The peace of China | World Defense

The peace of China

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I do feel that the Chinese will end up being just like the USA. They are not going to be a World War II Japan. They might stir up some trouble here and there but nothing that would invoke a major war. The USA is that way to me. We don't have imperial desire. We try and serve our best interests but we don't as a country desire to harm others. I don't see China's rise as being a threat. If North Korea was rising, I would be very concerned. If there was a major radical Islamic country rising, I would be concerned. I have been to China and I see them heading our direction. They are looking for the luxury of life and fighting wars will hold them back from that.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
I have always believed that china is a peaceful nation. I respect their culture of respect. I heard in our local news that some Chinese had been caught trying to hack into a computer network of an organization. They are being held at the moment. This was an eye opener that there are black sheep everywhere.That said it does not reflect the behavior of the entire china.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
I believe that China is aiming to be the sole regional power in their backyard, but that their aims are primarily of stability. However, the process of becoming a regional power means stepping on the toes of neighbors. It is those neighbors who are on edge about China's growing influence.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I do feel that the Chinese will end up being just like the USA. They are not going to be a World War II Japan. They might stir up some trouble here and there but nothing that would invoke a major war. The USA is that way to me. We don't have imperial desire. We try and serve our best interests but we don't as a country desire to harm others. I don't see China's rise as being a threat. If North Korea was rising, I would be very concerned. If there was a major radical Islamic country rising, I would be concerned. I have been to China and I see them heading our direction. They are looking for the luxury of life and fighting wars will hold them back from that.

I don't think that the Chinese government is only after the luxury of life. More than that, they want dominance and superiority over the all the countries in the world. They want power. There are countries in Europe that in terms of military measure aren't that powerful, but most of their citizens are experiencing a luxurious life. Those countries have the lowest rates of poverty and famine. Almost none and in fact most, if not all, are able to get anything whatever they want without having to work too much to the point that they would have to exhaust themselves. In those countries also, the crime rates are low. So once could say that those countries are peaceful. Simple enough to see that they're government instead to focus on strengthening their military prowess and arsenal, they work hard to provide the highest quality of life possible to all its citizens. Take Luxembourg for example.

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
China is being smart, at the current time they don´t have the manufacturing or tech to impose their will on anyone but their smaller neighbors. The USA can, and they can do it by buying weapons from their own companies. If China wanted to really be imperialistic, they would have to send a lot of money overseas. It is better and cheaper to dominate economically, especially if you do not have the tech to do it in-country militarily

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
China has too many internal problems to worry about which they have to solve. News within China is still censored, but despite that news kf over 10,000 strikes or protests per year.

In order to become part of the global economy, China has to allow its citizens things like cell phone communications and internet access. This makes it harder for China to censor news events and problems.

There is also a great deal of income disparity in China with the coastal regions being much richer then the interior regions. The Chinese government is working on this problem, but it takes time.

The Chinese government is too worried about its domestic problems to be much of a threat.

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
China has many problems on its own land. The people are not happy, and they don't have the same rights as Americans. Keep in mind that China had a law where adults could only have one child in attempt to control the population. China is the leading country of pollution, and they have a very high population. Bad water, bad air, bad soil, and a hell of a lot of citizens is not a good mix. In all, the Chinese government is trying so hard to keep its population in check that they're oppressing their people, which has stirred up more than enough controversy. The Chinese government is also trying so hard to keep their economy strong, that they're ignoring many other issues that need fixing.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Its the fact that China has so many problems of their own that worries me. They are rising, and rising fast despite all their problems. What concerns me is what happens when one of those problems becomes too large to contain. If China breaks out in Civil War there will be economic problems all over the world. All that cheap labor that China offers will vanish.

Bread

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
Internal problems never kept countries from reaching out and being hostile. They can even use this, but yes, I think that they want to get more space and eliminate the fish industry competition. The lives of Chinese citizens are not good by any means, they're poverty stricken. Getting the whole of the South China Sea can help better their economy, but of course, the other countries would never let them have it so easily.

Even if you say they're peaceful, they have their own agendas and will have to do something to get to it, even if it means stepping on their neighbor's faces.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Like the US, China will do things that are in their interests. It's not in their interests to be warmongers or fall out with a lot of countries. But they do want to defend geographic interests as well, and this is where the conflicts can pop up - making claims on islands that other countries have claims on. There has already been tensions with Japan, the Philippines and Vietnam about this.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
China like many other countries desires to be the most powerful nation on the planet. When you have such power, you can take whatever you want, anytime you want without seeking the permission of others. The U.S had done that many times: attack Iraq, steal their oil, etc, etc. The only thing that would tip the balance of power from the West to the East is war. China knows this. So while they build up their military might they'll pretend that they are a peaceful nation. But once they are strong enough . . . then they'll drop that facade and show their true colors.