The pope's rifle. A rifle from the papal army. | World Defense

The pope's rifle. A rifle from the papal army.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
A unique rifle that was commisioned by the pope for his papal armies. This is when the pope still had armies. It is modeled after the M1867 Remmington rifle which was a military rifle.

Papal01.jpg

The keys of St Peter stamped on the rifle.

Papal23.jpg

Source of images and more information on this unique rifle here.

Pontificio

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
What a great piece of history you post here orangesunset, I had no idea that the pope had an army once, I am guessing that it's something really ancient. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
So now the Pope no longer has army? I don't think that they are really going to be needing given that they are located in the middle of the Italy. I don't think that before terrorist can attack them, they could just simply pass the armies of the Italy or breach its security. Of course Italy will always protect the Vatican State.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
OK, now I had to use Google, interesting piece here. The army existed between 700 and 1800 when the world was a permanent war.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
So now the Pope no longer has army? I don't think that they are really going to be needing given that they are located in the middle of the Italy. I don't think that before terrorist can attack them, they could just simply pass the armies of the Italy or breach its security. Of course Italy will always protect the Vatican State.

Technically he still does. They are the handful of Swiss Guards, the guys that wear the old fashioned uniforms, they wear the same uniforms as a Swiss Pikeman several hundred years ago. Actually the states of Italy where at war with the Vatican, this was when the Church had lands that existed outside the Vatican.

But in modern times, I don't think the Vatican is at threat. The Catholic Church no longer directly involves itself in politics anymore.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
The Guardia Svizzera, tagged as one of the most elite army units in the world, served the courts and a number of aristocratic households for centuries prior to serving the papacy. The pope doesn't need an army. He does need security so the Swiss Guards ensure no one harms him in any way.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
So now the Pope no longer has army?
The Vatican has a secret army that's probably more powerful than anything you've seen in the world. Call it a conspiracy theory but fact is:

The Society of Jesus, founded in 1540 by Ignatius of Loyola — a former Spanish soldier — is sometimes depicted as an “army of shadows”.

Conspiracy theorists say the order controls everything from the Vatican’s governing body, to the United Nations and the US banking system.
Though it may sound like the stuff of fiction, the allegations have some grain of truth in them. Do some research and draw your own conclusions.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
The Vatican has a secret army that's probably more powerful than anything you've seen in the world. Call it a conspiracy theory but fact is:

Though it may sound like the stuff of fiction, the allegations have some grain of truth in them. Do some research and draw your own conclusions.

The Knights of Malta where part of the Templars who where the elite knights of the pope. They where originally formed during the crusades, and thier main base was on the island of Rhodes. When they where driven out of Rhodes by the Muslims, they where given Malta as a new base. Technically speaking, the Knights of Malta governed the Island till it was conquered by Napoleon.

Many modern organizations originally where based on military organizations.

Knights Hospitaller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
That is a very interesting rifle. I knew the Pope used to have an army. However, as far as still having a current army, I think that is a mistake. The Society of Jesus is not an army nor is it a military wing. Next thing you know, you will be saying the Knights of Columbus is a military organization bent on domination.

mikka254

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Kenya
It's fascinating that the pope used to take part in wars. I mean the gun even had a crest and before that it was swords and all in the name of religion.

Pinoy Jade

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
that is something unique, a vintage gun with great design that makes us be reminded of the history wherein war occurred before. I did not know Pope has gun