TURKEY INVITES FIVE COMPANIES TO BID ON ALTAY MBT ENGINE DEVELOPMENT | World Defense

TURKEY INVITES FIVE COMPANIES TO BID ON ALTAY MBT ENGINE DEVELOPMENT

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
TURKEY INVITES FIVE COMPANIES TO BID ON ALTAY MBT ENGINE DEVELOPMENT
Nov 27, 2017
by Bilal Khan

Altay-03-Otokar-692x360.jpg

Turkey’s government procurement agency the Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) announced that five Turkish companies have responded to the SSM’s bid to develop an indigenous powertrain for the Otokar Altaymain battle tank (MBT).

The Daily Sabah reports that BMC Automotive Industry and Trade Inc., TÜMOSAN Engine and Tractor Industry Inc., Istanbul Marine Shipbuilding Industry and Trade Inc., Figes Physics and Geometry Computer Simulation Trade Inc., and TUSAŞ Motor Sanayii A.Ş (TEI) responded to the SSM’s request-for-proposals (RFP).

This is the SSM’s second attempt at a national diesel engine program for the Altay MBT. Initially, the SSM had contracted TÜMOSAN to secure the requisite expertise and technical support to execute the program.

Notes & Comments:

TÜMOSAN had contracted the Austrian firm AVL List GmbH, but that contract fell through because of the Austrian government’s push to place conditions on its exports to Turkey. TÜMOSAN was unable to secure an alternate partner, citing the reluctance of supplier governments to provide transfer-of-technology and, in some cases, also requiring export licenses on subcomponents available commercially-off-the-shelf.[1]

In March, the SSM had cancelled its contract with TÜMOSAN. Subsequently, the SSM decided that it would be prudent for any future engine development program to guarantee that all subcomponents are free of external intellectual property and regulatory restrictions. The renewed powerplant program will see the Turkish industry develop critical components, such as the hydrostatic steering unit, turbocharger, cooling package, alternator, transmission pumps and others.[2]

Defense News reports that the Altay MBT engine program could be worth over $1 billion U.S. (the given figure likely includes the cost of serial production as well). Currently, the Altay is powered by a 1,500 hp diesel engine from Germany’s MTU Friedrichshafen GmbH. The MTU engine is to equip the Turkish Army’s first 250 Altay MBTs. The SSM has yet to issue the serial production contract for these tanks, but Otokar (which designed the Altay), FNSS Savunma Sistemleri A.Ş. and BMC are competing for the contract.

The national tank engine program is integral to the SSM’s goal of exporting the Altay MBT. Slotted as the next-generation MBT of the Turkish Army, the SSM believes the Altay is a sophisticated and capable asset for high-value exports. The Altay has been pitched to Turkey’s key markets, such as the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states and Pakistan. Weighing 65 tons, the Altay is armed with a 120mm smoothbore gun and two secondary weapons, including 12.7mm heavy machine gun and remote-controlled turret.

[1] “Contract for National Powerpack Development Project Terminated.” MSI Turkish Defence Review. March 2017

[2] Ibid.

https://quwa.org/2017/11/27/turkey-invites-five-companies-bid-altay-mbt-engine-development/

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Why the need to reinvent the wheel? Altay uses German made engine and there was an intention to use an electric powered engine instead of diesel based engine. Turkey can ask for licence to manufacture the engine locally instead of starting from scratch. What happened @T-123456

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Why the need to reinvent the wheel? Altay uses German made engine and there was an intention to use an electric powered engine instead of diesel based engine. Turkey can ask for licence to manufacture the engine locally instead of starting from scratch. What happened @T-123456
The indigenous engine is only for export to countries where we would need a export licence(many strings attached) from the German government,the Germans probably wouldnt allow export to the KSA(Leopard 2A7 deal),Pakistan or most other Muslim countries.
Indigenous engine means no strings attached and we can sell to every country.
Btw,the plan was a hybrid engine,diesel and electric(indigenous).

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The indigenous engine is only for export to countries where we would need a export licence(many strings attached) from the German government,the Germans probably wouldnt allow export to the KSA(Leopard 2A7 deal),Pakistan or most other Muslim countries.
Indigenous engine means no strings attached and we can sell to every country.
Btw,the plan was a hybrid engine,diesel and electric(indigenous).

Why is it talking such long time? If I remember correctly this has been going for what 5 years now?

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Why is it talking such long time? If I remember correctly this has been going for what 5 years now?
I really dont know,they could have teamed up with Japanese or English engine makers who im sure are willing to cooperate,i guess they dont pay enough bribes.
Im sure you know how it works these days in my country.

Atalay

Reactions
283 9 0
Country
Turkey
I really dont know,they could have teamed up with Japanese or English engine makers who im sure are willing to cooperate,i guess they dont pay enough bribes.
Im sure you know how it works these days in my country.

Italy could have been an alternative too ( Fiat engines), French uses Finland origin engines.
BTW here is a new vid released by OTOKAR. Watch after min 5:00 armor tests.
@khafee Bro, can you guess which ammo is fired on the tank ?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Italy could have been an alternative too ( Fiat engines), French uses Finland origin engines.
BTW here is a new vid released by OTOKAR. Watch after min 5:00 armor tests.
@khafee Bro, can you guess which ammo is fired on the tank ?

I'm open to correction, but it looks like a 40mm anti-tank RPG rocket.

Atalay

Reactions
283 9 0
Country
Turkey
Turkish powerpack projects :

- Kale-3500 small TJ engine; protoypes ready
- TEI 1400 hp Turboshaft project; in development
- TEI'nin PD170 Anka engine project; ready for serial production
- Altay Powerpack Project; status unknown
- Land Vehicels Powerpack Unit; BMC proceeding
- MMU motor(National Engine Unit) project; Unknown