Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Sweden hit by third mosque arson attack in a week

c4cd8a0c-eabc-478d-a9e1-de006d288f68_16x9_600x338.JPG

A police officer investigates a suspected arson in the basement of a mosque in the southern Swedish town of Eslov Dec. 29, 2014. (Reuters)​

AFP, Stockholm
Thursday, 1 January 2015
Swedish police were hunting Thursday for at least one suspect following what is believed to be the third arson attack on a mosque in a week.

“Someone threw a firebomb, a Molotov cocktail at the building,” Torsten Hemlin a spokesman for Uppsala police told Swedish news agency, adding that the bomb did not set the mosque in eastern Sweden alight.

“They also wrote some vulgar racist words,” he said, adding that no one was in the building at the time of the attack.

Police in Sweden’s fourth largest city Uppsala were alerted by passers-by who reportedly saw a man throw a burning object at the mosque at around 0430 GMT.

“The crime has been classed as attempted arson, vandalism and incitement to hatred,” the police said in a statement appealing for eyewitnesses to come forward.

Thursday’s attack came just three days after a late night blaze at a mosque in Esloev in southern Sweden which police suspect was also arson.

On Christmas Day five people were injured when a petrol bomb was thrown through the window of a mosque in Eskilstuna, east of the capital Stockholm.

The country’s leftist Prime Minister Stefan Loefven called the Christmas attack a spurt of “hateful violence” and said Sweden would “never tolerate this kind of crime”.

According to the anti-racism magazine Expo, there have been more than a dozen attacks on mosques in Sweden in the last year.

The attacks come as debate intensifies in the country over immigration and the integration of asylum seekers in the traditionally tolerant Nordic country.

Last month the far right Sweden Democrats -- which doubled its support to 13 percent in September elections -- came close to bringing down the left-green government over its liberal refugee policies, further boosting its support in opinion polls.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...-by-third-mosque-arson-attack-in-a-week-.html

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Who are the people doing all these things. Such attacks are not called for. They just distract us from focusing on what is most important.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's a sign that people are discontent and do not feel safe and are taking their own measures. They feel threatened and unsafe with a Muslim community and don't feel the authorities are doing enough to stop these terrorists. Of course it's wrong, but you look at why they do it. Governments are too politically correct and adhere to laws of civil rights, the only thing is the terrorists don't. Therefore there is a threat and Western governments are limited in their actions and responses.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Sweden is renowned for being such a tolerant and peaceful country so I'm really surprised to see these attacks taking place. I suppose it just demonstrates the strength of discontentment. Bear in mind, though, that these attacks are probably not representative of how the Swedish population feels as a whole. Like the terrorist attacks which occur, they are the actions of a minority.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Jews going crazy since Sweden was first country to recognize Palestine, lol.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Sweden is renowned for being such a tolerant and peaceful country so I'm really surprised to see these attacks taking place. I suppose it just demonstrates the strength of discontentment. Bear in mind, though, that these attacks are probably not representative of how the Swedish population feels as a whole. Like the terrorist attacks which occur, they are the actions of a minority.

This is true, but if my memory is not failing me, it was in Sweden that we had that case of the shooter in one island that killed dozens, so terrorist attacks come where we least expect them sometimes, even in Sweden I suppose.

Stims

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This is true, but if my memory is not failing me, it was in Sweden that we had that case of the shooter in one island that killed dozens, so terrorist attacks come where we least expect them sometimes, even in Sweden I suppose.

Wait wasn't that norway? Or am i thinking of something else?

OT: Its sad too think that we see a similar report to this in the news almost daily... almost to the point that we are becoming desensitized from it all.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
People should get rid of their prejudices. I understand it if they hate ISIS, the Taliban, al-Qaeda, Boko Haram and Hamas but to actually drag innocent Muslims and treat them as if they're the same ilk as those terrorists is just immature, senseless and stupid. People should know how to differentiate the actual culprits from the non-involved. No wonder this cycle of hate never ends. The individuals responsible for setting mosques on fire obviously harbour a deep hatred for members of Islam.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Wait wasn't that norway? Or am i thinking of something else?

OT: Its sad too think that we see a similar report to this in the news almost daily... almost to the point that we are becoming desensitized from it all.

I think it might have been Norway yes, but the issue here is the one you mention, we see so much death and killings in the media that we see it as normal. Another people died and we fall asleep, no, it's a serious situation!

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Media has helped homogenize the importance of violence. Today you are immune and desensitized from such things and you are immune to the news of other people dying. A few decades ago a plane crash or mass killing would be a serious issue that would scar most of the world population that came in contact with the news.

RobertNick

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Romania
It's not gonna be the last one, I'm sure of it. Maybe if people just dropped their prejudice, but again, it's unlikely. I'm sure the hatred will keep spreading and gaining more ground as media keeps flooding the people with poor journalistic work about ISIS.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
That is another sad reality, who has made these three attacks most likely plans to continue, I just hope they get caught before, the police is doing their job as well!

Nur

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Philippines
Of course it's wrong, but you look at why they do it. Governments are too politically correct and adhere to laws of civil rights, the only thing is the terrorists don't. Therefore there is a threat and Western governments are limited in their actions and responses.
Where is the threat though? The percentage of a Muslim terrorist threat is probably less likely than the threat of a serial killer but there's no widespread arson against the religion or race of most serial killers is there? If you're painting millions of people as terrorist and a threat based on the actions of a minority in a whole different country, there's really no basis there apart from racism. The popular media has done a great job in spreading Islamaphobia and now that we're seeing the disastrous effects of this consistent profiling, it's being labelled as a response against a threat? Come on, now. You know it's simply people acting out their prejudice and racism and justifying it with flimsy excuses like protecting themselves against "the encroaching Islam" threat.

Last edited:

RobertNick

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Romania
Where is the threat though? The percentage of a Muslim terrorist threat is probably as likely as the threat of a serial killer but there's no widespread arson against the religion or race of most serial killers is there? If you're painting millions of people as terrorist and a threat based on the actions of a minority in a whole different country, there's really no basis there apart from racism. The popular media has done a great job in spreading Islamaphobia and now that we're seeing the disastrous effects of this consistent profiling, it's being labelled as a response against a threat? Come on, now. You know it's simply people acting out their prejudice and racism and justifying it with flimsy excuses like protecting themselves against "the encroaching Islam" threat.

You're right.
If you look at the things with care, you can notice that all this is about is actually just typical human intolerance.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Do you think that a police could really uncover this? Isn't this a kind of international plot from terrorists against Sweden? Well, if this is just a local attack, there's no much to worry. I mean there's is to worry, but not that much like once an international terrorist attack, other countries should also be prepared from uncertain imminent attacks. Because you really can't say, you only can predict, but prediction is never certain.