Syria conflict: Kurds declare federal system

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Kurdish parties have declared the establishment of a federal system in areas they control in northern Syria.

The Kurds already operate "autonomous administrations" in three enclaves bordering Turkey: Afrin and Kobane in Aleppo province and Jazira in Hassakeh.

The new federal region will also include mainly Arab and Turkmen areas captured from so-called Islamic State.

The declaration was dismissed by the Syrian government, which insisted that it would have no legal basis.

The US and Turkey, which is wary of anything that might encourage separatism by its own Kurdish minority, have also warned against such a unilateral move.

'Model for Syria'
The plan to declare a federal system across much of northern Syria was approved by representatives of Kurdish, Arab and other parties at a conference in Rmeilan.

_88778322_syria_control_map_624_v7.png

The region will reportedly be called "Rojava - northern Syria". Rojava is the term Kurds use to refer to western or Syrian Kurdistan.

On Wednesday, officials from the powerful Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) stressed they were not seeking to establish a Kurdish-only region, but one that included representation for all ethnic and religious groups.

The arrangement would also preserve Syrian national unity by preventing a country divided and devastated by five years of civil war from breaking up, they added.

"The federalism project is a model for all Syria," spokesman Nawaf Khalil told the Associated Press.
However, the Syrian government has ruled out the idea of a federal system.

The official Sana news agency cited a foreign ministry official as saying Thursday's declaration was "without any legal value and void of any legal, political, social or economic effect".

The main Western-backed opposition alliance, the National Coalition, meanwhile warned against "any attempt to form entities, regions, or administrations that usurp the will of the people".

Syria conflict: Kurds declare federal system - BBC News

@Bundeswehr @djdefense @Scorpion @T-123456 @Gabriel92

Sooner than I had expected, but we all saw it coming. Kurd's seem to be the only winner out of this conflict.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
LOL, me and @Scorpion have been saying this for quite sometime now and no one was listening or at least willing to discuss. Im eager to hear what Turkey is going to say about this.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
LOL, me and @Scorpion have been saying this for quite sometime now and no one was listening or at least willing to discuss. Im eager to hear what Turkey is going to say about this.

Well nobody will stop them, as they have Israeli support, which in turn brings in US support. Kurd's have secured regions in northern Iraq and Syria, which are oil rich regions as well. By the looks of it, they're planning to secure one more region in southern Turkey in order to declare independence and form a state. Which the international community will grant them(within Syria and Iraq). But, the international community won't put any effort in pressuring Israel to enable Palestinian independence.

Turkey, Iran and Arabs are losers in this case. Turkey for obvious reasons, Iran due to a chunk of land being taken from ally Assad, although maybe Kurd's will be temporary buffer against Turkey, and Arabs, who pretty much can't play a big role in the conflict anymore unless they go alone with the US idea of sponsoring the Kurds. Which I believe Arabs have settled for that option. The Arabs and US were directing rebel factions in the north to fight other rebel groups alongside the Kurds and helped enable the Kurds. My belief is that Arabs wanted this as well.

Which just again proves how terrible of allies Arabs are, nobody can trust Arab governments for anything. The Syrian opposition should just drop arms and join Assad or ISIS.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Well nobody will stop them, as they have Israeli support, which in turn brings in US support. Kurd's have secured regions in northern Iraq and Syria, which are oil rich regions as well. By the looks of it, they're planning to secure one more region in southern Turkey in order to declare independence and form a state. Which the international community will grant them(within Syria and Iraq). But, the international community won't put any effort in pressuring Israel to enable Palestinian independence.

Turkey, Iran and Arabs are losers in this case. Turkey for obvious reasons, Iran due to a chunk of land being taken from ally Assad, although maybe Kurd's will be temporary buffer against Turkey, and Arabs, who pretty much can't play a big role in the conflict anymore unless they go alone with the US idea of sponsoring the Kurds. Which I believe Arabs have settled for that option. The Arabs and US were directing rebel factions in the north to fight other rebel groups alongside the Kurds and helped enable the Kurds. My belief is that Arabs wanted this as well.

Which just again proves how terrible of allies Arabs are, nobody can trust Arab governments for anything. The Syrian opposition should just drop arms and join Assad or ISIS.

Turkey will definitely push for ground offensive inside territories under Kurds control. Its getting interesting isn't it.^^0^^

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Turkey will definitely push for ground offensive inside territories under Kurds control. Its getting interesting isn't it.^^0^^

It's not interesting as much as it is tiring. The conflicts across the region no longer make any sense. Everyone has been dragged into a clutter that nobody will gain anything from. Turkey won't risk harming US relations. The US seems to be going forward with this, as it keeps aiding Kurdish military offensives, it's not positioning them in defensive roles to hold ground. I have nothing against Kurds as a people just to be clear.

Going into the future, a Kurdish state offers benefits for Israel. Israel get's oil at cheap price, while possible airbase/runways to base attack on Iran. US also will use Kurds to its advantage, almost like a client state.

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France

Kurdish parties have declared the establishment of a federal system in areas they control in northern Syria.

The Kurds already operate "autonomous administrations" in three enclaves bordering Turkey: Afrin and Kobane in Aleppo province and Jazira in Hassakeh.

The new federal region will also include mainly Arab and Turkmen areas captured from so-called Islamic State.

The declaration was dismissed by the Syrian government, which insisted that it would have no legal basis.

The US and Turkey, which is wary of anything that might encourage separatism by its own Kurdish minority, have also warned against such a unilateral move.

'Model for Syria'
The plan to declare a federal system across much of northern Syria was approved by representatives of Kurdish, Arab and other parties at a conference in Rmeilan.

_88778322_syria_control_map_624_v7.png

The region will reportedly be called "Rojava - northern Syria". Rojava is the term Kurds use to refer to western or Syrian Kurdistan.

On Wednesday, officials from the powerful Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) stressed they were not seeking to establish a Kurdish-only region, but one that included representation for all ethnic and religious groups.

The arrangement would also preserve Syrian national unity by preventing a country divided and devastated by five years of civil war from breaking up, they added.

"The federalism project is a model for all Syria," spokesman Nawaf Khalil told the Associated Press.
However, the Syrian government has ruled out the idea of a federal system.

The official Sana news agency cited a foreign ministry official as saying Thursday's declaration was "without any legal value and void of any legal, political, social or economic effect".

The main Western-backed opposition alliance, the National Coalition, meanwhile warned against "any attempt to form entities, regions, or administrations that usurp the will of the people".

Syria conflict: Kurds declare federal system - BBC News

@Bundeswehr @djdefense @Scorpion @T-123456 @Gabriel92

Sooner than I had expected, but we all saw it coming. Kurd's seem to be the only winner out of this conflict.

We are without any doubt going toward the creation of a Kurdish state,we could expect the Kurds of Syria and Iraq unite to create a state. The things will be more complicated in Turkey.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I dont think there is much to say about this,we have to take some action,enough talking.

It's not interesting as much as it is tiring. The conflicts across the region no longer make any sense. Everyone has been dragged into a clutter that nobody will gain anything from. Turkey won't risk harming US relations. The US seems to be going forward with this, as it keeps aiding Kurdish military offensives, it's not positioning them in defensive roles to hold ground. I have nothing against Kurds as a people just to be clear.

Going into the future, a Kurdish state offers benefits for Israel. Israel get's oil at cheap price, while possible airbase/runways to base attack on Iran. US also will use Kurds to its advantage, almost like a client state.
Not going to happen,all of your points.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
We are without any doubt going toward the creation of a Kurdish state,we could expect the Kurds of Syria and Iraq unite to create a state. The things will be more complicated in Turkey.

I agree we're heading towards that literally, but will they get any form of international recognition? And if they do, how in the world is this legal? Kurd's essentially killed their way into attaining these territories and according to some reports committed ethnic cleansing. If that is acceptable standard, why doesn't the same international community provide military aid for Palestinians to liberate the West Bank which is international recognized as Palestinian territory? The point is there is double standard.

But the real question is, if they present such plans to UN, will UN take it seriously? We have yet to see, it will be interesting.

I dont think there is much to say about this,we have to take some action,enough talking.

Not going to happen,all of your points.

I'm not sure mate, I don't want Turks and Kurds dragged into senseless war. At the same time, I believe Kurds should recognize their limits and practice expansionism.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Well, the way I see it, Turkey may not like it, but someone out there will realize the benefits of such a state. And if one of the permanent members of UNSC recognize such a state, others will have to at least discuss about it. And that will make sure that peacekeepers get on the ground, that status quo be maintained, and which will in turn mean that a Kurd-run autonomous region will exist at least until the process gets over, which will take years. By which time, we will know whether this new autonomous region is a good idea or not.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
BTW, here is what the US thinks of this new Syrian autonomous region: US would not recognize Kurdish region in Syria

France has sort of declared its support- actualy they have warned Turkey from interfering, which tells me they may lend there support to the new region. But no official statement on the matter has come out yet.

France has lent support to Kurds for a looong time:

France to further support Kurdistan Region

France will send weapons to Kurds in Iraq - France in the United Kingdom - La France au Royaume-Uni

French Politicians Petition for Kurdistan Region

So, they have a definite interest in the matter. I think France will support A kurdish government in Syria should the matter go to the UN.

AND this article claims that secession of Kurdish region from Iraq is a matter of when not if! Kurdish Independence Would Reverberate Across Region – Atlantic Sentinel

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA

I hope there will be an action very time soon. I don't see any solution except a military one.