Turkish ship attacked as it approached Libya's Tobruk | World Defense

Turkish ship attacked as it approached Libya's Tobruk

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
c106e0e5-3891-4c9d-b497-0edc3c4863a9_16x9_600x338.jpg

A Turkish dry cargo ship was shelled from the Libyan coast as it approached Tobruk port. (File photo: AFP)

By Reuters | Istanbul
Monday, 11 May 2015
A Turkish dry cargo ship was shelled from the Libyan coast as it approached Tobruk port and then attacked from the air as it tried to leave the area on Sunday, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said on Monday.

The ship's third officer died and other crew members were wounded in the attacks, which the ministry condemned in a statement, saying the ship was in international waters at the time. The statement did not specify who launched the attacks.

"We condemn strongly this contemptible attack which targeted a civilian ship in international waters and curse those who carried it out," it said. Ankara had protested to authorities in Libya. There was no immediate comment from Libyan officials.

A Libyan warplane from forces loyal to the internationally recognised government bombed a Greek-operated oil tanker anchored off Libya's Mediterranean coast in January, killing two crewmen amid hostilities between factions vying to rule the oil-producing North African country.

Internationally recognised Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni said in February his government would stop dealing with Turkey because it was sending weapons to a rival group in Tripoli so that "the Libyan people kill each other".

The cargo ship, owned by a Turkish company, was carrying plasterboard from Spain to Tobruk when it was hit 21 km (13 miles) from the port, suffering some damage, the Foreign Ministry statement said.

Last Update: Monday, 11 May 2015 KSA 11:57 - GMT 08:57
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/05/11/Turkish-ship-attacked-as-it-approached-Libya-s-Tobruk.html

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
With Erdogan as president and his page as prime minister Davutoglu,nothing but Blah Blah will happen.
Every other Turkish government would have flattened the positions the shells came from(we have subs and frigates in the Mediterranean).
Btw,they also attacked they ships when leaving the area,very honourable.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
With Erdogan as president and his page as prime minister Davutoglu,nothing but Blah Blah will happen.
Every other Turkish government would have flattened the positions the shells came from(we have subs and frigates in the Mediterranean).
The moderate Libyan forces have been accusing Turkey of supporting and arming MB armed militias. If this is true, Turkey is just following Iranian footsteps by unwanted interference in other countries internal affairs.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
The moderate Libyan forces have been accusing Turkey of supporting and arming MB armed militias. If this is true, Turkey is just following Iranian footsteps by unwanted interference in other countries internal affairs.

Then solution is needed. Not one where Arab liberals decide outcome of all Arab affairs. Especially in countries where nobody wants your influence, like syria. They do not want Arab liberals to tell them how to manage their country after Assad regime fall. Let alone other Arab nations.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Moderate,really?
Explain Libyan moderates,i would like to know who they are?
I know Erdogan is supporting the MB but whats that got to do with attacking a harmless ship carrying goods for another Libyan town?
Btw,interference in other countries affairs?
Are you sure you want to go there?

Last edited:

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Moderate,really?
Explain Libyan moderates,i would like to know who they are?
The pact led by Khalifa Hafter.
I know Erdogan is supporting the MB but whats that got to do with attacking a harmless ship carrying good for another Libyan town?
Btw,interference in other countries affairs?
Are you sure you want to go there?
Yes, unwanted interference.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
The pact led by Khalifa Hafter.
The ship was destined for Tobruk where Khalifa Hafter is the commander of forces of the internationally recognized Tobruk government,so what is going on here?
Didnt they know the ship was coming and why transport the goods with a Turkish ship when Turkish ships are not allowed to enter Libyan territory?

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
The ship was destined for Tobruk where Khalifa Hafter is the commander of forces of the internationally recognized Tobruk government,so what is going on here?
Didnt they know the ship was coming and why transport the goods with a Turkish ship when Turkish ships are not allowed to enter Libyan territory?
I don't know about the details to be honest with you. But Turkey has been arming and supporting Islamists according to many Libyan officials. I'm not talking here about the ship BTW.

Sinan

Reactions
226 2 0
Country
Turkey
I don't know about the details to be honest with you. But Turkey has been arming and supporting Islamists according to many Libyan officials. I'm not talking here about the ship BTW.
And Iran says we are aiding ISIS....and some others say other things.

If these cowards have evidence they should present, otherwise they should just zip it.

And they should be thankful to god that we have a coward leader like Erdoğan.....if Osman Pamukoğlu had been in charge, that military base already had been leveled.

Sinan

Reactions
226 2 0
Country
Turkey
Pamukoğlu explained this situation years ago.

If point your gun at me. This means, you are saying "I'm braver than you and i fight better than you"....the moment you do this, i will take the gun from your hand and shove it back to your throat.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
And Iran says we are aiding ISIS....and some others say other things.

If these cowards have evidence they should present, otherwise they should just zip it.

And they should be thankful to god that we have a coward leader like Erdoğan.....if Osman Pamukoğlu had been in charge, that military base already had been leveled.
You are wrong mate,with every other leader we wouldnt be in this mess and incidents like this would never have happened.
We would have stayed out of Arab affairs.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Why would anyone, I know Libya is in a state of turmoil now, but why would anyone attack an unarmed cargo ship? Yes, piracy happens, but it does not come at the cost of privateers anymore, at least that I know of.