian has all the days :)

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
American sniper was a brilliant movie. Obviously, as with any Hollywood film you don't know how much of the film was padding around the facts, but at the end of the day, it's a celebration of a great sniper.
I really liked the American Sniper movie it was really good, but it was also sad too since we had lost a valuable person/soldier. It shows how tough it is serving your country. I had thought about joining the military but declined since I do not want to go through the same stuff that they went through. The amount of time you have to put in while serving in the military made me think twice about doing that.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I don't know why but at the mere mention of sniper what comes to my mind are assassinations. Perhaps it is because snipers are stealths (is my term correct?) and assassins are of the same style. I have also seen a movie with a sniper gun, one that has the red laser for markmanship. When the red laser points to the head of the victim, it is 100% dead... that's according to the dialogue of the sniper.