Syrian forces retake Palmyra | World Defense

Syrian forces retake Palmyra

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The famed ancient city of Palmyra is recaptured by Syrian troops backed by Russian forces from the Islamic State group. After defusing mines and bombs planted by ISIS, the army Syrian army marched to claeim the ancient city of Palmyra as a major victory over the jihadists. A military source told Agence France-Presse that the army is in full control of Palmyra now.

IS fighters pulled out, retreating towards the towns of Sukhnah and Deir Ezzor to the east.

For details - Syrian forces retake Palmyra | The Manila Times Online

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Yes, it's a considerable victory fo Syrian Government troops. The Russian Government has committed to giving the Assad government support to rid the area of a large number of mines which were set by the Jihadists. the United nations are also pleased that the Russians will also be helping with the restoration of important historical buildings and artifacts, that were damaged or destroyed at Palmyra which is a world heritage site.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
After they captured Palmyra Syrian forces were actually thinking of launching an offensive to capture Raqqa i heard.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
After they captured Palmyra Syrian forces were actually thinking of launching an offensive to capture Raqqa i heard.

They are gonna clear up the areas south of Palmyra and then north west of it in Homs(Strong ISIS presence there) before going being able to be in position to go after Raqqa. Most likely pushes into Deir Ezzor as well, to cut off ISIS fighters then long term operations there sort of how it occurred in Aleppo.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
Syrian Forces have made great progress what's also good about it besides the Russian backing is that the Kurdish YPG is also fighting FSA and the Islamic State. Syria's regime has even funded money to YPG for a thanks for helping the regime but capturing Raqqa is going to be a pain, a post i read said capturing Raqqa will be easier then Mosul, but i doubt it since they want more forces deployed to Raqqa then Mosul.

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
The first tourists are back to Palmyra........ and they are Russians. ;-)

palm.jpg

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I guess this is good news. I really cannot put good and war in same sentence but still. Fighting off these terrorists is good and help of Russia is obviously needed. I am glad that they retook this city which has nothing to do with this war and it is a heritage, an antic city with greater meaning. Some people couldn't care less about that but it is what it is.