Turkish intervention in Syria risks Turkey-Russia war, Hollande says | World Defense

Turkish intervention in Syria risks Turkey-Russia war, Hollande says

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Turkey has the capability to smack down Russia back to reality. Plus Turkey is a NATO member and if war erupt god forbids many countries in the region will take Turkey's side and the first one will be Saudi Arabia. Russia knows its weight and won't risk it.

Russia requested UN security council meeting. Where NATO officials stated that NATO will not get into armed escalation with Russia. And that Turkey would be on its own. I believe Turkey feels betrayed. Turkey believes something is being planned against it. It will have to deal with more refugees, be surrounded by Russia and Iran, and have stronger Kurdish presence/arming on their border. These three factors worry Turkey, and that is why it may consider intervening.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Russia requested UN security council meeting. Where NATO officials stated that NATO will not get into armed escalation with Russia. And that Turkey would be on its own. I believe Turkey feels betrayed. Turkey believes something is being planned against it. It will have to deal with more refugees, be surrounded by Russia and Iran, and have stronger Kurdish presence/arming on their border. These three factors worry Turkey, and that is why it may consider intervening.

The Kurds are being supported by the US and other countries and that goes against Turkey and the region interest. It was Turkey that request UN meeting not Russia. The Russians fear a military intervention by regional countries led by Turkey and Saudi Arabia. The US is playing a game in Syria so does the Russians along with Iran and Turkey is feeling the threat here.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I wish the Turkish leadership had some balls.

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
Turkey has the capability to smack down Russia back to reality. Plus Turkey is a NATO member and if war erupt god forbids many countries in the region will take Turkey's side and the first one will be Saudi Arabia. Russia knows its weight and won't risk it.
That's really too bad that Turkey is supportive of the Islamic extremism in the region.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Will NATO really back up Turkey in case of war with Russia? And the UN, I believe, will intervene before that war escalates. It seems to me that Russia is alone by itself since Turkey will be backed up by Saudi Arabia which in turn have many allies in the Middle East that includes Egypt and Jordan. And what about the US? The situation in the Middle East may be getting out of hand such that so many Facebook posts are hinting of a 3rd world war.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Turkey's main reason to go into Syria is to get wage a campaign against the Kurds, therefore, there it's hardly likely that there would be a confrontation between Russia and Turkey. There is talk of the West backing Turkey against Russia which is hardly likely, there won't be any undue haste by any of these countries to get into a war with Russia, and Russia would have it's backers too, Countries like China amongst others

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard a lot of people say that if Turkey and Russia go head to head, then NATO will have a duty to help Turkey but from what I understand that's not strictly true.

If Turkey instigated the fight then NATO doesn't have to do anything other than try and get the two countries to negotiate is what I've understood the ruling as?

Last edited:

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It is a big question, I think, whether NATO will back Turkey. It is more likely that United Nations will jump in and try to stop possible war but we can not bes sure about that either. Russia has allies in this although it might look like they do not and I believe that if the global war escalates it will be this duel to start it. All alone Turkey has nothing to hope for against Russia and they know that for sure.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
NATO won't back Turkey in a conflict in Syria or against Russia. The reason why is because many NATO countries don't care one way or another about Turkey or Syria (Harsh to say but its truth). Turkey might intervene in Syria for 3 reasons.
A. To stop the creation of a stronger Kurdish present, their Syrian Turkmens been trained by Turkish armed forces and have engaged the Kurdish YPG a couple times.
B. to remove their known enemy, Assad from Power
C. to counter the Iranian and Russian influence/Presence in Syria.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
NATO won't back Turkey in a conflict in Syria or against Russia. The reason why is because many NATO countries don't care one way or another about Turkey or Syria (Harsh to say but its truth). Turkey might intervene in Syria for 3 reasons.
A. To stop the creation of a stronger Kurdish present, their Syrian Turkmens been trained by Turkish armed forces and have engaged the Kurdish YPG a couple times.
B. to remove their known enemy, Assad from Power
C. to counter the Iranian and Russian influence/Presence in Syria.
Not harsh,its the truth.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Turkey does seem to be one of those countries that thinks it's more important than what it is, and I think if push did come to shove there wouldn't be many countries backing it even if that was against the Russians.

Russia aren't exactly everyone's favourite country so to suggest that Turkey will have less support than them, really shows what I think people think about Turkey.