The Trouble with Street Harassment videos, hijab or no hijab | World Defense

The Trouble with Street Harassment videos, hijab or no hijab

KSA

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
five hours in “casual” clothing, and five hours in a hijab.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
That is the nature of men, they can't hold it. I think women should consider modesty in what they wear in order to avoid such thing from happing. Just an opinion.*-*

soconfused

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I don't know if I fully agree with the message of that video. Its taking the blame of harassment off of women and telling women if they change THEMSELVES they wont be harassed. Isn't this totally wrong? Where's the accountability for men?

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I don't know if I fully agree with the message of that video. Its taking the blame of harassment off of women and telling women if they change THEMSELVES they wont be harassed. Isn't this totally wrong? Where's the accountability for men?

Dam true, what would the solution be in your point of view. I think men should lower their gaze and stop thinking of women as a sexual object.

mikeqin

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Whether it’s catcalling or shaming for not wearing hijab the underlying issue is the same. Far too much of an emphasis is put on the way women dress, and not on the attitudes of the men attacking them for their appearance.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
five hours in “casual” clothing, and five hours in a hijab.

This is a good video showing how much men like to look at women for all the wrong reasons, The hijab is wore so that men would not be as tempted sexually. I think it's important for women to be less revealing in public.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
While it may be easy enough to blame a variety of things as biological flaws, social and cultural conditioning have a lot to do with the way men treat women. The answer is not to revert to extreme conservatism, but to accept, identify and deal with social problems.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
I think it's very much a social thing. When men are brought up in a culture where making a pass at a woman is considered a man thing to do, that's what men will do. I do not blame the men or the women. What I think is the right thing to do is to re-examine our cultural values with regards to relations between men and women. No, I don't expect any overnight change. But if we start now, with our own children, perhaps in another three generations, we may see a difference.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
While it may be easy enough to blame a variety of things as biological flaws, social and cultural conditioning have a lot to do with the way men treat women. The answer is not to revert to extreme conservatism, but to accept, identify and deal with social problems.
I definitely don't agree with extreme conservatism, but I do agree with women and society as a whole to tone it down a bit at least in public. Children walk around in public and it's just not a good image for them.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
I definitely don't agree with extreme conservatism, but I do agree with women and society as a whole to tone it down a bit at least in public. Children walk around in public and it's just not a good image for them.

Do you mean that as a suggestion or a public decency law? Either way, you have to define clear cut reasons for why it is bad. This is the point where most people claim that it is against their "culture", "religious beliefs" and so on. What you define as provocative is subjective, in some countries, a woman showing any amount of skin is considered to be provocative.

Almost everyone seems to confuse the idea of allowing something with
a) It suddenly becoming widespread.
b) They themselves being forced to do it.

In my opinion, this is a tricky road to go down. Applying any sort of moral standard to society in general, usually leads to people going out of their way to break it. It is much easier to let women wear what they want and simply tell your children that the adult human body looks that way and there's nothing embarrassing or sexual about it. Just like a kitchen knife isn't automatically a murder weapon.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
Do you mean that as a suggestion or a public decency law? Either way, you have to define clear cut reasons for why it is bad. This is the point where most people claim that it is against their "culture", "religious beliefs" and so on. What you define as provocative is subjective, in some countries, a woman showing any amount of skin is considered to be provocative.

Almost everyone seems to confuse the idea of allowing something with
a) It suddenly becoming widespread.
b) They themselves being forced to do it.

In my opinion, this is a tricky road to go down. Applying any sort of moral standard to society in general, usually leads to people going out of their way to break it. It is much easier to let women wear what they want and simply tell your children that the adult human body looks that way and there's nothing embarrassing or sexual about it. Just like a kitchen knife isn't automatically a murder weapon.
That's a great point and since society has already corrupted us especially here in the US, it wouldn't make any sense to make up any laws regulating what we should and shouldn't wear, now I think we as a whole do a bad job educating our young about sex, and that's were the problems begin.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom

Well said! I couldn't agree more with this.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
I think we as a whole do a bad job educating our young about sex, and that's were the problems begin.

Very true. We are teaching our children a very mixed and confusing set of ideas about sex. At one point, we talk about the virtues of modesty. Then we tell the girls that being attractive to boys is a smart idea. We talk about being gentlemanly and being chivalrous. Then we tell the boys that boys have to be manly ie aggresive to get a girl.

Sarz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't agree with the message that this video is putting out there. First of all the girl had jeans a t-shirt and a cardigan on. Hardly provocative or sexy, it wasn't as if she had dressed for attention. I think if you dress like a slut then you should expect attention but I also think it doesn't give people the right to harass you and that it is your choice how you choose to dress and however you decide to dress should not dictate how you are treated by others.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It is much easier to let women wear what they want and simply tell your children that the adult human body looks that way and there's nothing embarrassing or sexual about it. Just like a kitchen knife isn't automatically a murder weapon.

Excellent point. Bodies are just bodies and it is only society that gives them a sexual connotation. More education is needed all round.