the big debate... | World Defense

the big debate...

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well tonight here in the UK is the night, the one and only night I might add, that you'll get to watch all the leaders of all the main parties, in the same studio in a live debate. Are people interested in this form of political television, or is it a publicity stunt that won't make much of a difference as to the outcome of the election.

For anybody in europe or around the world, just how much does who the British public vote for mean to you and your country?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Debates don't really make a difference - at least where I'm from. I can say that confidently because even the lousiest candidates with the lousiest of platforms get to win important seats because of one reason: they're popular. I'm not saying voters are not intelligent in my country but they let their hearts rule more than their heads. Not to say that's not a good thing but we always get the same crappy people and the reason why they joined politics is obvious. Aside from the money, they of course want to uplift their egos.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to think that most politicians stand in the first place for the right reasons. They want to make a difference and represent the people that I've voted for them. Sadly, i think in most countries now, a lot of candidates are doing it more as a way to get their 15 minutes of fame.

All they seem worried about is feathering their own nests, and making a name for themselves in the process. Gone are the days when the person you voted for actually lives in your constituency, all too often your voting for somebody who isn't in touch with the real world.

One interesting thing that came out last night is that of all the main parties, only one leader as ever had a real job, outside of politics. So how can somebody who has never worked and is out of touch with the people of Britain, actually stand and represent them?

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
"For anybody in europe or around the world, just how much does who the British public vote for mean to you and your country?"

Read more: the big debate... | World Defense

As far as I'm concerned, the outcome of elections in countries that are allied with us should be very important to people in my country. For example, if an ally elects a leader who is juxtaposed to our form of government, it doesn't bode well for our future relations. When Scotland was trying to secede from the UK, I watched with bated breath. Foreign affairs really should matter to everyone.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't agree more. Like you say, its important to know what's going on around the world, and even more so when it involves countries that you have ties with. Having said that, i think the bond between the UK and the US will always be close no matter who the government is. For one thing, I think the 2 countries know too much about each other, secrets etc to risk falling out, for want of a better expression.