Turkish and Greek fighters engage in dogfight over the Aegean Sea | World Defense

Turkish and Greek fighters engage in dogfight over the Aegean Sea

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
image.jpeg
ACCORDING TO GREEK MEDIA OUTLETS, GREEK AND TURKISH JETS ENGAGED IN A BRIEF DOGFIGHT OVER THE AEGEAN SEA AFTER TURKISH AIRCRAFT VIOLATED GREEK AIRSPACE “SEVERAL TIMES.”

As we already explained in the aftermath of the Russian Su-24 shootdown by a Turkish Air Force (TuAF) F-16 over the Syria-Turkey border last month, the skies surrounding the disputed islands of the Aegean Sea are often the theater of incidents between the HAF (Hellenic Air Force) and the TuAF.
image.jpeg

In fact Greece claims 10 miles of air space around a chain of Greek islands lined up along the Turkish west coast, part of those are in very close proximity to the mainland, while Turkey recognizes only six miles (that is to say the extent of the Greek territorial waters, recognized by each other): even though the Greek authorities often report unauthorised military flights directly over the Greek islands, the majority of the close encounters and alleged violations (2,244 in 2014) take place within the four-mile radius between the boundary of the territorial waters (as said, recognized by both parties) and the 10-mile radius which Athens considers its sovereign airspace (while Ankara considers international one).

The latest such incidents (the first since early December) occurred on Dec. 29.

According to Ekathimerini.com, Greek and Turkish jets engaged in a brief dogfight over the Aegean Sea after a formation of six Turkish aircraft “flanked by two CN-235 aircraft that were not in formation” violated Greek national air space nine times.

Noteworthy, two Turkish jets were armed.

It’s not clear where the violations took place but according to the Greek media the TuAF jets were chased by HAF interceptors in all cases.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
The article hints that Turkey is somehow seen as the stumbling block in the delimitation of the water boundaries.--_=
the article explains the situation of the Eagean Sea with maps,thats why i put it there.
Its about the territorial waters,the Greeks claim the Aegean Sea,we dont accept that.
Most of the islands close to Turkiye used to be ours,we lost them thanks to some dumb negotiators from our side at the Laussane Treaty meeting.
We also lost Mosul and some other parts of Northern Iraq(current) and Syria(Allepo/Halep)thanks to these idiots at that treaty.
Treaty of Lausanne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rz3300

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I am not the best with international affairs, especially in this region, but I would have to guess that this has been a topic of contention for some time between these two sides. Any time that you have a land dispute between two sovereign nations it never seems to end well. There is only so much land, and as you know they do not make it anymore, so everyone is going to want as much of it as possible.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
these are typical around Turkey/Greece. now i wont don't deny either side has reasons to claim since Turkey claims a couple islands as well as Greece. but along with the Aegean sea dispute they both have disputes over Cyprus. I have even heard both sides have shot down one another over such disputes.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Whenever I would read an item about territorial claims or disputes, it seems like I would feel the greed of man. My mind would ask me why there needed to have boundaries, why not share everything with everyone. I understand that air space is sacred to some countries because it is considered trespassing but unless the aircraft pose a threat I don't think it is that critical as to shoot down like what happened when the Russian plane was downed by Turkish air force.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
There is reasons countries have territorial disputes
1. it was in their possession and then it was stolen by another country after a war
2. there is language differences and if those people don't like the government who has the territory usually rebels and the other government backs those rebels to prove their points.
3. no air defense and just letting planes in and out of your nations airspace can lead into a invasion and so forth
That's why many countries have territorial dispute
There is many reasons why disputes are always violent or get extremely weird.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
The territorial disputes can be a long thing to sort out and going to court can mean spending money and it can take many years which can leave people exhausted and even if they do get the property they were fighting over they may not enjoy it, as they have spent a long time to try and obtain it and spent a lot of time and money just to get the property back. It is shocking when countries fight over the sea and land which can make it turn brutal which can lead to wars and fights and countries can be enemies towards each other. Turkey and Greece will face losses if they fight each other and many people will lose their lives in the process which will make people suffer and also this will lead to broken relationships between both countries which will be hard to repair in the coming months.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
There is reasons countries have territorial disputes
1. it was in their possession and then it was stolen by another country after a war
2. there is language differences and if those people don't like the government who has the territory usually rebels and the other government backs those rebels to prove their points.
3. no air defense and just letting planes in and out of your nations airspace can lead into a invasion and so forth
That's why many countries have territorial dispute
There is many reasons why disputes are always violent or get extremely weird.

Can you explain the Russian-Ukraine dispute and why some separatists want to join the Russkie.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Strangely I never heard about this incident on the news when it happened. Has there been any more border incursions lately or has the situation all died down now?

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
Can you explain the Russian-Ukraine dispute and why some separatists want to join the Russkie.
The Separatists want to Join Russia because they don't like Ukraine's current government and in Eastern Ukraine in the part of the ongoing feud most people there are extremely Pro-Russian or Russians who moved there.