Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Moscow Getting Ready for ‘Military Decisiveness’ in Idlib
Friday, 24 May, 2019

3.jpg

A general view taken with a drone shows part of Idlib city, Syria June 8, 2017. REUTERS/Ammar Abdullah/File Photo

Moscow - Raed Jaber

Moscow has launched a campaign urging civilians in Idlib to leave the city, in the wake of preparations for wide-scope military operations.

The Russian Defense Ministry announced that the Syrian regime has prepared two special crossing points to contribute to the departure of the civilian population from Idlib to reduce the escalation.

Chief of the Russian Reconciliation Center for the Opposing Sides in Syria Major General Viktor Kupchishin said that “in order to ensure the voluntary and unhindered exit of civilians from the Idlib area to reduce the escalation, two crossing points were prepared.”

Kupchishin pointed out that the militants stationed in the zone to reduce shelling have bombed during the past 24 hours up to 13 towns in the provinces of Latakia and Hama, in addition to a scientific research center in Aleppo.

This announcement was followed by a Russian military statement accusing the armed members in Idlib of launching four missiles at the Russian Hmeimim air base near Latakia.

The Russian Defense Ministry added that drones dropped five bombs on the power station in Hama, leaving no casualties.

The Russian statements on terrorists intensifying attacks concurred with a media campaign on expanding the military operations against Jabhat al-Nusra and allied factions.

Further, the Russian media reported Syrian regime sources as saying that the warning to Idlib residents won't be for a long period of time.

Sources from Hama told Sputnik on Thursday that the Syrian defense systems intercepted drones coming from regions controlled by armed terrorist groups in the countryside of Hama.

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
Operations in Hama/Idlib have begun? What is the first target? (I saw news of Russian airstrikes on Hama/Idlib, the terrorists' clock is ticking)
it's began yeah, the SAA conducted artillery shelling and even launched offensives with them capturing some small villages, strategic points over from the HTS. Russia has conducted airstrikes with Su-30SMs, Su-34s, Su-25s and recently according to most we tested the Orion UAV out with armed munitions.

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
it's began yeah, the SAA conducted artillery shelling and even launched offensives with them capturing some small villages, strategic points over from the HTS. Russia has conducted airstrikes with Su-30SMs, Su-34s, Su-25s and recently according to most we tested the Orion UAV out with armed munitions.
Is there a timeline for certain stages of the operation?

As far as I know (I haven't been keeping up with latest operations in Syria for a while) Erdogan and Putin compromised to prevent a Russian/Syrian operation in Idlib, so how has Turkey/Erdogan responded to this?

Good to see Orion-E get some combat testing too, I'm sure Russia will learn a lot about it like they did about the su-57, pantsir, tor-m1 etc.

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
Is there a timeline for certain stages of the operation?

As far as I know (I haven't been keeping up with latest operations in Syria for a while) Erdogan and Putin compromised to prevent a Russian/Syrian operation in Idlib, so how has Turkey/Erdogan responded to this?

Good to see Orion-E get some combat testing too, I'm sure Russia will learn a lot about it like they did about the su-57, pantsir, tor-m1 etc.
with Idlib there been "off and on" ops due to Turkey wanting to hold discussions with Russia, US etc. however we still are conducting airstrikes.

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
Syrian Naval forces testing the 4k44 Redut missile. these after the Bastion systems are the most advanced coastal defence systems operated by Syria
Redut.jpg

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
The Syrian Army ISIS Hunters are a new special forces unit created by Russia in 2017 for the Syria Republican Guard. we trained most at a location in Latakia, and are given the best of the equipment. we supplied them with digital floral uniforms, 6B28 Helmets, MP-443 Pistols, PKP Pechenegs, AK-103s, AGS-30s, T-5000 Sniper rifles, VSS Vintorez rifles, and RPO-As. of course some still use some older AKs. The SRG plans to field at least 1 to 2 units per governorate
ISIS Hunters.jpg

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
Isn't it a very old missile?
sure, but it still gets the job done. our naval forces still use the Redut as well, but we also have BALs, Bastion systems and have the Klub-M under development.
for Syria, coastal systems are almost required to a certain extent because their navy basically no longer exists. most of their ships are mothballed or they retired them and quitting maintaining for political reasonings

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
The Syrian Army ISIS Hunters are a new special forces unit created by Russia in 2017 for the Syria Republican Guard. we trained most at a location in Latakia, and are given the best of the equipment. we supplied them with digital floral uniforms, 6B28 Helmets, MP-443 Pistols, PKP Pechenegs, AK-103s, AGS-30s, T-5000 Sniper rifles, VSS Vintorez rifles, and RPO-As. of course some still use some older AKs. The SRG plans to field at least 1 to 2 units per governorate
Look good, hopefully they perform better in battle against ISIS than the US-trained Iraqi army did!

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
with Idlib there been "off and on" ops due to Turkey wanting to hold discussions with Russia, US etc. however we still are conducting airstrikes.
So the full operation to retake Idlib hasn't started yet, these are just preparatory warm up strikes to soften up the militants in Idlib I guess.

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
Look good, hopefully they perform better in battle against ISIS than the US-trained Iraqi army did!
the ISIS Hunters are one the better trained units in the Syrian Military, following the RG. Iraq actually started doing better following 2014, after they started receiving F-16s, CH-4 UAVs, TOS-1As etc.

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
So the full operation to retake Idlib hasn't started yet, these are just preparatory warm up strikes to soften up the militants in Idlib I guess.
basically, but as I mentioned the SAA has also retaken strategic places, villages. Turkey wants more time to move civilians, which is seen as controversial, because we gave them a deadline and since then Turkey moved in HAWK Missiles and more troops.

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
the ISIS Hunters are one the better trained units in the Syrian Military, following the RG. Iraq actually started doing better following 2014, after they started receiving F-16s, CH-4 UAVs, TOS-1As etc.
Are they separate from the Syrian Tiger Forces?

basically, but as I mentioned the SAA has also retaken strategic places, villages. Turkey wants more time to move civilians, which is seen as controversial, because we gave them a deadline and since then Turkey moved in HAWK Missiles and more troops.
Better to keep Turkey on side but they cannot be allowed to exploit Russian patience either. I am sure Russia will approach it with strategic patience as always.

Zaslon

Reactions
677 7 0
Country
Russian Federation
Are they separate from the Syrian Tiger Forces?

Better to keep Turkey on side but they cannot be allowed to exploit Russian patience either. I am sure Russia will approach it with strategic patience as always.
question 1, yes they are a completely separate force from the Tiger forces. however they have worked together of course. the ISIS Hunters are considered more a special forces then a legit militia unit, however the ISIS Hunters are growing in bulk considering Assad wants 1-2 units of these soldiers in each governorate.
as for Turkey, whether someone likes to admit it or not, Turkey is a major player in Syria that can't be ignored. but our patience with Turkey in Syria is running on fumes as to speak.

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
question 1, yes they are a completely separate force from the Tiger forces. however they have worked together of course. the ISIS Hunters are considered more a special forces then a legit militia unit, however the ISIS Hunters are growing in bulk considering Assad wants 1-2 units of these soldiers in each governorate.
as for Turkey, whether someone likes to admit it or not, Turkey is a major player in Syria that can't be ignored. but our patience with Turkey in Syria is running on fumes as to speak.
I look forward to seeing joint ops between the amazing Tiger Forces and these ISIS Hunters in Idlib and Raqqa in the near future.

Turkey indeed projected a lot of power in how quickly it moved into Northern Syria and took control of a significant amount of Syrian territory, but it's in their best interests not to get arrogant like the Israelis did.