Stoltenberg wants to counter Russian build-up | World Defense

Stoltenberg wants to counter Russian build-up

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
The NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg was at today at Lisbon, Portugal and spoken about NATO and Russian.

He announced the NATO alliance considers doing more efforts to reassure the eastern members of the alliance, because of the Russia's behavior with Ukraine in the past 2 years. As well, the alliance must counter a military build-up in strategic zones that may end up in problem, like at Black Sea, Baltic or Eastern Mediterranean, as well as their position to support Al-Assad position in Syria.

The chief also warned about Russia's capacity to strategic points and how much they can control them. And for that reason, they agreed last year to go against the military spending cuts to upgrade the troops dedicated to rapid response force.

Source: NATO Chief Says Alliance Must Counter Russia Military Build-Up

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Regarding Syria, I think it is unwise to send a complementary force opposite the Russian forces. The Syrian war might turn out to be a battle of Russians against NATO forces. Perhaps NATO should wait for Russia the forces to complete the tour of duty before they send their own so as to avoid confusion. With the Black Sea, I guess the naval forces can do what US had done in the Spratlys, showing its mighty warship to the Chinese navy.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
Regarding Syria, I think it is unwise to send a complementary force opposite the Russian forces. The Syrian war might turn out to be a battle of Russians against NATO forces. Perhaps NATO should wait for Russia the forces to complete the tour of duty before they send their own so as to avoid confusion. With the Black Sea, I guess the naval forces can do what US had done in the Spratlys, showing its mighty warship to the Chinese navy.
The problem with Syria that you forget is that, if they both fight ISIS, they fight it in very different and contradictory ways: Russians fight ISIS by fighting rebel positions and trying to make Assad's power back, while U.S. defend rebels, give them resources and do air strikes to fight ISIS. Somehow, Russia is undoing the strategy of U.S.-led coalition while they say they both fight ISIS. So I don't think the coalition can really let Russia do what they're doing: they basically try to break their strategy in Syria. That doesn't sound a good option.

About the Black Sea, I would like to hear more about your hypothesis.