Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Sudan seeking Su-35s
29 November 2017
su-35s_400.jpg

Sudan has expressed interest in acquiring fighter jets from Russia, and is apparently looking into the Su-30 and Su-35 combat aircraft.

Sudanese president Omar Hassan al-Bashir visited President Vladimir Putin in Russia last week as well as Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu.

According to Ria Novosti, al-Bashir said "We requested the Su-30 because they cover the Sudanese airspace, as well as the Su-35. We have no intentions to carry out aggression abroad, we want to protect the country.”

Ria Novosti also quotes al-Bashir saying Sudan is interested in acquiring missile boats, minesweepers and air defence systems, including the S-300, but these matters were not discussed during the visit.

"We want to develop our military cooperation from attache to advisers. We have a programme for a complete renewal of the armed forces ... All of our equipment is Russian, so we need advisers in this area. When we use the equipment, we need instructors and advisors," he is quoted as saying al-Bashir also discussed the possibility of establishing a military base in the Sudan on the Red Sea.

In March, Sudanese air force chief, Salahuddin Abdul Khaliq Saeed said Sudan was buying jets from Russia and would be “fully dependent on Russia for its air armament.”

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.p...-seeking-su-35s&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I think Sudan has already inked the deal! No?

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
I think Sudan has already inked the deal! No?
There was talks Sudan inked a deal for 24 SU-35s but it was not sure if it was official or not, but if it is true, it would not be surprising because Sudan is buying armaments to counter Egypt against a future-potential Nile-river dispute.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
There was talks Sudan inked a deal for 24 SU-35s but it was not sure if it was official or not, but if it is true, it would not be surprising because Sudan is buying armaments to counter Egypt against a future-potential Nile-river dispute.

Absolutely true but I think countries the like UAE and Saudi Arabia will try to make deescalate the tension between Egypt and Sudan. Not to mention Ethiopia is also involved. I think Sudan is going after the SU deal with Russia because the US/EU are not willing to sell Sudan for many reason. 1- Allegation made against Sudan President of committing war crimes. 2- Allegation of involvement in terror support. 3- helped Iran escaped sanction at a period of time. I think its better to content the issue and look for alternative sellers.