Thirty women to run in Saudi municipal vote | World Defense

Thirty women to run in Saudi municipal vote

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
12750029-f7cc-4d64-bb8e-24d10cf170d3_16x9_600x338.jpg

The next municipal council elections are expected to have at least 30 women candidates, though they have not been named. (Illustrative photo: Shutterstock)

Saudi Gazette, Riyadh
Monday, 23 February 2015

The next municipal council elections are expected to have at least 30 women candidates standing for seats all over the Kingdom, the Makkah daily reported.

The general coordinator of the Baladi Initiative, which trains women to be decision makers through seminars and workshops, said these candidates are ready to stand for the elections.

Hatoon Ajwad Al-Fasi said: “We currently have the Alwaleed Bin Talal Foundation and the Arab Urban Development Institute as partners and we are trying to reach out to the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs.”

She added the workshops and training for the elections and general affairs were offered from August 2013 until May 2014.

“We had 365 participants who were educated on local councils and general affairs.

“Judging by the number of participants, we can say Saudi women from various cultural background and ages are willing and prepared to be candidates or organizers and coordinators in the elections.”

She also added the Baladi Initiative is willing to accept any woman with the “drive and desire” to serve her community.

“We are currently focusing on training the 30 candidates for the elections and organizing committees.

“Although we are not the only ones offering training sessions for women, we do always aim to bring women into their own societies and have them among the decision makers to improve their societies.”

This article was first published in the Saudi Gazette on February 23, 2015.

Last Update: Monday, 23 February 2015 KSA 13:53 - GMT 10:53
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/features/2015/02/23/Thirty-women-to-run-in-Saudi-municipal-vote.html

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This is encouraging news! Maybe one day these women will be able to drive to the election by themselves! I've read opinions that state that this freedom has only been granted as a means of calming dissent, rather than equality reasons and I'd be interested to know whether King Salman plans to further the cause for equal rights.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Well it is interesting women are being given opportunities and not just stay home and be a slave to the man of the house and doe what he says hope they get to do more things. I hope they get more rights and do well as in that country usually the men do the work out of the house and in governments and women are not allowed to do that sort of work. I reckon time has changed need to give them rights too and do more for the community instead of staying home and not doing anything for the place they live.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Running for an election is one thing, winning a whole 'nother beast. I doubt that many of them will be elected but positive thing about it is, Saudi Arabia is beginning to embrace change. Nothing happens overnight though, those women ought to remember that.