Sudanese army says Libya pulled out its troops from the joint border force | World Defense

Sudanese army says Libya pulled out its troops from the joint border force

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Sudanese army says Libya pulled out its troops from the joint border force - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan

Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) on Saturday disclosed that Libya has withdrawn its troops from the joint border patrol forces between the two countries.

Sudan and Libya have established in November 2013 a joint force to control the borders between the two countries, stop illegal immigration and human trafficking and secure trade caravans.

The Sudanese daily Akhir Lahza on Saturday quoted SAF spokesperson, al-Sawarmi Khaled Saad as saying that no official decision has been made so far to dissolve the Sudanese-Libyan joint border control force.

“However, the Libyan side is not currently represented in the [joint] force due to unstable internal circumstances [in Libya]”, he stressed.

Saad underscored that Sudan continues to keep its troops inside its territory on the borders with Libya, noting they didn’t dissolve their troops which were part of the joint force.

The newspaper also quoted sources as saying that the Libyan city of Kufra on the Sudanese borders is currently witnessing armed clashes between local residents and armed groups comprised mainly of foreign fighters.

The same sources pointed out that the security situation has recently deteriorated following withdrawal of the Libyan troops from the joint border patrol force.

Since August 2014, Libya has two governments and parliaments since Tripoli was seized in a coalition of Islamist groups while the internationally recognized government is based in Tobruk. Qatar, Sudan and Turkey are accused of supporting this alliance.

There are also Jihadists groups linked to the extremists of The Islamic State based the eastern city of Derna.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
From what I see, what is the use of the joint forces in stopping the migration when there is war everywhere. The civil war in Libya is still raging and Sudan is also in the same state. So what is the point of that migration control? And with the emergence of the ISIS in the scene, I think those 2 countries have to reconsider they stand and give focus on ISIS.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
With the emergence of the ISIS in the scene, I think those 2 countries have to reconsider they stand and give focus on ISIS.
It won't be easy to do that.

At the present, the Libyans are busy fighting each other. The "government's" top priority is to defeat those who would oust them. While they fight, terrorist groups take advantage of the situation to recruit those who don't favor either side.

I believe that unless the Libyans stop fighting each other soon, they'll inadvertently be creating another safe haven for terrorists. Once they're firmly established they could spread south [to Sudan] . . .

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
It won't be easy to do that.

At the present, the Libyans are busy fighting each other. The "government's" top priority is to defeat those who would oust them. While they fight, terrorist groups take advantage of the situation to recruit those who don't favor either side.

I believe that unless the Libyans stop fighting each other soon, they'll inadvertently be creating another safe haven for terrorists. Once they're firmly established they could spread south [to Sudan] . . .

That's my fear - while the power struggle goes on between the government and the rebels, there's a third party lurking at the sidelines. And definitely there are people who don't favor either side so they are a good catch for the ISIS. From my recollection, that civil war in Libya had been ongoing for quite a time already. Tsk, tsk, the remnants of a dictatorship regime, a government with no direction.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Libya was better off with Gaddafi in power. In some countries only a strong [sometimes ruthless] leader can unite the people. The moment Gaddafi was out chaos ensued. Maybe the only person who might end the conflict is a religious leader all the fighting parties respect.