The future of warfare. | World Defense

The future of warfare.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Where do you see war going In the future. Do you see mainly drone or automated military tactics or could we see the deployment of the armed forces in war ridden countries? With a lot of countries having nuclear weapons could we see the end of all land based fighting all together?

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
There will always be a need for "boots on the ground" I think. Those boots might be robot boots one day, but for now - invasion requires a massive military presence. I think technology will have a major impact on how war is fought, and focus on minimizing human casualties and improving the effectiveness of missions. It's definitely an interesting time to be alive though, and get to see how war will change.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think drones will be widely used in the future. I mean sure, soldiers will still be used but drones can significantly reduce the risk to soldiers. I;m not just speaking aerial drones, but full on mechanized drones being used on the frontline on the ground.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Let me just enumerate my predictions:
1. Drone technology will be in full swing, expanding to naval and ground warfare.
2. Android fighters might replace actual foot soldiers (expect Japan to spearhead this project).
3. Tanks will be sturdier yet 10 times lighter than they currently are.
4. Psy wars will be commonplace, so it's no longer just about brawns this time.
5. Biological and chemical warfare will also take center stage.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
Thinking about war in the future makes me feel sad and depressed. It sounds scary.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
The future of wars will be fought with drones, with only the necessary people going to war to operate archaic designs (tanks, among them) - to limit loss of life.

Scarier to think though is we stop manned warfare entirely, and go either biological or chemical. NOW THAT, is scary.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
Scarier to think though is we stop manned warfare entirely, and go either biological or chemical. NOW THAT, is scary.

Completely possible - although it may reach nuclear level and end in mutual assured destruction for everyone. That wouldn't be good.

Ie "We made an awesomely effective virus with a 99% death rate.... and its spreading!"

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
I always assumed MAD would happen, one day or another. But before MAD can happen (cold wars because nobody wants to fire a damn thing) seem to have sealed that up.

So to me, Biological or Chemical warfare just seems to be the next step. Maybe Biochemical, or Chemological. I could see people easily mixing them for a new breed of horror.

pcgamer

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
India
If there is going to be another full-scaled war, everything on this earth would come to an end for good. That's why we haven't seen many full-scale wars after countries tarted developing nukes as a deterrent. I don't think anyone wold risk to lose the entire population and progress they have made over they years, so possibility of a full-scale war is almost nil.

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I can see the future of warfare as a battle of cyber attacks, super weapons, and drones. Cyber space is already a part of the world and it is something that can be used for attacks on a country because most are running on computers now, especially well-developed nations. Super weapons, like nuclear missiles, are secret weapons of some countries that they can readily use in case of a war, and most are having arguments in the present regarding the possession of these weapons by certain countries. Drones are becoming a go-to weapon when countries want to bomb or obliterate a certain area. These drones can be devastating, especially when more advanced ones are designed that have more military features.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
Obviously drones and robots will have a bigger presence. But more so I think we will see less war. When was the last time an country actually invaded another country? I think it was the Russian invasion of Georgia in 2008. We have rebels fighting in Ukraine, supplied by Russia. We have Kurds fighting ISIS, supplied and trained by the US and Europe. And reading this thread it's not hard to see why. Drones, biological warfare. It seems invading a country in the future will result in mutually assured destruction. I think we will see more insurgent, guerilla, and covert operations.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I think it's going to be drones for the most part, with a few soldiers thrown in here and there. I can see warfare eventually being responsible for a ton of innocent civilian lives... and not very many soldiers.

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
On the front lines, especially when one side isn't as technologically advanced as the other, I see proxy wars being a thing--where operatives are sitting on a chair and fiddling on a console miles away from the battlefield to control automated drones.

If the powers at war are equal technologically, first strike capabilities become very important. ICBMs will fly before planes do.

Air superiority is still key. Supercarriers will be vital in projecting the US's power across continents.