USA
News about terrorist attack just happened in Turkey. (:-&

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Update: 5 Killed, 36 injured

Didn't a Kurdish group claim responsibility for this blast? I can't seem to find a source that confirms this claim though. Teh reuters report also only points to "suspicion" but I don't think anyone has claimed responsibility yet.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Apparently two other recent such attacks were claimed by the PKK, but it doesn't appear they have laid claim to this particular incident. From what I can find, no group has claimed responsibility for this suicide bombing as of yet, and the government seems to believe it could have been caused by either PKK or ISIS.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
This was targeting tourism industry, possibly Kurd who called off attack and accidentally killed Israeli's in the process:

'Turkish officials said that evidence suggests that the bomber may have come from Islamic State or the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK). According to the official, the suicide bomber planned to detonate in another crowded spot, but became anxious upon seeing police and triggered the bomb.'

Israeli dead, two Israelis' lives at risk after Istanbul bombing - Israel News, Ynetnews

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Five killed, 36 injured in suicide attack in central Istanbul

upload_2016-3-19_17-4-36.png

Five people were killed and 36 others were injured in a suicide bomb attack on March 19 in central Istanbul, on the busy İstiklal Avenue in Taksim.

Turkish Health Minister Mehmet Müezzinoğlu said 36 people, including 12 foreign nationals and a child, were injured, and seven of the victims in hospitals were in critical condition.

"We as a nation are unfortunately now face to face with a situation of unlimited, immeasurable acts that are inhumane, defy human values and are treacherous," Müezzinoğlu said.

In a later statement, the Health Ministry said six Israeli, one German, one Icelander, one Iranian, two Irish citizens and one Dubaian were receiving treatment at hospitals.

Doğan News Agency reported that a woman, who was injured in the attack and died at the hospital, was an Israeli citizen.

Israel's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon confirmed Israeli citizens were injured, but could not confirm the number of Israelis harmed nor what condition they were in.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on part of İstiklal Avenue, a long pedestrian street lined with global shops and foreign consulates, a few hundred meters from an area where police buses are often parked.

Two Turkish officials told Reuters evidence suggested the attacker was likely from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) or the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

One of the officials said the bomber had planned to hit a more crowded spot.

"The attacker detonated the bomb before reaching the targeted point because they were scared of the police," the official said, declining to be named because the investigation is ongoing.

The pedestrian street was completely sealed off after the attack.

Turkey's Supreme Board of Radio and Television (RTÜK) imposed a temporary ban on broadcasting pictures and video footage from the scene of the attack.

According to a statement from the board, the ban includes live broadcasts from the blast site, footage from the time the blast took place and afterwards, and showing images of bodies.

Germany, which kept its embassy in Ankara and consulate in Istanbul closed on March 17 and March 18 upon on an intelligence of a terror attack threat, warned its citizens in Istanbul after the attack to stay in their hotels and follow the media for security updates.

Skin, the lead singer of the world-renown British band Skunk Anansie, was among the witnesses of the attack.

“Massive bomb blast outside our hotel, I'm ok, very shaken, people dead, awful scenes,” the singer wrote on her official Twitter account.

The attack in Istanbul came six days after a suicide car bomb attack in the heart of the capital city of Ankara, which killed 37 people.

The attack in Ankara was claimed by the Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK), a terror group linked to the outlawed PKK.

The group described the car bombing, which occurred on March 13, as “vengeful action” for security operations against the PKK militants in town centers in the southeast that have been underway since July.

TAK previously claimed responsibility for a separate car bombing in Ankara last month that killed 29 people.

In January, a suicide bomber killed around 10 people, most of them German tourists, in Istanbul's historic heart, an attack the government blamed on ISIL.
March/19/2016
Five killed, 36 injured in suicide attack in central Istanbul - LOCAL

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
It's an unfortunate situation, however, I am not surprised that Turkey is having these problems. Turkey is in a competition with Iran for the leadership of the Arab Community, Its in a war with the Kurds, and in a war with ISIS. And all of these enemies of Turkey that I have mentioned are believed to be capable of these types of actions.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Turkey is in a competition with Iran for the leadership of the Arab Community
Turks and Iranians are not Arabs,we Turks dont want any leadership of the Arab world.
How can a non Arab country be the leader of the Arab world,does it make any sense to you?

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Turks and Iranians are not Arabs,we Turks dont want any leadership of the Arab world.
How can a non Arab country be the leader of the Arab world,does it make any sense to you?
Yes, I think I made an error it's Saudi Arabia that's in competition with Iran for the leadership of the Arab World. The problem with Turkey and Iran is that Iran backs the Kurds and Turkey is against the Kurds.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Yes, I think I made an error it's Saudi Arabia that's in competition with Iran for the leadership of the Arab World. The problem with Turkey and Iran is that Iran backs the Kurds and Turkey is against the Kurds.

The situation is more complex then you think.
Turkiye backs the KRG(Northern Iraq)Kurds current government but is against the PKK(Turkiye) PYD/YPG(Syria) Kurds.
Iran backs the opposition of the KRG government namely the PUK,the PKK(not officially) and PYD/YPG.
See,the Kurds are devided into many groups which hate each other more then they hate Turks,Arabs or Iranians.