Turkey and Saudi Arabia joint military operation in Syria | World Defense

Turkey and Saudi Arabia joint military operation in Syria

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
News are circling in social media about Saudi Arabia and Turkey launching military operation against Assad and his allies in Syria.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
News are circling in social media about Saudi Arabia and Turkey launching military operation against Assad and his allies in Syria.
I want to see this happening but i doubt its true.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
What is this news about - a military cooperation of Turkey and Saudi Arabia? Is this related to the downing of the Russian plane by the Turkish air force? I hope the issue will be focused on Syria and the ISIS. And that fighting in Syria is not used for political purposes of meddling countries like Russia and US. But if this is true then I am glad that a joint force of Turkey and Saudi is aimed at, wait, Assad is the president of Syria? Where is the ISIS now in this scene?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
@Scorpion @T-123456

Honestly, I have heard these scenarios a million times over the past year. I doubt there is any concrete plan. The Turkish PM however stated it would anti-terror operation done by Turkey, Saudi, other countries and supported by 'regional powers'. I'm not sure what this means, it could mean other Muslim nations or could mean Iran, Assad, etc....

And then it is not likely any ground troops will be deployed unless Turkey is willing to do it alone. So my guess would be they will support somebody on the ground from the rebels to fight ISIS/Kurds to East and then make that area safe zone for opposition and the civilians in the areas controlled by opposition. But if that was the case I doubt it has anybody's support since it is risk of war with Russia, if the Turkey/SA retake the areas in Aleppo completely it will definitely cause clashes inside Syria. But it won't be any worse than that. You guys won't believe it, but if Muslims start showing some gut people really fear us. They fear a small group of bandit ISIS fanatics, then two nations that are becoming more flexible in the region will terrify Russia or anyone else and they may well not do anything. I have always argued that Turkey and SA need to assume power in the region because they are two countries which have most popular support. By that I mean, Turkey represents MB sympathizers, SA represents religious non-MB Sunni Muslim camp(which you could say Salafi) hence them cooperating can only bring major benefits and have popular support from religious camp.

What scares me is the non-religious camp. I guarantee you SA and Turkey don't have fear of Russia or even Western say on this matter. They are worried about Muslim/local response to this. If they go ahead and do operation, and God forbid more dangerous war erupts as a result, they don't know if Muslims will assist them or if the people can mentally/spirtually sustain a difficult war. Two possible endgames here:

1. This gets support, fires up Muslims in the region and scares anybody from opposing the move.

2. The non religous Muslims get scared, Egypt, UAE , Jordan and others take Russia's side and isolate SA/Turkey, some people try taking advantage of situation to use it against the SA/Turkey governments and do 'popular uprising' or coup style thing.

So I hate to say this brothers but we are not ready for this yet. The religious camp is but today that camp is minority among Muslims in the region. Don't misunderstand me , I don't mean to separate secular Muslims from Muslims as a whole, what I mean is seculars don't share the religious agenda and hence will be confused or see such a manuveur as pointless since it may not suit their nation and rather benefit everyone else as a whole.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
What is this news about - a military cooperation of Turkey and Saudi Arabia? Is this related to the downing of the Russian plane by the Turkish air force? I hope the issue will be focused on Syria and the ISIS. And that fighting in Syria is not used for political purposes of meddling countries like Russia and US. But if this is true then I am glad that a joint force of Turkey and Saudi is aimed at, wait, Assad is the president of Syria? Where is the ISIS now in this scene?

Russia is trying to assist Assad regime in retaking important strategic areas in Aleppo and other high geography which will put regime in strong position but also cut off rebels supply line with Turkey. If Russia succeeds in this, then Assad regime will be in good position to do offensive on Idlib and rebels will run out of supplies. Hence Turkey and others see this as opportunity to intervene now and make safe zone to make sure this doesn't happen. Otherwise if it does go through, pretty much they must get involved directly in war with Russia in Syria which is more dangerous.

So yes, if this operation happens it will push ISIS out of Aleppo area more to the east, but with this it will help the other rebels gain control of Aleppo and hence help rebels against Assad which may upset Russia.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Saudi Arabia invites 65 Syrian opposition figures to Riyadh ahead of peace talks

Saudi Arabia has issued invitations to 65 Syrian opposition figures to attend a conference in Riyadh to try to unify their positions ahead of proposed Syrian peace talks, Saudi newspapers reported on Tuesday.

Asharq al-Awsat and al-Hayat said no date has yet been set for the Riyadh meeting, but quoted unnamed sources as saying it could take place next week.

Asharq al-Awsat quoted Ahmed Ramadan, a member of the Syrian National Coalition (SNC) opposition group, as saying that the Saudi foreign ministry had "invited 65 figures to attend the conference in Riyadh".

He said 20 members of the coalition, which is based outside Syria, had been invited, along with seven from the National Coordination Body, an internal opposition group.

Another 10 to 15 places were allocated to rebel leaders and 20 to 25 to independents, business leaders and religious figures, the paper quoted Ramadan as saying.

Saudi Arabia, a main supporter of opposition groups seeking to topple President Bashar al-Assad, has said it was in contact with them about the conference, which comes after an international agreement to launch talks between the government and the opposition by Jan. 1.

The Riyadh meeting marks an attempt to bring together groups whose disunity has been a long-standing obstacle in seeking a peaceful solution to the nearly five-year conflict that has killed more than 250,000 people and displaced millions.

syria-opposition-rebel-dismiss-iran-idea-for-transition.jpg
Thomson ReutersResidents inspect damage from what activists said was an airstrike by forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad on the main field hospital in the town of Douma, eastern Ghouta in Damascus

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry held talks in Abu Dhabi with United Arab Emirates officials and Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir last week to discuss ways of bringing the opposition together.

Al-Hayat newspaper quoted NCB co-chairman, Hassan Abdul-Azim, as saying he had sent a list of 22 nominees, including the head of the Kurdish Democratic Union, Saleh Muslim.

Muslim had said earlier last month that Syrian Kurds need political and military representation at the opposition conference in Riyadh.

Saudi Arabia invites 65 Syrian opposition figures to Riyadh ahead of peace talks - Business Insider

phoenix2015

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Holy cow!! Syria is already overcrowded with other militaries, some with different agendas. Turkey has already shot down a Russian plane. This sounds like a potential recipe for disaster.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi King Salman holds talks with KRG's Barzani

c26e2342-2c16-4773-bd89-b77c372d744c_16x9_788x442.jpg

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman received Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRG)’s President Massoud Barzani in Riyadh for talks on enhancing bilateral ties.

Both leaders discussed different strategies for further cooperation between Saudi Arabia and Iraq, in addition to issues of mutual concern.

The reception was attended by Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Naif, deputy premier and minister of interior, Deputy Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman, second deputy premier and minister of defense, Prince Muqrin, Prince Miteb Bin Abdullah, minister of the National Guard, Riyadh Emir Prince Faisal Bin Bandar, Ibrahim Al-Assaf, minister of finance, Adel Al-Jubeir, minister of foreign affairs, Adel Al-Turaifi, minister of culture and information, and other princes and officials.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/12/02/Saudi-King-Salman-holds-talks-with-KRG-s-Barzani.html

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Turkey Sends Battalion Into Iraq

PENTAGON—

Turkish troops have entered Iraq, for what U.S. officials say appear to be training exercises with Iraqi anti-Islamic State forces.

A Turkish official told Reuters the troops were in the Mosul Bashiqa region for “routine training exercises.” The troops crossed the border about 30 kilometers from the IS-held city of Mosul.

Turkish media reported the deployment, which included tanks and other armored vehicles, was part of a regular turnover with the new Turkish troops replacing special forces that had previously been conducting training for anti-IS forces in the area.

U.S. officials confirmed the move late Friday, saying one Turkish battalion had positioned itself on the Iraqi side of the border.

“They say they're training, seems like they are,” one official told VOA on condition of anonymity.

The U.S. says the deployment is not part of coalition efforts against the Islamic State terror group, but was instead part of a Turkish-Iraqi arrangement.

Turkish officials said it had notified U.S. and other coalition countries in advance of the deployment.

Turkey Sends Battalion Into Iraq

Iraq demands Turkish troops withdraw from near Mosul

The Iraqi government has demanded that Turkey withdraw troops it sent to an area near the northern city of Mosul.

The move was "serious breach of Iraqi sovereignty" Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi's office said in a statement.

Prime Minister's Media Office: The Iraqi government calls on Turkey to respect good neighbourly relations and to withdraw immediately from the Iraqi territory

Dec 3 2015

It has been confirmed to us that Turkish troops numbering around one regiment armoured with tanks and artillery entered the Iraqi territory, and specifically the province of Nineveh claim that they are training Iraqi groups without the request or authorization from the Iraqi federal authorities and this is considered a serious breach of Iraqi sovereignty and does not conform with the good neighbourly relations between Iraq and Turkey.

The Iraqi authorities call on Turkey to respect good neighbourly relations and to withdraw immediately from the Iraqi territory.
Prime Minister's Media Office

5 December 2015

Prime Minister's Media Office: The Iraqi government calls on Turkey to respect good neighbourly relations and to withdraw immediately from the Iraqi territory

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
i also heard from a source that Jordan and Qatar are wanting to join up and take Assad down. It's going to be a mess for several reasons
1. you have to fight Assad and the oppositions who hate everyone (ISIS)
2. if you attack Assad's forces Russia will commence airstrikes on your soldiers and equipment
3. who will actually back your "position" ( Politically)?

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
i also heard from a source that Jordan and Qatar are wanting to join up and take Assad down. It's going to be a mess for several reasons
2. if you attack Assad's forces Russia will commence airstrikes on your soldiers and equipment

I think Saudi Arabia and Turkey enjoy good relations with Europe and the US. They won't be left alone. Both countries can deal with Russia without any help if we take an account their military machine. If Saudi become involved expect the Arab world to be involved as well.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country

Didn't hear such a thing, where did you read about it?

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
i read about it a defense article when i find it again i will share it

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Saudi King Salman holds talks with KRG's Barzani

c26e2342-2c16-4773-bd89-b77c372d744c_16x9_788x442.jpg

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman received Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRG)’s President Massoud Barzani in Riyadh for talks on enhancing bilateral ties.

Both leaders discussed different strategies for further cooperation between Saudi Arabia and Iraq, in addition to issues of mutual concern.

The reception was attended by Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Naif, deputy premier and minister of interior, Deputy Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman, second deputy premier and minister of defense, Prince Muqrin, Prince Miteb Bin Abdullah, minister of the National Guard, Riyadh Emir Prince Faisal Bin Bandar, Ibrahim Al-Assaf, minister of finance, Adel Al-Jubeir, minister of foreign affairs, Adel Al-Turaifi, minister of culture and information, and other princes and officials.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/12/02/Saudi-King-Salman-holds-talks-with-KRG-s-Barzani.html

Definitely there is a coordination between the three Saudi Arabia, Turkey and KRG.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Is it true that Saudi Arabia sent troops to Iraq? I just heard in social media.