Top Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Luz says will no longer draw prophet | World Defense

Top Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Luz says will no longer draw prophet

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Top Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Luz says will no longer draw prophet

File photo: Charlie Hebdo cartoonist, Renald Luzier — AP

Cartoonist Luz, who drew Charlie Hebdo’s front cover picture of the Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) following the massacre of the satirical weekly’s editorial team by militants in January, has told a French magazine he will no longer draw the prophet.

“I will no longer draw the figure of Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him). It no longer interests me,” he told Les Inrockuptibles magazine in an interview published on Wednesday.

“I’m not going to spend my life drawing (cartoons of Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him)).”

Luz’s cover image in January portrayed Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) with a sign saying “Je Suis Charlie” under the words “All is forgiven.”

The issue came out a week after the attack by militants on the magazine’s office left 12 dead. It had a print run of eight million - a record for the French press.

“The terrorists did not win,” Luz told Les Inrockuptibles.

“They will have won if the whole of France continues to be scared,” he added, accusing the far-right National Front of trying to stir up fear in the wake of the attacks. — Al Arabiya

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
I would have liked for him to state his reasons for no longer wanting to draw the prophet. I would imagine that there is a feeling of guilt on his part that so many people died because some terrorists took offence with a cartoon. I do feel sorry for him, I can't imagine being in this position.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
Interesting. I don't know that he needs to state more reason than this -- I mean, their goal before looked to be provokation rather than real inspired satire, and that turned out poorly, yes. But I think he probably figured out that, regardless of freedom of speech or not, he did not have something relevant to say anyway. He provoked, and he forgave; circle closed and all, sort of makes sense to let it go.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Much as they say the terrorists didn't win, the cartoonist probably feels guilty that people had to die for their arrogance. While I'm all for freedom of speech I believe that when that freedom crosses the line then you relinquish your rights. It's a good decision [the cartoonist made] and I hope that others learn something from his humility.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
If he feels responsible for those people's death, humility is probably the last thing on his mind. I feel horrible for him. That's a lot of weight on anybody's shoulder.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I do detect a lot of arrogance here. Although Hebdo did not deserve what happened, they must have realised that the cartoons would not go down well at all. To say that he's decided to stop drawing the Prophet because "it no longer interests" him seems quite unfeeling when you consider everything that's happened since.

Last edited:

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I don't know why they were doing it in the first place and giving these terrorist publicity. Ignore them and their beliefs and leave them to time. Killing people over drawings and are supposedly insulting just speaks about the mental space of these people.