The US sets military options to counter Russia and China in Venezuela. | World Defense

The US sets military options to counter Russia and China in Venezuela.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

The Pentagon says military options are being considered to kick Russia Cuba and China out of Venezuela according to a defense official familiar with the effort.

The deterrence options are being ordered following a White House meeting last week where national security adviser John Bolton told acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan to develop ideas on the Venezuela crisis.

The official emphasized strongly that the initial work is being done by the Pentagon's Joint Staff, which conducts planning for future military operations along with the Southern Command, which oversees any US military involvement in the southern hemisphere.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

View attachment 6987

The Pentagon says military options are being considered to kick Russia Cuba and China out of Venezuela according to a defense official familiar with the effort.

The deterrence options are being ordered following a White House meeting last week where national security adviser John Bolton told acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan to develop ideas on the Venezuela crisis.

The official emphasized strongly that the initial work is being done by the Pentagon's Joint Staff, which conducts planning for future military operations along with the Southern Command, which oversees any US military involvement in the southern hemisphere.
Kindly, always post a link to the OP.

Thanks

Jagdkommando

Reactions
151 0 0
Country
Austria
an intervention would be nice against a madman such as Maduro. already there is defection in the army of Venezuela. people are fleeing to Colombia, Brazil to get food and support.

The only reasons why the Russians & Chinese are there is because for one, the two have a stepping stone behind the US and can influence the region incredibly, China has a free supply of oil from Venezuela and Russia has a buyer of weapons in the area.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
an intervention would be nice against a madman such as Maduro. already there is defection in the army of Venezuela. people are fleeing to Colombia, Brazil to get food and support.

The only reasons why the Russians & Chinese are there is because for one, the two have a stepping stone behind the US and can influence the region incredibly, China has a free supply of oil from Venezuela and Russia has a buyer of weapons in the area.

A military intervention is unlikely to happen. Russia and China must have already deployed troops there and who knows maybe defense system too.

Jagdkommando

Reactions
151 0 0
Country
Austria
A military intervention is unlikely to happen. Russia and China must have already deployed troops there and who knows maybe defense system too.

intervention I highly doubt, I agree with you. however I see Colombia, Brazil, the US and a few others arming an opposition (similar to that of Syria) to overthrow Maduro and his forces. as far as I know Putin has only deployed some Mercs & basic soldiers into Venezuela but no actually jets or systems yet. but it would not be surprising considering Putin does not want to lose interest in his only ally in the region.
what kind of makes me irritated is Venezuela is been all over the news, but Nicaragua is also having issues similar that of Venezuela but I believe the Nicaraguans actually fired live rounds at their protestors.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
intervention I highly doubt, I agree with you. however I see Colombia, Brazil, the US and a few others arming an opposition (similar to that of Syria) to overthrow Maduro and his forces. as far as I know Putin has only deployed some Mercs & basic soldiers into Venezuela but no actually jets or systems yet. but it would not be surprising considering Putin does not want to lose interest in his only ally in the region.
what kind of makes me irritated is Venezuela is been all over the news, but Nicaragua is also having issues similar that of Venezuela but I believe the Nicaraguans actually fired live rounds at their protestors.

Arming the opposition will turn Venezuela into a civil war Syrian style. Russia did read that and thats why it took a proactive step to prevent such thing from happening. Arming the opposition without air support will lead to nothing and the US knows that as well as Russia and China.

When it comes to Nicaraguans, its media selectivity and bias no surprising here + Nicaraguans has no oil.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
an armed opposition in Venezuela would be completely futile considering a majority of the army is still loyal to Maduro and there has not really been any significant defection. remember last year, a group of protestors stormed a Venezuelan National Guard outpost and were quickly defeated and pushed back.
comparing the arming of Venezuelan opposition to that of Syria's is completely different. when Syria's conflict first started a group from a mechanized division fled to Turkey taking armored vehicles and tanks. In Venezuela literally no govt. soldiers defected.

the other reason why a civil war in Venezuela would be bad is because of how it would become a Syria 2.0 quickly and the Russians basically already have it secured (notice how they intervened quickly compared to when they intervened in Syria) and that is because Venezuela literally is a back door for them to violated Amerikan airspace and gives them more stepping stones to counter the Amerikan influence in the hemisphere.
China is not really "directly" involved, however I see China supplying the Venezuelans weapons & vehicles in case of an uprising/civil war so they do not lose their free oil supplier.