The Navy Just ‘Lost’ 9 Ships From The Fleet | World Defense

The Navy Just ‘Lost’ 9 Ships From The Fleet

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
The Navy lost nine ships from its total count, dropping from 284 to 275 on March 2 due to political maneuvers in Congress.

Last year, in March, the Navy boosted its count from 283 ships to 290. This prompted Congress to include language in the 2015 National Defense Authorization Act to the effect that the Navy must return to its old methodology of classifying what makes a ship part of the fleet, which is what accounts for the recent drop to only 275 ships, Defense News reports.

“Ship counting changes reflect direction outlined in the 2015 act,” Navy spokesman Lt. Rob Myers stated on March 6, 2015, according to Defense News. “The change in the numbers does not reflect an actual change in our ship inventory; rather, what has changed is the counting methodology, which excludes certain ships such as patrol coastal ships and hospital ships. Despite these changes, we affirm our commitment to reaching over 300 ships by the early 2020s and this is reinforced by ship procurement in our 2016 budget submission.”
ussindependence-e1426000647835.jpg

Source: The Navy Just 'Lost' 9 Ships From The Fleet | The Daily Caller

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
The military in general, and the Department of the Navy in particular, are being slashed to the bone here in the States. The present administration prefers dumping huge loads of cash on social programs instead. New, lower cost armaments like lasers are beginning to be implemented.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
The military in general, and the Department of the Navy in particular, are being slashed to the bone here in the States. The present administration prefers dumping huge loads of cash on social programs instead. New, lower cost armaments like lasers are beginning to be implemented.
The lasers seem like a really good idea at first, but if you have seen the video of them being used, they are pretty ineffective after a pretty small range.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
The lasers seem like a really good idea at first, but if you have seen the video of them being used, they are pretty ineffective after a pretty small range.

Agreed. Cool idea and it has some limited application. As a general purpose replacement for missile systems and cannons, not so much so.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Agreed. Cool idea and it has some limited application. As a general purpose replacement for missile systems and cannons, not so much so.
I think the idea to use them to detonate already existing explosives on board an enemy ship.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
It is true that the defense budget is starting to be slashed. The social spending is going up and the Democrats, who boo God are cheering. What will they say when a country like Ecuador comes in and conquers the United States because of the budget slashing.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I'm a democrat and I have never booed God. As a matter of fact, that is the same God who said we should help the poor... hence the social spending. According to the bible, God would boo all the people who don't want to help the poor. I don't think he cared too much for lasers, either. I seem to recall him being OPPOSED to violence. I'm also one of those odd ball democrats who could quote the bible to you regarding helping the less fortunate. However, I won't. What I will say, though, is its absolutely ridiculous to present a hypothetical scenario where Ecuador or any other nation comes in and takes over. I very much believe we need a powerful military in order to protect the millions of citizens our conservatives are trying to starve to death. I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't believe in a strong military. However, if some of the money is allocated somewhereother than the military it isn't like they are going to go bankrupt. They are still going to get plenty of money. We will continue to be a super power for a very long time and our military will continue to grow and advance. If we give EVERYTHING to the military, there won't be anyone left to protect.

Last edited: