Space Warfare | World Defense

Space Warfare

Rock

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Do you guys think that space warfare is just a if, or a when? Once more technology is developed, countries may want to try to get resources from asteroids, there are thousands upon thousands of asteroids though. For that reason I personally think that space warfare is unlikely, due to the vastness of space and resources, the only way that warfare would probably end up happening would be if there was a real scarcity of a certain type of resources, which I think is very unlikely.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I remember during the time of Ronald Reagan as president of the US, newspapers were rife with the phrase Star Wars. From what I understood, the war is to take place in space using modern weaponry. That is to save the earth (and the people) from harm that is caused by war. But I'm not really sure if that is the case because I don't always read the newspapers during that time.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think space warfare as depicted in all works of fiction or James Bond style films will become a reality, at least not in this lifetime anyway.

The closest we will probably come to is using missiles to destroy orbiting satellites. I forget which country but I think there is already a country that is experimenting with anti-satallite missiles, and thinking about it, I think one has already been tested.

Rock

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think space warfare as depicted in all works of fiction or James Bond style films will become a reality, at least not in this lifetime anyway.

The closest we will probably come to is using missiles to destroy orbiting satellites. I forget which country but I think there is already a country that is experimenting with anti-satallite missiles, and thinking about it, I think one has already been tested.

I agree that space warfare will be nothing like it is in star wars, the distances and fuel required to go that far are simply too vast to be fighting like fighter aircraft. I wouldn't be surprised if a space war dramatically sped up our technological improvement in spacecraft, like WWI and WWII did with aircraft.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
They have starting judging asteroids by how much money its worth. Recently, a 3 trillion dollar asteroid passed by the Earth. Now that they are labeling asteroids that way, I think it'll come down to a fight. But I am leaning towards the fight happening on the ground, and a ton of new laws regulating asteroid harvesting.

ericnail

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I think it's a when. There is no reason the think that we are incapable of planning and executing attacks from space. With the rate that we are improving technology I wouldn't be surprised if something has not already been created capable of a space to earth attack. If there were I don't think common citizens would be aware of such a device.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I think it's a when. There is no reason the think that we are incapable of planning and executing attacks from space. With the rate that we are improving technology I wouldn't be surprised if something has not already been created capable of a space to earth attack. If there were I don't think common citizens would be aware of such a device.
I think you're right. Who knows what we're capable of? But I know there has been speculation that China and Russia have both sent something up. At the very least, I think they already have something they can take out all of our satellites and completely cripple us down here.

Tanis

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 1 0
Country
Germany
I don't see any kind of open warfare in space until national space programs get their acts together and start venturing into space on a regular basis. For certain definitions of 'warfare', armed conflict does take place in space through the use of satellite intelligence gathering and military satellite launches. It's just that until there is a legitimate reason to expend huge amounts of resources to go into space and fight there, nobody will.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I don't see any kind of open warfare in space until national space programs get their acts together and start venturing into space on a regular basis. For certain definitions of 'warfare', armed conflict does take place in space through the use of satellite intelligence gathering and military satellite launches. It's just that until there is a legitimate reason to expend huge amounts of resources to go into space and fight there, nobody will.
A 3 trillion dollar asteroid passed by Earth a little while back. Thats just ONE asteroid. And there are a lot more out there, waiting and begging to be torn into and harvested so greedy people can get more money.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
Well, for me it already happened.

As soon as we started throwing military sattelites in the space, I think the space war started here. Yes, it's less surprising than a space ship, but it is already in usage. I can’t know these sattelites are armed, but the fact each country constantly watch each other is already a kind of transposition of military into space.

Also, there’s already some kind of space war we all know since it is public: who supplies the ISS. Everyone fight to appear strong enough to supply regularly the ISS. I am convinced that when the US stopped Space Shuttle program and let Russians the monopoly of human transportation into space, it somehow appeared for a weakness. US is unable since few years to launch humans into space to the public view. Perhaps they have something in reserve "just in case" but that's a big thing. Also, I think Japan tries to get involved as well. If it wasn't important, they wouldn't do it.

Benoit W

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Canada
disadvеrsаriеs аnd роtеntiаl аdvеrsаriеs аrе dеvеlорing, аnd in sоmе саsеs dеmоnstrаting, disruрtivе аnd dеstruсtivе соuntеrsрасе сараbilitiеs. Furthеrmоrе, thеy аrе ехрlоiting whаt thеy реrсеivе аs sрасе vulnеrаbilitiеs—thrеаtеning thе vitаl, nаtiоnаl, сivil, sсiеntifiс аnd есоnоmiс bеnеfits tо thе U.S. аnd thе glоbаl соmmunity.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
There are already weapons made to fire weapons from space. The most common one that all major countries now possess is the EM and laser tech that grows in power when you fire it from the edge of the atmosphere. Many countries also posess A-SAT or anti-satellite weaponry.

India has had an active orbital weapon (whose name I need to find out again) since 2010. And if India has it, then I am sure that China has it, and I am pretty sure that every other rival power has it too.

Also, there is a multitude of defense mechanisms in place to protect satellites. I believe the US has had such a mechanism since 1987 when the erstwhile Soviet Union tried to test an A-SAT specifically made to bring down all US surveillance satellites in case of a war.

So, Space is already militarize. However no one is talking about it yet, because you can't place nukes in outer space. However, and this is key, you can place nukes at the edge of the atmosphere, which is what EMs basically are.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
That's not too farfetched. That can happen in the distant future when climate change has taken its toll and the earth's waters have practically dried up and lands have become deserts. We have yet to validate the existence of extraterrestrial beings.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
Space warfare is already in progress with regard t the space race raging between rival powers in the space programme. India is the latest entrant to the space race. Undoubtly, space programmes will provide greater monitoring of military installations on earth. The Star Wars programme was initiated by Ronald Reagan and this weapons race eventually resulted in the demise of Russia.