South Korean defence exports reach record high in 2014 | World Defense

South Korean defence exports reach record high in 2014

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Jon Grevatt, Jane's Asia-Pacific Industry Reporter, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

04 January 2015

South Korean defence exports reached USD3.6 billion in 2014, the country's Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) announced 3 January.

The sales represent a record high as well as a 6% increase over the USD3.4 billion recorded in 2013. An official from DAPA quoted by South Korean news agency Yonhap added that South Korea is aiming to achieve international sales worth USD4 billion in 2015.

Major defence contracts awarded to South Korean companies during 2014 include a USD1.2 billion deal secured by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering to supply three corvettes to the Royal Malaysian Navy, and a USD423 million order to supply 12 Korea Aerospace Industries FA-50 light attack aircraft to the Philippine Air Force.

South Korean defence exports reach record high in 2014 - IHS Jane's 360

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
Jon Grevatt, Jane's Asia-Pacific Industry Reporter, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

04 January 2015

South Korean defence exports reached USD3.6 billion in 2014, the country's Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) announced 3 January.

The sales represent a record high as well as a 6% increase over the USD3.4 billion recorded in 2013. An official from DAPA quoted by South Korean news agency Yonhap added that South Korea is aiming to achieve international sales worth USD4 billion in 2015.

Major defence contracts awarded to South Korean companies during 2014 include a USD1.2 billion deal secured by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering to supply three corvettes to the Royal Malaysian Navy, and a USD423 million order to supply 12 Korea Aerospace Industries FA-50 light attack aircraft to the Philippine Air Force.

South Korea could have a solid future in Defense exports, I'd like to see them give china a little competition. China is much stronger and bigger so I don't think it's going to happen, but I wish South Korea luck.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Isn't this enough to make North Korea feel threatened, concede and just reconcile with South Korea? What's more good thing about this their increase in export is only a manifestation of their quality research and technology. If they have top-quality ones to export, open and share the world, how much more of the quality the ones that they keep hidden for their own advantage. They are sure to be greater and more advance. It's a good sign of military and defence development, but at the same time imminent for those who are at war with South Korea.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA

04 January 2015

Wow that is quite impressive i never knew the South Koreans where that much in heavy military equipment .production.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Way to go South Korea. I guess they're trying to intimidate their communist neighbors (though I could be wrong) as they seem to take this country lightly just because they're usually mum about their military-related activities. Someone mentioned about China being a bigger exporter. Still, what's quantity compared to quality?

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Isn't this enough to make North Korea feel threatened, concede and just reconcile with South Korea? What's more good thing about this their increase in export is only a manifestation of their quality research and technology. If they have top-quality ones to export, open and share the world, how much more of the quality the ones that they keep hidden for their own advantage. They are sure to be greater and more advance. It's a good sign of military and defence development, but at the same time imminent for those who are at war with South Korea.

N. Korea lives outside the realm of reality. They no longer have any leaders or advisors who were born before they became isolated. Everyone, even the leaders now, have lived in a world of propaganda their entire lives. There is nothing that can happen outside N. Korea that can force them to change or make them want to reconcile. It is why those little family meetings are so important, it is going to take awhile to teach people in N.Korea that everything they have ever head their entire lives is a lie.

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I'm surprised it isn't double that. North Korea is the craziest and most unpredictable regime in modern times.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Thanks for sharing. I was unaware that South Korea had a booming military export trade. Perhaps this is an effective way to project their power and influence in the face of regional competitors.