the odds of the US coming up a winner in a modern war are perhaps as low as one in seven | World Defense

the odds of the US coming up a winner in a modern war are perhaps as low as one in seven

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
As the current war in Afghanistan, Iraq and now with ISIS shows victory for the US military is becoming ever more elusive. The problem is USA is still caught in a WW2 type of thinking. The first cracks in their military strategy became evident in the Korean war, this was reconfirmed in Vietnam and now the latest conflicts.

The US in Afghanistan have not managed to win a conclusive victory because of their out moded forms of thinking. This expert believes that in a modern conflict, USA despite its massive fire power, only has a 1 in 7 chance of winning any war.

Are Americans&[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG]; ideas about war stuck in WWII ? – Mark Kukis – Aeon

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
This could be true if I think about it. They strategy are quite antiquate and they relay to old and odd , nowdays, movements and tactics. Also, despite their well armed forces they are also too confident on winning and this is a realt threat to what could be a future war.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The odds of U.S winning a modern war should they engage in conventional warfare are low. But who'll want to fight "with honor" when they know their enemies don't intend to? Nukes were built for a reason and they'll be used in war.

Fact is should the U.S declare war on a country then weapons of mass destruction will be used. So much as the they might not win that war, the other side won't win either. Pyrrhic victory — who wants that unless it's absolutely necessary?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
The odds of U.S winning a modern war should they engage in conventional warfare are low. But who'll want to fight "with honor" when they know their enemies don't intend to? Nukes were built for a reason and they'll be used in war.

Fact is should the U.S declare war on a country then weapons of mass destruction will be used. So much as the they might not win that war, the other side won't win either. Pyrrhic victory — who wants that unless it's absolutely necessary?
Russia would be okay with it... Necessary or not.

Do you really think war means nukes? I know I shouldn't give the world leaders this much credit, but it seems like maybe they could set some ground rules before hand. (Kindof like the socs and the greasers). Humans are barbaric and they need war every now and again to get some of those frustrations out. As a matter of fact, I think the only thing in history that no one debates is that war has been around since the very begining. If war is inevitable then they need to discuss the do's and don'ts before its too late.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Russia would be okay with it... Necessary or not.

If war is inevitable then they need to discuss the do's and don'ts before its too late.
The dos and don'ts are inked somewhere I believe.

It's against international law to massacre civilians in war. The U.S and Israel do that all the time and get away with it.

The use of chemical weapons in warfare was prohibited a long time ago but they are still being used even now [in Syria] because the international community doesn't have the power to force any nation to keep the terms of the treaty.

War brings out the worst in people. They'll do anything to win. All is fair in war . . . after all.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
If someone can't play by the rules then people shouldn't play with them anymore. It seems like there are only 2 possible ways to make someone stick to the terms in the treaty, or the terms drawn up in the Geneva convention. 1 way is all out war. Or 2, an all out embargo. Personally, I don't like the sound of either one.

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
We can't win a war anymore because of the idiots in D.C. who are "running" the country (into the ground). I believe in our military people and their spirit; they LOVE this country and everything she (used to) stand for. It's the politicians who are ruining any chances for us to win at anything anymore. They'll either sell us out to corporate interests or the Sauds (Hillary's slush funds).

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
We can't win a war anymore because of the idiots in D.C. who are "running" the country (into the ground). I believe in our military people and their spirit; they LOVE this country and everything she (used to) stand for. It's the politicians who are ruining any chances for us to win at anything anymore. They'll either sell us out to corporate interests or the Sauds (Hillary's slush funds).
They have tried stealing Sioux land for the keystone pipeline. The chief of tThey tried to sell Apache land, (specifically the site of a very bloody death for a lot of apache), to Australian businessmen so the congressmen could get the money, and the Aussies can get the copper in the land

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
The willingness of many other countries to be ruthlessly brutal may be a big factor here I personally don't think the U.S. will remain a superpower much longer either, so that's a huge factor as well.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
We are more like the class clown now. We left are "bully" and "valedictorian" roles a while back. Yes, we still have a lot of guns. But everybody else is watching and wondering when are dumb arses going to shoot themselves in the arse, or foot, or eye...

pcgamer

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
India
The more US tries to keep it under control. the worse it gets. India is certainly benefiting from this as US is looking for someone to counter China. No one will emerge victorious here.

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
They have tried stealing Sioux land for the keystone pipeline. The chief of tThey tried to sell Apache land, (specifically the site of a very bloody death for a lot of apache), to Australian businessmen so the congressmen could get the money, and the Aussies can get the copper in the land
And what does this have to do with the price of beans???

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well the US army is guilty at times for being arrogant by thinking they will win every confrontation they take part in. The US army is not invincible and they have not really been tested by a strong army since world war 2 and so I don't know how they would perform in such a confrontation.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
And what does this have to do with the price of beans???
It's what I thought of when you wrote "selling us out to corporate interests".
I was kind of hoping to illustrate how far those supposed "humans" will go to sell out anyone they can make a profit off of
Well the US army is guilty at times for being arrogant by thinking they will win every confrontation they take part in. The US army is not invincible and they have not really been tested by a strong army since world war 2 and so I don't know how they would perform in such a confrontation.
I think that confidence is very necessary if they are going head first into danger and risk their lives for the country and for all the people. They don't get paid nearly enough for putting their life on the line every single day. They don't get as much appreciation as the deserve. I'll let them be as confident as they want to be. Sometimes that confidence is the only thin you have to get you thru the really tough spots.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
If the US army were to go outside of the Geneva convention and attack like the terrorist do it would be s no brainer who would win. However, the army follows an accepted standard of warfare and that will be the downfall of the army.